Sonic Impact balance problem? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2007, 06:16 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Post Sonic Impact balance problem?

Hi - I've been lurking around but into audio for a while. Anyway, my class a/b generic amp started blaring out square waves and so while I RMA it I figured I'd check out a SI T amp since I've heard a lot about them for a while... I'm pushing a pair of Audio Nirvana Super 10's with it, so the low power output is fine. Anyway, at low volumes, only the left channel comes on... then at minor volumes, the right starts to come in, but it always seems to lag about 5-6dB behind the left. Has anyone else had this problem? How can I fix it? Are the batteries I put in on the right side weaker?
Old 20th September 2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Sounds like a problem with the volume pot.

Just how good a pot did you want in a $30 amp?

Only way to fix it is to replace it. But hey, you wanted to mod and upgrade anyway, right?
Old 20th September 2007, 04:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well - My other thought was maybe I could just eliminate the volume pot altogether...
Old 20th September 2007, 08:18 PM   #4
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

That would be a good idea, if you have a preamp. No need for 2 volume controls.

Do you run yours with a preamp?
Old 21st September 2007, 01:59 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

ahh no - but i'm feeding it an input signal from my computer... I know it's not the best but I can adjust volume with the computer, no?
Old 21st September 2007, 02:03 AM   #6
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Sonic Impact balance problem?

Quote:
Originally posted by nukegoat
Hi - Anyway, at low volumes, only the left channel comes on... then at minor volumes, the right starts to come in, but it always seems to lag about 5-6dB behind the left. Has anyone else had this problem? How can I fix it? Are the batteries I put in on the right side weaker?
I had the same problem and sent it back for replacement. Guess this is why so cheap, since than I messed it up trying to mod. Long story...

gychang
Old 21st September 2007, 03:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

nukegoat,

yes, you could control volume with the PC with no problems I'd say - however, it's possible that might be as bad for sound quality as the cheap volume pot (though much better for balance I'm sure)

just be careful when you power everything up where that software volume is set!

I recently ran across a short basic comparison of operating system volume controls here:
http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/comput...usb_audio.html

but then there are a huge number of variables in the PC world anyway, so depending on your audio card/ouput your software etc... this may be better or worse - so try it and find out! - heck running through the T-amp, it can't be that big of a deal ;-)
Old 21st September 2007, 05:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I think my ears are more sensitive to peaks and dips in frequency response than they are 110 vs 120 s/n ratios. People talk about the virtues of the t-amp over standard class a/b as if it's night and day... to me it's inframarginal, I can't even hear the difference... I wonder if I'll get banned on this board for saying that, though...

Thanks guys
Old 21st September 2007, 05:26 PM   #9
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by nukegoat
People talk about the virtues of the t-amp over standard class a/b as if it's night and day... to me it's inframarginal, I can't even hear the difference... I wonder if I'll get banned on this board for saying that, though...
You are being deleted as I type...
Old 21st September 2007, 07:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BWRX

You are being deleted as I type...
haha... it's not to say I won't continue buying the film and foil caps, refusing to use anything other than 12awg wire and being picky about the quality of interconnects - i just know that technically someone could switch most of those things without me knowing and I'd never figure it out. I guess years of SPL competition ruined me

Hide this!Advertise here!