25 W Amplifier for Senior Project, due Friday - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2007, 03:09 PM   #1
Cyguy84 is offline Cyguy84  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 25 W Amplifier for Senior Project, due Friday

Short Version:

I am using a full bridge design, and I have PWM signals coming from my output NMOS to the inductors. Before the inductor, it is a 0-20V PWM signal... after the inductors, it is a 5-20V mostly-sine wave.

The resulting differential signal across the 8 ohm resistor has Vpp of 27V-- resulting in 11.7W.

I need 25W to get a B. That means I need the Vpp to be closer to 40. How can I get less voltage drop across this inductor?

(Inductor value: 220 uH. Capacitor value: 4uF.
Set up in typical
L-R-L
-C-
arrangement with capacitors to ground as well.)

Long version:
Hello all--

First I would like to apologize for the rushed nature of this post. I was trying to design the entire thing on my own, but I have run into a problem that I can't solve, so I would like to get a B instead of a D.

Background: I started this project with a partner, we were to build the entire amplifier over the summer. It was my partners idea, so I was basically letting him set the pace. Bad idea-- he got kicked out of my major with a GPA below 2.0, and I was left to finish his half of the project.

I have built a working Class D amplifier, full bridge, using a triangle wave and a comparator, but the output is nothing to be proud of. That was his half of the project, so I am learning it on the fly.

In order to get a B, I need 25W. I was able to get 11.7W today, but I would like any sort of expert advice on how to improve it.

Output:
For now, I think it is safe to ignore all of the circuitry before the Gate drivers. It is a basic Preamp design, with a triangle wave and a comparator, and it works within the range I need it to.

The gate drivers are Fairchild 73832 parts. I have a .22 uF capacitor acting as the boostrap capacitor to drive the high side NMOS. The NMOS are Fairchild FDB8447 parts. If you haven't noticed, I get free Fairchild stuff

I have the Gate Driver running on a 15V supply, while the NMOS power supply goes from 20V to 0V. I can increase or decrease this within any reasonable limit.

Output Filter:
I had to scurry about and make the full bridge design work, so I didn't plan things out as well as I would typically like. I took the basic design that I have seen for this sort of load-- inductors in series with the load, with a capacitor in parallel, and two capacitors to ground.

I only need the low pass filter to pass 10Hz-2kHz input, so I think my values are appropriate. Doubling the 4uF and halfing the 8 ohm load gives a basic LC filter with 220uH, 8 uF and 4 ohm load. The cutoff frequency should be somewhere around 4kHz.

If anyone wants more information, I can gladly fill in the rest of the circuit-- I am a bit ashamed of it, as it is very crude and basic, but as I said-- I had to just throw things together a bit.

Any advice on any part of this output stage would be awesome. Thank you very much!
Old 22nd September 2007, 05:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 23rd September 2007, 08:46 PM   #3
Tim__x is offline Tim__x  Canada
diyAudio Member

What's your switching frequency and your signal frequency?
Old 24th September 2007, 02:09 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Switching at only 20kHz, as my input has to be between 10Hz and 2 kHz.

I can change the switching frequency up to 1 MHz with the chip I am using, but I would only do that to get full audio, which I don't need for B grade.
Old 24th September 2007, 02:43 AM   #5
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Try increasing the switching frequency to say 100kHz and raising the cutoff frequency of the output filter (so you can use smaller inductors and caps).

A good rule of thumb is to a use a switching frequency that is at least 10x the highest frequency you want to reproduce.
Old 24th September 2007, 03:23 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

At what point will the increase in the switching frequency start causing trouble?

I can change the switching frequency basically at will-- just slap a new cap in there and it works. But the cutoff filter is the hard part, I have to order new parts if I want to change that. And I only have a week.

I think I will try pumping the switching frequency to about 40kHz, so 20X... and leaving the filter. (FYI, I put a .47 uF cap in the filter, instead of the 4, and it changed the output but did not increase the power... so I can't increase the power by moving the cutoff frequency unless I order a new inductor, I guess)

Any more advice? Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it-- I forgot completely about the switching frequency, and there are probably more things you guys can point out.
Old 24th September 2007, 03:24 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

And I phrased it wrong, but I meant that as in I will test it tomorrow, at 40kHz and with the same components, because I would have to order new ones.

If that doesn't help, I'll order some new inductors and maybe go for full audio band.
Old 24th September 2007, 03:34 AM   #8
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

If you are using toroidal inductors you can just unwind some turns to lower the inductance.

Higher switching frequencies require better PCB layout and closer consideration of parasitics. The 300-400kHz is a good range to aim for as far as class d audio amps are concerned (that's just my opinion). Higher is better, of course, because it shifts the switching frequency further away from the audio band and allows the use of a higher cutoff frequency (smaller inductors, capacitors).
Old 24th September 2007, 12:18 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yeah, this project is completely not up to my standards of work. I was told that we didn't have to do the PCB design until fall semester, so the project that I have now is just on circuit board.

There are inches of wires connecting the inductor to the resistor, and unfortunately, there is little I can do about it. Thats one reason I am trying to lessen the switching frequency for now.

Turns out the entire project needs to be built by now, but I think I will design it in PCB just for prides sake, even though it won't help my grade.
Old 24th September 2007, 03:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Here is the current output. I'm getting 75% efficiency, I finally got 25W but I would like to clean it up a little.

Here is just the output waveform:

Here is the + and - of the resistive load... what is causing all the craziness?

Hide this!Advertise here!