The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

I got plenty of batteri if that is the question... I was just wondering how "big" the diffence was ? is it worth all the ekstra power from the batteries ? or is it a waste of power?

And then again... Why is it the atp150 isn't good enough?

Wouldnt 4 atp150 and then using a miniDSP as a crossover work ?

It does not have enough dispersion to be used in a bipolar build. It generally requires between 90 and 120 degrees dispersion in all directions. It's also very heavy compared to a piezo that only weighs a few hundred grams. Remember at 4, even 900 gram each that's 3.8kg when there's 4.

I got plenty of batteri if that is the question... I was just wondering how "big" the diffence was ? is it worth all the ekstra power from the batteries ? or is it a waste of power?

And then again... Why is it the atp150 isn't good enough?

Wouldnt 4 atp150 and then using a miniDSP as a crossover work ?

4 times the output power gives you 6db :) - Wheter thats a big deal for you is har to say... Just remember that you need 4 times the battery capacity to achieve this!

:d

okay - just ordered 4 hp-10w :D looking forward to get started!

I saw some diffent pictures out there - som where the hp-10w were glued togheter magnet to magnet - and one version where there were a piece of plywood between the magnets ? and then 4-5 big holes in the plywood ?

Which one would give the best result ?

Here is some pictures

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Ill go for that then :D

I have an amp9basic amplifier - which does 50 w in 4 channels. Would that be okay to use in the boominator ?

You really don't want to read the thread, do you? You're asking questions that has been answer, most of them several times.

Yes. The Boominator is designed to be used with either a amp6 or amp9. And the amp9 outputs 4x29W into 8 ohm at 24V supply. Not 4x50W.

It goes from 4000 hz to 20.000 hz but the hp-10w only goes from 80 hz to 3000 hx ? what about from 3000hz to 4000hz then ? :( wouldnt that sound bad ?

Maybe if the drivers read how they are supposed to work and stop playing exactly at the frequencies given to them. However, if you look at plots of their frequency response you'll find out that the drivers are non-conformist rebels. Born to be wild. \m/

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hi together,
last November I presented you my plans for a half/half boominator concept (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...b-ultimate-party-machine-241.html#post2776583). Due to ordering problems from 41Hz.com which are solved now I would like to build my small boominator now.
That's what I have so far:
4x HP-10W 8Ohm,
4x PHT-407 8 Ohm tweeter (no -T/-N, the cheap stuff): https://www.intertechnik.de/Shop/La...chtoener/_71503_H18-PHT-407_1768,de,3725,6407
2x AMP6B
Some 1 or 2 7.4Ah 12V SLN batteries

My question at the moment is, what combinations of speakers, tweeters and amps would be the lightest, most flexible?
Speaker and Tweeter is clear: 2x HP-10W and 2x PHT-407 in each half-boominator.
But what about the wiring:

Option 1: Should I connect 1x HP-10W in parallel to 1x PHT-407 to one channel of the AMP6? Which filter components would be suitable?

Option 2: Should I connect 2x HP-10W parallel to left channel, 2xPHT-407 in parallel to right channel of AMP6 and filter IN FRONT of AMP6?

Any Ideas/Tips would be appreciated!

Hello!

I'm doing my best reading through this thread before starting to build my halfinator. Next into all my question has been answered, but I have the same question skipper87 had some pages back.

If I do my halfinator in stereo with two ports, does anyone have the right dimensions for the ports (diameter & length) for each hp-10w? And does it matter where they are placed?
- If it does, does anyone have some info where they should be placed for best results?

Thanks alot in advance!

I have been doing some more thinking about my halfinator.

I'm thinking 'bout making the halfinator in a standing design, with each HP-10W playing on different channels to get a decent stereoimage. I will though still make holes in the center bracing so that I can use one port for both speakers. Here are some non-detailed sketches I made in paint just to show how I'm thinking. There are currently two versions I'm thinking off.

1:

2:

Note that the right and left side will be identical, that will say 2x HP-10 in total etc. The back will not be identical to the front though, as there will be nothing there.

In the second version I'm thinking off using 2xHP-10 and 4xPiezo's. This is due that the low frequesies stays around the speaker, while the higher frequensies just travels straight away and will eventually get lost outdoors if you'r not standing in front of the piezo's. But if you sit in front of the port in the second version, I gues you will get:
* A decent stereoimage
* A decent soundimage, with both low and high frequensies.

Am I right?
Would you recommend any of theese two versions? Or would you go with another one?

I would be very pleased to hear your opinions.

All the best,
bekutori