Just finished my first SI t-amp mods.. (no pics)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wanted to post a thread to commemorate my project... replaced the input caps with 2.2uf caps (and threw a 22k ohm resistor in series with them), wired a SPST switch, new panasonic pot, new case, speaker binding posts and RCA inputs. Fun stuff - trying to jumper c3/c4 was a real pain though - crappy soldering iron... sigh

Anyway, amazingly my amateur work has paid off... sort of. I don't notice much of an improvement on the low end but the drivers it's powering (audio nirvana super 10's) are pretty weak with respect to bass to begin with (enclosure design problem). I do notice a better channel separation for some reason though - maybe getting away from that lousy 3.5mm input jack and cable they packaged with it?

At any rate, not really a project for someone who doesn't have a ton of experience with a soldering iron. I think I *barely* fit the skill requirements :)

Thanks to all who have gone through the painstaking documentation work. The next question I had though - I hear a very very very subtle hum that I think is induced from the 12v PS. I will google it - but is there an easy way to filter this?

Congrats nukegoat! Not to hijack your thread, but I finished the same project few hours ago and thought this thread would be appropriate place to post my experiences also. I hope you're ok with that?

I used Soniqs SAX caps and just quickly put everything together in... a shoebox. Looks dangerous and quite out-of-place on top of my Rogue Audio tube pre-amp. :D But the bass is finally there, and my set-up sounds sweeter than ever!
I had similar experience with bridging C3/C4. The first one was pure luck, somehow managed to splash just the right amount of solder around there, but the next one was trickier. So I used the wrap wire method (which I will also be using with the next amp). Way easier.

My previous experience with using a soldering iron is from 7-8 years back when I was moving around the little resistors on an AMD Athlon CPU. So.. it was hard, but I'd imagine most people familiar with the basic concepts of using a soldering iron should be able to do it. If uncertain, practise with an old sound card for example.

Some people may find the attached picture shocking, so click at your own risk! My excuse it that this was just a quick hack to see if I can do this or not. I have another t-amp waiting, it will get all the connectors, new wiring and I will remove the volume pot (as I'm using it as a power amp) and add a power switch, new casing. After that the shoebox amp will get the same treatment.

Last, I'd also like thank everyone who has made modding of t-amp possible for novices like me, especially forum member Panomaniac.

Attachments

• img_0039.jpg
    img_0039.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 360
nukegoat said:
Just wanted to post a thread to commemorate my project... replaced the input caps with 2.2uf caps (and threw a 22k ohm resistor in series with them), wired a SPST switch, new panasonic pot, new case, speaker binding posts and RCA inputs. Fun stuff - trying to jumper c3/c4 was a real pain though - crappy soldering iron... sigh

I failed twice!, I think now I can do this. Cost is approaching $100. Guess it is matter of pride.

Congradulations.

gychang

Re: Re: Just finished my first SI t-amp mods.. (no pics)

gychang said:

I failed twice!, I think now I can do this. Cost is approaching $100. Guess it is matter of pride.

Congradulations.

gychang

:) you'll get it. Do you have good tools? They make a difference... good solder tips, steady hands, thin solder, little clamps, good lighting, etc...

Re: Re: Re: Just finished my first SI t-amp mods.. (no pics)

nukegoat said:

:) you'll get it. Do you have good tools? They make a difference... good solder tips, steady hands, thin solder, little clamps, good lighting, etc...

I have the equipment but questionable skill but feel much more confident now, key is practicing taking the caps off the failed boards. I can now consistently take the caps off properly.

gychang

Lol, I thought bass was still a bit bit shy. I was already thinking maybe I got the wrong caps for my taste or something. Anyway, I decided to play with the speakers (Quad 21Ls, 89db/w), moved them closer to the wall, so they're now about 12.5cm (5 inches) from the rear wall..
I put on "Top Floor, Bottom Buzzer" by Morphine (how appropriate) and everything (including the floor) is just vibrating wildly in the room (still at reasonable listening level). These babies seem to be quite picky about where they wanna sit, now it looks like they wanna be closer to me. Luckily mrs. is on vacation now, so it's no problem.
The speakers are almost minimum what people recommend (90db/w) for SI, so they should not be a piece of cake for SI by any means, but what do I know.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.