The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Hi guys,
I'm also embarking on the boominator build. I've been reading this thread for over a week now and have gotten through most pages. I've just ordered most of my parts and will post up details tomorrow.

Boomigator - check out the half way recap here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...-another-stab-ultimate-party-machine-276.html

Well done, I was thinking of reposting this.... We just need to add some of the new useful stuff to it......
That said, I still think that all noob builders should go through the pain of the whole forum as a rite of passage, I did it an you should be prepared to as well, you'll learn a lot (and get confused)......
BJ

Not sure how to post this table in here but here is my parts list. I've also attached my wiring diagram and will be cutting my 12mm plywood according to the original plans. This should be a very close mark II build for just under $700 AU ($650 US).

Could someone please check over my wiring for me?

I'm not having an on/off switch to avoid on/off thumps. Is that ok? I've heard that it uses next to nothing in sleep mode. As far as I know, I don't need any caps or coils because of the choice of speakers. Is that right?

Although I did find this quote from saturnus. "it's got a 0.22 mH coil to flatten the peak of the woofers", where would this go in the diagram?

I would also like to use the boominator for Djing. Does anyone know if there will be a problem in reducing two 1/4" ts (mono) plugs down to a 3.5mm trs plug? If not, why cant I find the adapter online? (2x 1/4" ts female to 3.5mm trs male)

Thanks for the help :)

ITEM
WEBPAGE
Price $AU
Postage $AU

4 x KSN1001A Tweeters
NEW 4 Pack PK PCS Piezo Tweeters Replacement FOR Motorola KSN1001A | eBay
$13.92
$18.22

4x HP-10W
P.Audio HP-10W 10 Inch 100 Watt Low Frequency Public Address Systems | Portable PA Systems | Wireless Microphones | Stage Lighting | Megaphones | Cables
$276.00
$25.00

Amp6 - assembled
41Hz Audio:AMP6-BASIC Assembled
$117.00
$15.00

2x 7Ah SLA
Brand NEW 12V 7 2AH UPS SLA Battery 12 Volt 7AH Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable | eBay
$44.00
Free

10W CIS Solar Panel
NEW!!! FREE SHIPPING 10W CIS solar panel, 10watt 12v amorphous solar module, 10w 12v pv panels, thin film @-in Solar Energy Systems from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com
$88.30
Free

4x Speaker Grill
10 Inch (260mm) Speaker Grill - Pair
$24.00
$10.95

USB double port
Dual Port USB CAR Charger Adapter Device Iphone Samsung HTC Sony Nokia LG | eBay
$3.85
Free

2x Car socket 12V
Marine Grade Locking Cigarette Lighter Socket, Panel Mount - Jaycar Electronics
$13.90
$7.00

DISPLAY VOLTMETER
Digital Display Voltmeter Voltage Blue LED Panel Meter 0 100V 3 Wire Gauge | eBay
$7.95
Free

Plywood
$20

Attachments

• Boominator circuit.png
    Boominator circuit.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 405
  • ply cuts.png
    ply cuts.png
    131.4 KB · Views: 409
The prototype from 2005 (not the one in the start of this article, I sold that ages ago) is starting to show it's age but it was also built without center brace and from regular spruce plywood. Having been to 9 week long, several beach parties and many many other events takes it's toll (spilled drinks on the speakers, had a car battery that emptied it's acid content inside the electronic chamber, had a kid who thought it fun to pour sand into the reflex port etc etc).

I feel confident in saying that a Boominator built after the current design should hold at least 10-12 years without appreciable degradation of performance. And how much consumer electronics can you really say that about these days?

Only a few key components missing on that list as far as I can see and that is the casing for the amp and the 47ohm 3W carbon composition/metal film resistors for the piezos

Ok wow, I didnt expect to get that circuit right first time. So ill just replace the 150ohm for the 47 ohm then in series with the peizos?

Would you say that a 1A diode would be enough coming from the solar panel? or should I get the next size up? http://www.diodes.com/datasheets/ds23001.pdf

Would you guys recommend installing an on/off switch? The voltmeter will use 5-10mA I figure thats no problem since the solar panel will be at work at all times, even indoors. Would it be bad for the Boominator to sit indoors for a month in this state?

Qubinator completed

Hi again,

We managed to finish one of the Qubinators. All photos of the build are here:

Qubinator - a set on Flickr

We used a textured spray paint (granite) which turned out pretty good. This first Qubinator is for my friend, who will be spray painting some patterns over the top using a dark colour.

Now I need to focus on mine (the one spray painted using a black texture). Need to solder bits and pieces together and mount them in the box.

We fired up the completed Qubinator in the backyard. Went pretty loud, and we didn't want to max out the volume due to the neighbours.

Since these Qubinators are using the TA2024 Bluetooth amps (by Helder hifi), we ended up soldering the appropriate pins together beneath the 3.5mm stereo input connector (thanks to the suggestions on the other thread), to allow Bluetooth to work regardless of whether am audio cable is plugged in or not.

Look forward to completing mine, and then finally being able to enjoy it just as Spring time is kicking in here...

Cheers,
Pete

Hi everybody,
Thanks to Saturnus, i am waiting for 4 HP10W from bluearan :cool: !!

And also 4*KSN1005A !! Everything should be there next week, and i am waiting for some information from 41Hz.com.

@Mikalo, i plan to build the same Boominator (the standard one). There is no crossover except the 150ohm resistors for the tweeters? No filtering for the HP10W?
My configuration will be HP10W and KSN1005, i did not find the crossover for this configuration (sorry, i think it is in the thread but i can't find it... )

Thank you for you answer!!

Manu

Another question about the amp6 basic (not assembled)
I tried to join the support from 41Hz, but no reply since to weeks. I would like to order this amp for sure, but it is said that some little mods have to be done to plug low output device like an iphone.

Some of you should have done this mods, could you explain me which components i should replace? I can order the amp and buy on my own the good components.

I have read that we can change also the input caps to get a better DC filtering. Which one should i change (--> where it is? :confused:) ) by which value?

Thanks for your help,

Manu