Sonic Impact Gen 2 T-Amp ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Errr, I searched but didn't find anything. But then, my searches on DIYAudio frequently don't turn up what I was expecting.

So can it be that nobody has talked about the Sonic Impact T-Amp Gen 2?

$60 at Parts Express, looks prettied up from the first one, includes PS (3 A). Anyone heard it? Anyone looked inside yet? What is the same, what's different? Input caps, PS cap, potentiometer?

http://www.si5.com/products.php?pID=4046

Getting a nice case can be pretty expensive...

I think it was the PE page that mentions it is redesigned from the ground up. So who knows, it might be different inside. If nothing else I would hope to see larger input caps, if maybe not higher quality ones...

From the pics it looks like the speaker outs are still the cheapo clamps, and the line in is still a headphone plug.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I find it very funny how SI used the heading "Pro Amplifiers" on their website.

It's also worth noting that they have reduced the listed output power of the standard SI and the Gen 2 to 5W per channel while leaving the Super-T's listing at 15W per channel... What a marketing ploy.

BWRX said:
I find it very funny how SI used the heading "Pro Amplifiers" on their website.

It's also worth noting that they have reduced the listed output power of the standard SI and the Gen 2 to 5W per channel while leaving the Super-T's listing at 15W per channel... What a marketing ploy.

Yes the "M" word. IMHO that's all this new amp is.

I think Sonic Impact hit on something they weren't quite expecting with the original amp and now they are trying to ride the "T-Amp" horse until it has split hooves and broken legs.

Anon1

Your case looks killer! Did you... what, paint it? Bronze it? Something? Yours looks bronze, but the PE part you linked looks black.

Marketing ploy? Maybe just capitalism in action. Quality amp, great price but never in stock? The obvious answer is raise the price. If SF increases it's margins maybe they'll be able to manufacture them fast enough that you can buy one w/o a 2 month wait... :rolleyes:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
AdamThorne said:
Marketing ploy? Maybe just capitalism in action. Quality amp, great price but never in stock? The obvious answer is raise the price.

All three amps SI offers (T-amp, Gen 2, and Super-T) use the same Tripath chip and basically the same circuit and components. I'll bet the Gen 2 is just a slightly revised T-amp (probably just a few component upgrades) in a new case with a higher price.

theAnonymous1 said:
I

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

your amp looks great. where did u get the knob?

panomaniac said:
Well I'll know soon. Have one on the way.

Won't be able to do any modding until after RMAF, but I'll post what info I find - along with pix.

always look forward your input and pictures so newbies like me can follow.

gychang

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
First Look at GEN-2

Got one today. Nice little box. About the same size as the original Sonic. Still all plastic, but not nearly as tall. Thinner and deeper.

And it comes with a power supply! Ah, ha. That's where the higher price come in. Same style of 12V SMPS as comes with The Super-T or the Trends.

New amp has the same cheap little spring clips on the back for the speakers. Not the worlds best, but meant for a small portable amp like this. Good binding posts might weigh more than the whole amp.

Same 1/8" mini plug for audio input. Battery compartments on the sides underneath, just like the first one. 8 AA batteries.

Here's an odd thing, it has a headphone jack! I don't know yet how it's fed, it may simply jump off the input.

You can see the photo below with an old SI case on top for comparison.

Attachments

• gen2-box.jpg
    gen2-box.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 3,079
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Insides

What's inside?

Have a look at the photo below.
All new printed circuit board. New pot and switch. Cool blue LEDs for the volume knob.

On the right you'll see the wires leading to headphone jack.

There are 3 transistors on the PCB, don't know yet what they do, maybe power-on pop suppression.

Seems to be the same output section as the Sonic Gen-1. There is a 470uF cap on the PCB near pin 1 (lower left of photo). Might be the power cap AKA "tank cap."

I'll check into all this when I get a chance. Just thought y'all would like to see the new beast.

Attachments

• gen2-inside.jpg
    gen2-inside.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 3,644
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.