Class D/T DIY power amp on a budget! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2007, 02:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Class D/T DIY power amp on a budget!

Hello all,

I'm currently enjoying my music through a Trends Audio TA-10 (actually halfway between 10 and 10.1) that replaced my NAD C350 a while ago but, as stated by many before, the Tripath TA2024 falls victim to it's own virtues...
I get excited by it's performance, turn the pot a bit more to the right to get a few more dBs and then I'm (kindly, to be fair) reminded by the little Trends amp that you that you can't get many of those when using an 8Watt amplifier to power 88dB,6 speakers (Quad 21L)...
Too bad, since I think the Quads and the Tripath make a perfect match, sound-wise.

I'll be soon getting a passive pre-amp (nothing fancy, just a blue alps pot and a choice of 4 inputs + 2 pre-outs) to use with the Trends amp but then it hit me:
Why not sell the NAD that is just collecting dust and invest the money on a DIY power amp?!

To cut things short, I'm looking for a Class D/T power amp, at 100+ Watts and my budget is around 300-350 Euros.
The choices I'm considering are Truepath (or some other high power Tripath chip from 41hz), UcD 180 (the Standard modules, unfortunately the new HG ones are out of budget for me) and Coldamp.

And the...350 euro question is:
- Which one should I go for?!

Thing is, I don't have the budget to buy one of each and try it out and there is only one guy I know that is currently making a UcD based amp so I'll probably have a chance to get a taste of the Hypex sound. I know the Tripath sound based solely on my experience of TA2024 and there is no way I can try Coldamp modules without buying them.

I have a couple of weeks to figure it out before I start this power amp project so I thought I'd get some opinions from you guys. This forum is my only means of contacting people that have heard more than one of these types of modules.

I should note that there is a chance I get my hands on some ICEpower 1000ASP based amps, but I can't count on it at the moment!

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Regards,
Kostas
Old 9th July 2007, 08:05 AM   #2
Pierre is offline Pierre  France
Banned

With that budget and power requirements I'd buy a Home Hi-Fi pack from Coldamp (1 SPS30 + 2 Bp4078). The price is 340 euro and you get a good 200W/ch at 4 ohm. I have personally tried only SPS30, but I think SPS30 is very much the same with a bit less power capability (400W is stated):

http://www.coldamp.com/opencms/openc...ctos/pack_hifi
Old 9th July 2007, 09:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pierre
With that budget and power requirements I'd buy a Home Hi-Fi pack from Coldamp (1 SPS30 + 2 Bp4078). The price is 340 euro and you get a good 200W/ch at 4 ohm. I have personally tried only SPS30, but I think SPS30 is very much the same with a bit less power capability (400W is stated):

http://www.coldamp.com/opencms/openc...ctos/pack_hifi

Thank you Pierre.
I think you mean you have tried SPS80?

The Coldamp modules seem like a good deal and you get lots of power for the money. The same can be said for Tripath chips as well (though the choice of power supply is not as hassle free as with the coldamps). Hypex modules are a bit off budget for me but I can stretch up to say 400 euros if it's worth it).

What puts me off with Coldamp modules, to be 100% honest, is that unlike Tripath and UcD I have no chance to listen to such an implementation before purchase (from a friend or something). I also can't keep thinking that while there are commercial implementations of Tripath chips (Audio Research, Bel Canto etc.) and UcD (Kharma, Meridian etc.) with good reviews, I haven't come accross any using Coldamp. Also, here in our class-D lair, there have been quite a few comparisons of Tripath VS. UcD but I haven't come across a thorough test of Coldamp quality VS. the other modules.

I should not that my main goal is not to get loads of power but to get something that will drive my speakers with ease while maintaining the sound quality I get with my TA2024 (plus the bonus of better dynamics etc that more watts will bring along) and improve on it IF possible - but not necessarily as I'm quite happy with it on the "sound quality front".

Since my passive pre/control thing has two pre-outs I can even try biamping (like try to use two AMP5 modules which should still be withing budget) but I think Truepath is ahead of other 41hz kits quality wise so it's a safer choice but the damn thing can't be bridged!
Old 9th July 2007, 10:32 AM   #4
Pierre is offline Pierre  France
Banned

Sorry, I meant I have tried SPS80, of course!
Old 9th July 2007, 10:38 AM   #5
ssanmor is offline ssanmor  Spain
diyAudio Member

Hello,

We have a customer satisfaction policy at Coldamp that allows you to return the modules if you are not happy with them within 30 days, getting a total refund of the money (except shipping costs).
There are not too many reviews out there because we have been selling them for 1.5 years only. But we have professional users like classic music concert hall and studio installers, so if they are not deceived with the sound quality, it is likely that you like them too.

Best regards,
Sergio
www.coldamp.com
Old 9th July 2007, 11:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ssanmor
Hello,

We have a customer satisfaction policy at Coldamp that allows you to return the modules if you are not happy with them within 30 days, getting a total refund of the money (except shipping costs).
There are not too many reviews out there because we have been selling them for 1.5 years only. But we have professional users like classic music concert hall and studio installers, so if they are not deceived with the sound quality, it is likely that you like them too.

Best regards,
Sergio
www.coldamp.com

Thank you for the info, Sergio.
Good to know!

Off topic, but hope you still make those nice multi-channel amps with custom made rack cases.
I've got a friend who's designing and installing Home-Theater stuff for his clients and he's very interested in getting his hands on ready made amps like those you posted on an older thread. Already told him to contact you through your website.
Old 9th July 2007, 07:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

As Pierre pointed out this tread may be interrelated to this tread:
Hypex/Coldamp vs. TAG McLaren Power Amp

In my today post I refer to a Norwegian review of the Coldamp modules. Three members of the Oslo Audio society share their impressions, and briefly; while not the very best amps they have heard, they are still absolutely fantastic value and very good in an absolute sense! Some more translation please! As I use to go fly fishing for salmon in the north of Norway, and then probably only understand about 80% of what the native people say to me I should not pretend to be a translator!

http://www.oslo-audio-society.com/coldamp.html
Old 10th July 2007, 12:38 PM   #8
ssanmor is offline ssanmor  Spain
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link.
This article was discussed somewhere in this forum.
Curiously, one of the reviewers stated that the amplifiers seemed to lack some holographic image. However, IMHO that has more to do with the source, placement of the speakers or room accoustics than with the amplifiers themselves, specially when the amps under test had totally separated stereo channels (they are monoblocks) so crosstalk (the only thing I can think about that could degrade imaging) is optimal...
Perhaps it was only a subjective impression of the listener ?.
Old 20th December 2009, 09:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default trends vs nad c350

I have have a nad c350 at the moment and Im looking for something better to drive my proac tablette ref 8 sigs. I have owned a few T-amps in the past and I have a cheap lapai 2020 at the moment but I dont think it is as good as the C350 and when it come to power there is no comparison. theres no doubt the t-amps are great value for money but the 12V ones seem to be very underpowered for more realistic sound levels.

as you have owned the trends and the nad c350 I was just wondering what your opinion is between the two?
Old 20th December 2009, 10:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hey there!
Wow! Didn't even remember I had opened this thread...

To answer your question, I sold the NAD C350 simply because I found the Trends to be so much better. Everyone that heard the two amps side-by-side agreed there was no comparison..
That, of course, excludes the areas or/and listening levels where NAD's higher power really made a difference (drive, bass etc).

Since then I've built a 41Hz Truepath amp; which, by the way, cost me double the budget I had "set" in this thread, but was worth every penny of it.
I'm now enjoying the "MkII" phase of it, with various changes/upgrades over the stock amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!