Sonic Impact balance problem?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi - I've been lurking around but into audio for a while. Anyway, my class a/b generic amp started blaring out square waves and so while I RMA it I figured I'd check out a SI T amp since I've heard a lot about them for a while... I'm pushing a pair of Audio Nirvana Super 10's with it, so the low power output is fine. Anyway, at low volumes, only the left channel comes on... then at minor volumes, the right starts to come in, but it always seems to lag about 5-6dB behind the left. Has anyone else had this problem? How can I fix it? Are the batteries I put in on the right side weaker? :)

nukegoat said:
Hi - Anyway, at low volumes, only the left channel comes on... then at minor volumes, the right starts to come in, but it always seems to lag about 5-6dB behind the left. Has anyone else had this problem? How can I fix it? Are the batteries I put in on the right side weaker? :)

I had the same problem and sent it back for replacement. Guess this is why so cheap, since than I messed it up trying to mod. Long story...

gychang

nukegoat,

yes, you could control volume with the PC with no problems I'd say - however, it's possible that might be as bad for sound quality as the cheap volume pot (though much better for balance I'm sure)

just be careful when you power everything up where that software volume is set!

I recently ran across a short basic comparison of operating system volume controls here:
http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/computer_audio/advanced_usb_audio.html

but then there are a huge number of variables in the PC world anyway, so depending on your audio card/ouput your software etc... this may be better or worse - so try it and find out! - heck running through the T-amp, it can't be that big of a deal ;-)

I think my ears are more sensitive to peaks and dips in frequency response than they are 110 vs 120 s/n ratios. People talk about the virtues of the t-amp over standard class a/b as if it's night and day... to me it's inframarginal, I can't even hear the difference... I wonder if I'll get banned on this board for saying that, though...

Thanks guys

BWRX said:

You are being deleted as I type... ;)

haha... it's not to say I won't continue buying the film and foil caps, refusing to use anything other than 12awg wire and being picky about the quality of interconnects - i just know that technically someone could switch most of those things without me knowing and I'd never figure it out. I guess years of SPL competition ruined me

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.