Sonic Impact Gen 2 T-Amp ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yer, I just bumped onto SI's page and found they had the Gen 2 and you guys already beat me to it ...LoL

The photos on the internals is much more neatly assembled and the PCB is much better laid out from the original T and the simplier case is more pleasing on the eyes. I suspect just changing the cheap spring clips to RCA will be the only real mods needed, but I am very interested on how the headphone amp works, is it even possible for the TA2024 chip to drive 32ohm+ headphones ?

They also seem to be carrying a 30W PCI slot amp that connects directly to your soundcard ... thats an interesting option also !

The PCI amp is interesting, but its a power amp, and thus relies on your software volume control which is a big no-no for sound quality. Well, unless you go to extraordinary lengths to preamp it externally. So I figure that since its basically the same thing as the T-amp, costs more, is inside the RF frenzy that is the inside of your PC and is running directly off your PC's power supply which I can't believe is a very clean source, why not just get the Gen2 or maybe the Super (or a Trends) and call it a day?

Kensai

I just found out that SI had released a new version of this amp. Haven't read a whole lot on the SI amps since I moved on to other gear a couple of years ago.

But I really have to say "Wow." Not about the amp but about how everyone sounds so cynical and negative about SI and the Gen 2 T-amp.

Did I miss something in the last couple of years? I always thought SI and the T-amp ushered in a new era of good sounding really affordable class-D amps. Maybe the original T-amp isn't quite as good as some of the current offerings, and maybe the Gen-2 is a minor upgrade, but at the price it still seems to be a decent if not good value.

Did SI do something to make everyone so bitter and angry?

Just wondering. Maybe I missed something along the way.

Best,
KT

^^^
Well, SI did come out with their Super T-Amp($149.99) and now their Gen 2($79.99), but I guess what everyone(DIY or budget audiophiles) hate is that they always use the cheap spring speaker clips instead of RCA and banana jacks.

The Trends Audio TA10.1($149.99) is still the current champ of the T-Amp world. I would like to try the Winsome Lab amp, but its a bit more expensive($399) then the current TA-10.1 offerings.

Cheap nice cases for modded t-Amps?
Nothin' easier...

Attachments

• cimg0883.2.jpg
    cimg0883.2.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,555
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.