T-amp with remote preamp: same power supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, all.

Some time ago, I bought a remote-controlled Dantimax Remote Kit 3 (passive, remote controlled preamp...really cool stuff...) http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/Preamps_-_poweramps/index.html

I have been meaning to bridge out my T-amp's volume control and route it through the Dantimax hard-wired. Of course, this would ideally be in one case.

However, my problem is that I don't know if I will have to use two power supplies.

For the T-amp, I have one of the "recommended" Pyramid supplies at 13.8 VDC, 3A (I believe...this picture looks just like it... http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=120-532 )

For the Remote 3, which calls for a 6-12V AC or 7.5-15V DC 500mA supply, I have been using just a 12 V wallwart I found around the house.

First of all, can I just use the pyramid as a "master" supply to power both? Will that degrade amp performance? Finally, how would I wire that?

Please advise.

- Matt

Whoa!

Well got this done...

Put the T-amp in my Dantimax Remote 3 preamp case (just glued a thin strip of wood to top aluminum panel to prevent any shorting, then cemented the T-amp on the wood.

Speaker outputs of the T-amp are a strip of speaker terminals (mounted above input RCA jacks on back of Dantimax Remote 3, just had to cut an extra hole for that) and hard wired the T-amp inputs (the two closest to the red power switch wires) to the output terminals of the Dantimax Remote 3 (I did a dab of solder on each pad, below where the posts connect, to cut the posts out of the signal line).

Put two separate power jacks: one fed by cheesy wallwart for preamp power and another fed by Pyramid power supply mentioned above. Works fine for me, not like I am plugging and unplugging this thing all the time.

So, now I have a remote controlled, five-input integrated t-amp!

The damned thing is DEAD SILENT. REAAALLY nice. Clear, deep soundstage, great rhythm and pace, and detailed. My next project is putting together boxes for my Fostex high-efficiency drivers. CAN'T WAIT!

- Matt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.