My Charlize (with pics)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My first nearly-diy project is finally complete.
I added a 3-position rotatory switch (Off-SoftStart-On), a green led and an Alps blue pot for volume.
I used a transparent adhesive film to make the faceplate layout with all letterings (laser printed).
Sorry for the ugly switch knob, it was the only one at hand, but I will replace it soon with another like the volume knob (maybe a little smaller, but of the same shape).
It sounds really wonderful (and I am a tube lover!)

Charlize.jpg

Charlize2.jpg

raver said:
I added a 3-position rotatory switch (Off-SoftStart-On), a green led and an Alps blue pot for volume.
I used a transparent adhesive film to make the faceplate layout with all letterings (laser printed).
Sorry for the ugly switch knob, it was the only one at hand, but I will replace it soon with another like the volume knob (maybe a little smaller, but of the same shape).
It sounds really wonderful (and I am a tube lover!)

Looks very nice, does the 3 position switch come with the kit? if not where did u get it?

where did u get the transparent adhesive film?, does the letter get stuck to the aluminum?, (any web page?)

Your lettering on the case makes it look very professional and am considering getting Charlize, but heard about the pop with the switch.

gychang

gychang-
no, the 3-position switch doesn't come with the kit, you can find it where they sell electronic parts (probably also RadioShack or online).
I bought the transparent adhesive film in a office shop (where they make photocopies, prints, etc.). Then you print on the transparent film with a common laser printer (as you would do with a paper sheet), cut the part you need (same size of the amp's faceplate), remove the paper and put the transparent film with lettering on the faceplate. Cut the holes where knobs and screws should go and you're done. So all the faceplate is covered with the film, not only the letterings are transferred. The film stuck rather well to the aluminium.
Not a difficult job, only some patience and precision needed.

raver said:
gychang-
no, the 3-position switch doesn't come with the kit, you can find it where they sell electronic parts (probably also RadioShack or online).
I bought the transparent adhesive film in a office shop (where they make photocopies, prints, etc.). Then you print on the transparent film with a common laser printer (as you would do with a paper sheet), cut the part you need (same size of the amp's faceplate), remove the paper and put the transparent film with lettering on the faceplate. Cut the holes where knobs and screws should go and you're done. So all the faceplate is covered with the film, not only the letterings are transferred. The film stuck rather well to the aluminium.
Not a difficult job, only some patience and precision needed.

raver, this is a great help for me.

1. I spent 30min on digikey site, confused, any webpage for the 3-position switch u recommend? (I am total newbie in electronics...)
2. I will go to Office-depot and find the adhesive film!, this is a great solution!!, thanks,

gychang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.