The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Hey guys!
I ordered two Amp6Basics, and they arrived today! It truly is a tiny little thing...
Anyways, I soldered everything, but it doesn't work. There's no status LED, so I can't tell if it even powers up! It's a rev 1.2, which the guide on 41hz.com isn't really focused on.. All the pictures are from 1.00, which makes it quite hard to see if you've done everything right. Can anyone take a picture of the top and buttom of their amp6B and share it here? I'd really love that, or if you've got any idea why it's not working.. Good evening to you all!

Hey guys!
I ordered two Amp6Basics, and they arrived today! It truly is a tiny little thing...
Anyways, I soldered everything, but it doesn't work. There's no status LED, so I can't tell if it even powers up! It's a rev 1.2, which the guide on 41hz.com isn't really focused on.. All the pictures are from 1.00, which makes it quite hard to see if you've done everything right. Can anyone take a picture of the top and buttom of their amp6B and share it here? I'd really love that, or if you've got any idea why it's not working.. Good evening to you all!

It's a lot easier if you upload some pictures of yours. Then there will probably be someone, who can tell you where the problem is. :)

It's a lot easier if you upload some pictures of yours. Then there will probably be someone, who can tell you where the problem is. :)

Didn't think of that!
Flickr: Rasmus L Møller's Photostream
I had to make a Flickr account, but here is a buttom and top view, I've got a few parts in spare, and I've got no idea where to put them! I'll take a picture of them too...

Some of the resistors might be mounted on the bottom in stead of the top, and on top instead of bottom...

So! I made it work, it has output, but it's not loud... At all.. It sounds like It's only the Piezos playing, which is weird. Does it need to burn in or something? Did I do something wrong? I've already tried to hook up the speakers to a lepai 2020a+, which works, and it's loud, very loud, so it's not the speakers nor the wiring!

I made it work by resoldering some of the badder solders, and then using the jumpers as you told me to.

And I humbly thank you for that help, it might be step one, but it is my first time soldering anything other than speakers and basic wiring... You've got to learn somehow right?

But that doesn't help my problem with it being extremely low on volume!

PS, the reason I ordered two, is so that I could **** up on on of them, and to have spare parts, I never expected that I'd actually complete one of these, I just wanted to have a go!

Thanks saturnus...... Glad to be able to report..... AMP6 works perfectly first time..... Woo......
It's not exactly easy, but doable, took me about 5 hours....

BJ

Damn, spoke too soon :( AMP6 worked perfectly yesterday, today, nothing, no sound, no hiss.... no sign of anything burnt out, fuse ok, jumpers ok, need to clean up the flux off the board a little but can't see anything else..... Will post photo once I get a decent camera.....
BJ

Damn, spoke too soon :( AMP6 worked perfectly yesterday, today, nothing, no sound, no hiss.... no sign of anything burnt out, fuse ok, jumpers ok, need to clean up the flux off the board a little but can't see anything else..... Will post photo once I get a decent camera.....
BJ

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 318
Just to keep anyone who might be interrested updated:

I tried to make my other amp6, which was a lot more fun, since I took my time to look at the parts, and really admire the work that's been put into making this little thing.
And I got sound! On one channel... After some troubleshooting, and resoldering quite a lot , I finally got full sound on both channels, which is amazing, and it's REALLY loud, further testing is impossible without waking up my parents..

It does however have a hissing(static) noise that seems weird. I'll look further into this tomorrow, when I connect the unmute-jumper, (when the awake is jumped), it makes a very loud popping noise... I thought this button was there to avoid that noise!

Anyways, it's been a pleasure making these amps, and I really appreciate the support.

Got back from "hultsfredsfestivalen" 2 days ago and the boominator was a real success!!! Until the battery died. I've two 10W solarpanels on top and one charge controler http://www.clasohlson.com/medias/sys_master/9037611040798.pdf
But for some reason the charging did not work. It worked from the begining and I've checked the polarity on everything. Could I disconnect the charge controler and connect the panels directly to my 18 Ah battery or will it get fried?
Also, the battery might be defect. The battery died 4 days before i recharged it and now after 24 hours it's only at 11,3 V with my Ctek charger. Going on a new Festival next week so help would be much appretiated :)

I think the battery is dead. Charger looks like a good choice (if it works properly, I have no way of knowing that but let's assume it is).

What the reason is for battery dieing is hard to say really but depending on the length of the festival you could consider going back to basics, and just have the battery connected directly to the amp. 18Ah should give you about 50 hours or so at maximum volume if it's an amp6. And you hardly play full volume all 24 hours of the day (I hope).

Are you talking about the solar charger or the regular wall socket charger?
And yes, the battery is definetly dead, today it had reached 12,5v when I started to measure and it went down to 11,3 in about 20 seconds....
Unfortunatly this festival is at least as long as the last one, depending on wich day we decide to arrive. So we need to get the solarpanels working. If the charge controler is defect could I connect the panels directly to battery? Or at least one of them?