The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

They didn't. The boomcases are all crap in sound quality and only made for the visual effect of what looks cool. In some, not even all the drivers are actually connected.
Yes, I was just wondering if we'd need to add or perhaps subtract from the large price if arranging the speaker properly. :) No idea. I just know that they're easy to carry, quite expensive and I'm not going to buy one. But I think there's a steam-punk-able suitcase up in the attic, with the main difference that I have WinISD, some foam seal, and some brace boards. :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Started the Qubinator project today :)

I have chosen to use 4mm marine okoume veneer for the center pieces, instead of 3mm masonite, because i happened to have a sheet lying around.

I also have a 14mm sheet of okoume lying around, so i might make the rest of the cabinet out of this, and route some circles down to 9mm, thus getting more strength without it weighing much more.

What type of fuse will i need with this design?

Ok, so will a 15A fuse be fine?
I am envious of your car radio.

15a is too much for TA2020. A more realistic range would be 3a to 5a.

We know that 1a isn't enough. We know that some TA2020 boards come equipped with a 3a schottky series to the v+, and thereby we know the current demand isn't a lot more than 3a. However, if inrush from charging the board's capacitors blows a 3a fuse, you'd need to step up to a 5a fuse to prevent nuisance fuse blowing.
Details
The battery doesn't automatically limit capacitor charging speed like a transformer could do and thus the inrush on battery power, at switch-on, is a brutally fast charge of the amplifier's capacitors, so it may take some experimentation to find an appropriate fuse value. Try smallest value fuses first and only step up to larger figures when necessary.

Last edited:
I have an additional concern for TA2024. It has a more limited voltage range. Unlike TA2020 and TA2021 (available economically from Muse), the TA2024 is prone to blowing out if it delivers significant speaker current while also operating at voltages beyond 13.8vdc.

Charger Controller Regulator I bought one of those battery chargers. It needs a DC input. I used a laptop power pack. Under the cover of the charger is a trimmer so that you can adjust the voltage not to exceed safe voltage for the amplifier. Like almost every battery charger on earth, in factory condition it wanted to go well beyond 13.8vdc; however, I turned the dial to lower the voltage. :D

Probably a better alternative would have been a TA2021 or TA2020 that can withstand ordinary automotive voltage ranges.