5ch UCD400 build help in Denver, CO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I feel terrible posting such a simple request on a forum like diyaudio, however I purchased a 5 channel UCD400 amp kit and after working for three months just fine, the amp overheated and blew the softstart module. Sent the amp back to Kevin at diyaudio and he basically told me that I wired the amp like a moron and that I should tear it down and rebuild from scratch testing each module as I go. I need some help troubleshooting the amp, and then some guidance on rebuilding it. I thought building this amp would be a fun, expensive project to learn from, but I screwed up the first time and this second time around would like to try and recruit a little help to make sure it gets done correctly.

Anyone in the Denver area that might be able to lend me a hand? Thank you!!

Nik Giachino

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Hi Nik.

ngiachin said:
Sent the amp back to Kevin at diyaudio

Is Kevin his username here?

I need some help troubleshooting the amp, and then some guidance on rebuilding it.

First things first, do you have a multimeter? You will need one to troubleshoot the amp. Disconnect all of the ucd modules from the power supply. You will need to verify that your supply is working properly first. If it is, then you will need to probe around each disconnected module to look for anything out of the ordinary. We can help guide you here if you don't know what to look for.

Thank you everyone. I should be recieving the amp back next week. Kevin is the owner of diycable.com. He's a great guy and was kind enough to take a look at the amp for me to do an initial diagnosis. My comment about the amp being built like a moron were definately my words, not his! Next week I will post some pictures when the amp gets back and we can take it from there. I just wanted to post here in advance to see if I could summon the help of all the experienced diyers on this forum.

Nik,

You didn't screw up that bad Nik.

Just take your time and fix it as I suggested in the email. If you use the appropriate wire, use wire ties and route everything as I suggested you won't have a problem.

Remember, wire ties are your friend. Neatness counts, especially in these multichannel builds. Use the appropriate sized wire for the job. Part of your problem may have been the 12V mod. The bundles of wires where so large that I couldn't get them to reliably hold inside the screw-down terminals. One of the modules is bad but that is easy to test for if you build & test one at a time.

Just don't get in a hurry and double check your work as you go and you will be fine.

Nik wrote:
"Kevin is the owner of diycable.com. He's a great guy and was kind enough to take a look at the amp for me to do an initial diagnosis. My comment about the amp being built like a moron were definately my words, not his!"

Nik,
I'm glad that you clarified the bit about the "moron" as it sounded out of character for Kevin to say something like that.

Kevin and I have known each other for a number of years, so he's become quite knowledgeable about what constitutes an authentic moron. I'm sure that nothing you may have done can even come close to my feats of Moronic Magnificence. It is my contention that some of my more notable instances of Illustrious Imbecilic Ineptitude will remain unsurpassed for generations to come. I know that all this may sound as if I have a generous portion of Hubris affixed to my psychological make-up, but I account your mistake is as nothing compared to what I have shown the World that I'm capable of accomplishing.

I remain unchallenged..............
I AM THE MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uuuh, I had wanted to say more, but my wife has just indicated that somehow I've been skipping my medication for the last few days, so I've got to go.

Best Regards,
TerryO

I recieved the amp back from Kevin so I am going to begin the rebuild/testing. I wanted to get some advice on how everyone recommended I wire the amp.

For the power supply rail wires, Kevin mentioned that I should braid them. Should the center conductor in the braid be the ground?

In the picture I attached, you'll see that it is a tight fit if I route everything to the right of the modules (closest to the transformer). The first time I wired it, I ran the wires over the heatsink to the power supply, which I was informed did not exactly follow best practices. Before I start cutting wire, does anyone have any advice for me? I will be pulling out the rest of the wiring you see in the picture and basically start from scratch. The gauge of wire I used for the voltage regulator mod was way to big, I think I am just going to use some cat 5 this time around....

After I figure out how I am going to wire everything, I will move on to the troubleshooting and attempt to discover any bad modules.

Thank you everyone in advance for your help.

Attachments

• img_3023[1].jpg
    img_3023[1].jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 277
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.