Not quite Class D but many ideas taken from - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2007, 12:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
Question Not quite Class D but many ideas taken from

Hello I want to make a digital intercom system I have some ideas on some novel ways (at least to me) to do the ADC and DAC. I just want to run them by people here to see if I am not totaly barking up the wrong tree!

ADC:
signal and triangle wave at 10x the singals max freq fed into comparator and output sampled at 100x audio freq (not sure if I need to sample to PCM signal this often) by PIC 16F84.

DAC:
take same signal and put it through a 2nd order low pass filter with butterworth response and f0=40khz. Then put into simple class AB mossfet amplifier.

I would use a class D amp for the output but they seem very hard to make without using expensive components and the design seems too much effort for the limited gain. (although I would love to design one as a seperate project - can't start too many at once!)

thanks for your replies
Old 7th September 2007, 07:02 AM   #2
fumac is offline fumac  China
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to fumac
Default Re: Not quite Class D but many ideas taken from

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kipman725
[B]Hello I want to make a digital intercom system I have some ideas on some novel ways (at least to me) to do the ADC and DAC. I just want to run them by people here to see if I am not totaly barking up the wrong tree!

ADC:
signal and triangle wave at 10x the singals max freq fed into comparator and output sampled at 100x audio freq (not sure if I need to sample to PCM signal this often) by PIC 16F84.

------------------
u cant use a 16f84 to do this job, u need a dsp .

DAC:
take same signal and put it through a 2nd order low pass filter with butterworth response and f0=40khz. Then put into simple class AB mossfet amplifier.
------------------------------------
yes, u can do this , simple but not good
u can drive a pwm class-d amp ,

I would use a class D amp for the output but they seem very hard to make without using expensive components and the design seems too much effort for the limited gain. (although I would love to design one as a seperate project - can't start too many at once!)
------------------------
neednt a dac, just output the pcm signal , the drive a pare mosfets
but hard to fix the thd from mosfet and output filter
the big problom is the digital af err feelback
not ennogth speed .

rg

fumac
Old 7th September 2007, 08:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
hmm the pic sample rate only needs to be 10x the audio freq which is perfectly posible. they can be clocked upto 10mhz and non branching instructions take up 1 clock cycle and branching ones 2 clock cycles. So basicly what were doing is sensing the state of one one pin and setting another pin to the same value which is hmm I think 3 clock cycles.

the driving issue was why I thought no class D.. if you have a simple way to drive mosfets with such a high frequancy pwm signal I would love to hear it the peak drive currents will probobly upto 1A ish?

Hide this!Advertise here!