this work for original SI?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• 72-8140.jpg
    72-8140.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 264
It "will" work, but it's big, ugly, and linear.:smash:

Do a search on ebay for 14V adapter. It will bring up quite a few LCD monitor switching supplies, most of which are 3A or more. This is what I use on my "T-Amps" . Of course there is a plethra of other switching supplies out there you can find for cheap also.

I guess the real question is "Linear" or "Switching"?

theAnonymous1 said:
It "will" work, but it's big, ugly, and linear.:smash:

Do a search on ebay for 14V adapter. It will bring up quite a few LCD monitor switching supplies, most of which are 3A or more. This is what I use on my "T-Amps" . Of course there is a plethra of other switching supplies out there you can find for cheap also.

I guess the real question is "Linear" or "Switching"?

as u can gather I am new to this electronic stuff. Which is better "Linear" or "Switching", I am not sure what the Linear and Switching refers to...

The model above is <$25, for variety of reasons I like to avoid wallwart style (may want to "upgrade" from SI later).

I will look around the ebay as u suggested.

thanks,

gychang

A "wallwart" is usually just a very small transformer with rectifiers and smoothing caps, no regulation. Not very ideal.

The linear supply you posted is very inefficient and heavy and "wastes" the unneeded power from the transformer as heat.

A switching supply works very similarly to the SI amp itself. They usually have >80% efficiency and are very lightweight compared to a linear supply. Many people consider a switching supply an ideal power source for a switching amplifier.

I'm sure someone better at explaining things will chime in.:rolleyes:

theAnonymous1 said:

A switching supply works very similarly to the SI amp itself. They usually have >80% efficiency and are very lightweight compared to a linear supply. Many people consider a switching supply an ideal power source for a switching amplifier.

that's very helpful, so I will look around the switching PSU, particularly interested if voltage/amp can be variable (plan to upgrade later time to another t-amp).

1. Anyone know a "cost-effective" (cheap), switching PSU, perhaps with adjustable output?
2. If not, would really appreciate switching PSU that will work with SI.

thanks,

gychang

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's a switching amp. There is EMI a-go-go inside. ;)

One would think that a switch mode supply might sound bad with these amps, but it's just not so. Most of them sound good, some sound very good.

But a good linear supply also works well, and even batteries with caps will sing.

It's an easy modification to play with. If your system is up to it, you will easily here the difference in power supplies. The are, after all, half of amp.

rajacat said:
Which type of power supply gives the best sound quality for less than $300? Wouldn't a battery powered unit provide the cleanest most isolated juice:confused:

I am little confused about the battery, is there a certain audio battery? or car batteries (has to have right cable) also work?, seems like it would have to be setup to recharge.

Is there a website with a particular battery with recharge capability built in for a reasonable price?

thanks

gychang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.