Trends Audio TA-10 - right channel crackles. It's rare, but annoying. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2007, 09:03 AM   #11
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: It's not the TA-10!

Quote:
Originally posted by rbclark
The "direct" mode is flat.
I suppose you do not mean flat as in a flat frequency response - you mean "lacking depth."

Your preamp is probably pumping up the lows and low mids -maybe the top end, too. That would tend to give the sound more "body", something sorely needed by most fullrange drivers. If you are using the mic and auto EQ, then the preamp may be adjusting for the missing bass that so many FR drivers have. In other words, the auto EQ in the Pioneer is making up for the lack of bass and low mid provided by your speaker/room combo.

Yeah, it's better to avoid as much processing as you can, but if this EQ is happening fully in the digital domain it may be fairly benign. The best sounding solution is usually to have a speaker that can faithfully reproduce most of the frequency range. Those are either very large, or need lots of power. A 6" driver is going to be hard pressed to provide much low end, especially a full range 6". It's going to need a lot of help from the cabinet.

So you may be boosting the bass and low mids that are typically weak with FR speakers. If it works, why worry? The only big problem I foresee is the Trends running out of power with all the EQ bass boost.

I suggest you play around with the DSP settings on the Pioneer, find what you like. The automated room correction would be a good place to start. It will should) correct the frequency response of your Fostex speakers.

Later on you may want a "bigger, better" speaker that does not need so much EQ to sound tonally balanced.
Old 3rd October 2007, 10:45 AM   #12
rbclark is offline rbclark  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: It's not the TA-10!

Quote:
Originally posted by panomaniac

I suppose you do not mean flat as in a flat frequency response - you mean "lacking depth."

Your preamp is probably pumping up the lows and low mids -maybe the top end, too. That would tend to give the sound more "body", something sorely needed by most fullrange drivers. If you are using the mic and auto EQ, then the preamp may be adjusting for the missing bass that so many FR drivers have. In other words, the auto EQ in the Pioneer is making up for the lack of bass and low mid provided by your speaker/room combo.

Yeah, it's better to avoid as much processing as you can, but if this EQ is happening fully in the digital domain it may be fairly benign. The best sounding solution is usually to have a speaker that can faithfully reproduce most of the frequency range. Those are either very large, or need lots of power. A 6" driver is going to be hard pressed to provide much low end, especially a full range 6". It's going to need a lot of help from the cabinet.

So you may be boosting the bass and low mids that are typically weak with FR speakers. If it works, why worry? The only big problem I foresee is the Trends running out of power with all the EQ bass boost.

I suggest you play around with the DSP settings on the Pioneer, find what you like. The automated room correction would be a good place to start. It will should) correct the frequency response of your Fostex speakers.

Later on you may want a "bigger, better" speaker that does not need so much EQ to sound tonally balanced.
Thanks for the discussion on this. Yes - lacking depth. I'll definitely be doing some experimentation with the preamp settings.

I have two other speaker enhancements on my todo list: 1 - I may build the Spawn Iris ; 2 - I have a sub woofer I intend to try out. But for now, with what the pre-amp is doing, I'm pretty happy - except for the occasional crackle in the right channel.

Thanks,
Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!