T amps vs. gainclones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi rajacat, Thanks for the info and links. Yes, I am getting some awesume dynamics with this combo of Trends and NAD pre-amp. I had been by-passing the tone controls of the NAD for that clean class T sound. Then I tried the tone controls with both the bass and treble flat, and that sounded better than by-passing the tone controls. Then I gave the bass a little positive turn. Yes, there it was, I am able to get a very nice sound with a slight adjustment. I still leave the treble flat.

Not only do I get the liquid soundfield, but it is also a warmer sound with a little more texture at the end of notes, I forgot to mention that. It also added depth over the Trends by itself.

I am very happy at this point. Charlize is next, but I'm enjoying this for now!

to DWK123,

it is not about the load... my gainclone NI LM3875 (Peter Daniel, standard component, with hi cap + snubber) drive my Dynaudio Audience 40 (min. 3.9 ohm) with ease... For few years... I thought it sounded very good...

But only after I use my amp to power an open baffle full range driver... (GM/Delco speaker)... even with 3.7 ohm impedance... I only realise how good LM3875 gainclone is... superb transparency...

Don't worry about the load....

REgards,
---
David

I have the original 25 watt Gaincard powered by a 50 watt Humpty, a couple of tweaked out SI T-amps, and Charlize with BG-N input caps and aircore coils.

Out of the three, I think the Gaincard is the most musical and involving. The modded T-amp is very good, but I find that the sound is a bit too lean or threadbare in my system. Great resolution, but after a day or two of listening, I found I couldn't really relax while listening to music. I just kept on noticing how resolving it was, yet was always just slightly annoyed at that lack of roundness and warmth. I'm pretty satisfied with Charlize - I think she far outshines the modded T-amp. On first listen to Charlize, I thought: Sounds really close to the Gaincard. Maybe a bit more resolving but a little less fuzzy but really similar and a lot cheaper. I enjoyed it. Yet after about half a year, I put the Gaincard back in and was blown away. It was fuzzier, less resolving, and warmer, but it captured the feeling of the music so much better. I thought: yeah, out of the three this is the one.

Of course, system matching is key. I use a good tube preamp with all of the above, and my speakers are Lowthers and a number of other speakers. Both class D are powered by SLAs. Gaincard has a 3rd party power cable (I thought it sounded a bit lean with the generic stock one).

Incidentally, my brother is using my pair of Klipsch Heresies with the modded T-amp, and that's a really good match. Sounds great. Interestingly, Charlize sounded way too soft and mushy in the same setup and I haven't had a chance to hook up the Gaincard to the Heresies.

Right now I'm using Charlize with Klipsch Synergy F3's, and I'm very happy with it. The only reason I'm not using the Gaincard in this system is that after I moved to another town, the Gaincard now seems to be picking up the local NPR station quite loudly.

In my own experience, I like the Gaincard the best, then Charlize, then modded T-amp. Of course, all of this may flip-flop depending on system matching and your ear.

Best,
KT

sharpi31 said:

To my ears, gainclones sound much less 'in your face' and less obviously exciting. They are less gripping at first listen but are more balanced and even-sounding overall.

It is similar to comparing Kylie (small, excitable, lot's of dazzle and glamor, slight lack of depth) to Audrey Hepburn (cool, considered, less in your face). I'm just more of an Audrey man...

:cheerful: absolutely! Then again, everyone has their Kylie moments now and again.... so it's nice to have both... :happy1:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.