U.K Modders missing a trick ?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
(form Puffin). After messing with my amp I seem to have a short somewhere. The stock SMPS has a fault facility and the LED flashes and seems to only supply about 2-3 volts. The supply is not stable and is constantly rising and falling. I have not done anything apart from hard-wiring the inductors to the diodes, where the original tracks disintegrated. Any ideas anyone ?

I'll post a pic if it helps, but the thing looks anything but pretty now!

I have just finished the basics on a second board which is fully cut down.
Be very careful if you change the inductors, to much heat and the tracks will disappear. The inductors need to make contact with both sides of the board.

Attachments

• ken3.jpg
    ken3.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 144
Hi Lee, that's why I couldn't find them at Farnells, it was RS that I must have got the last lot from :cannotbe: .
I am just running it in at the moment with old speakers, so I have no idea if it is better yet.
The old ferrites needed 12 turns and the new ones need 18, I have no idea if it is better to have more or less turns for the desired 10uH. It's all trial and error for me :confused:

Ahhhh:D
Well I'm no expert but that could mean they will saturate easier at higher currents... having a lower permeability... . hope not mate:cannotbe:

Anyway, that link I posted seems to go astray so if you look for fair-rite, 5961000201 on RS then those are the ones.

If you can fit them in then go for the 5961000301 it's perfect for a sonic but may be a little big for this board..

In fact, on my Charlize I changed them to larger cores (5961004901 same material) to ensure there is no saturation at higher listening levels. probably overkill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.