The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Hey

Has anybody used these exact
SolarPowered 12V 15W Battery Charger Free Delivery : Amorphous Solar Panel Kits : Maplin
solar panels ?
I know that it has to be amorpheous and that they have to fit the top exactly for best possible result :)
What I wanted to know was wether, or wether not you can take the sides of, don't want to waste 70£ on something I can't use...

And regarding the lid to the small compartment in the middle - what would you guys recommend as the best design?

I saw some of the designs on this years festival but didn't get a full look.. :)

Hey

Has anybody used these exact
SolarPowered 12V 15W Battery Charger Free Delivery : Amorphous Solar Panel Kits : Maplin
solar panels ?
I know that it has to be amorpheous and that they have to fit the top exactly for best possible result :)
What I wanted to know was wether, or wether not you can take the sides of, don't want to waste 70£ on something I can't use...

And regarding the lid to the small compartment in the middle - what would you guys recommend as the best design?

I saw some of the designs on this years festival but didn't get a full look.. :)

I just read the specification. The panel you found is indeed amopheous so to me is seems perfect.

I'd recommend making it a drawer instead of a lid.

People have a tendency to put things on top of the Boominator (usually in various liquid forms), so to avoid any chance of liquid damage, just make a drawer.

At least that is my experience from this years Roskilde Festival ;)

I remember seeing a drawer in some of the pics on facebook (or somewhere like that) - and liked the idea :D - was that thing hard to make ?

A lid in the side, like the one I made for my sister and her boominator, could also be a solution. Although a drawer is bit more cool :D

Any pictures of that ? We're making two boominators so it would be nice if there were a little variation in the designs :D

I remember seeing a drawer in some of the pics on facebook (or somewhere like that) - and liked the idea :D - was that thing hard to make ?

We made a drawer. (Fri Ost). It was not complicated, but takes a bit more time. The nice thing is that we could easily take out all of the electronics at once if something has to be fixed. Also, we had both an Amp6 and Amp9 in it so we could switch from energy-efficient to maximum volume when needed. We had room for 2 sets of 2 SLA's connected through a switch that let us choose between 12V for the Amp6 and 24V for the Amp9.

The connection to the speakers was done by placing a 2-pole plug/connector to each speaker-room, so that we just had to pull out the cables to remove the drawer.

Each amp had their own two output cables that we then switched between depending on which amp we wanted to use.

I wanted to post some picutres, cause I know they exist, but I don't know who has them :s If you want more detailed info just ask here :)

Did you make the entire middle compartment a drawer - and if so - doesn't that take a lot of the, already narrow, space? i'm really interested in this kind of idea for the compartment so any pictures describing it in detail, would be greatly appreciated :)

And did you do anything to lock the drawer so only some people could pull it out ? :)

Last edited:
Pheew... Just finished reading this insane thread :)

And I've just received the HP-10W from Ljudia.no - only 325 NOK a piece :) - Note that the items are still shipped from Sweden, so no problems with the danish customs, even though its ordered from a norwegian website :)

And for your information, Saturnus mentioned earlier, that the production has moved to China and India, but these bad-boys has a sticker that says "Made in Thailand"
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...b-ultimate-party-machine-205.html#post2637722

Btw, anyone who has an extra 4 of these piezo bubble tweeters from ebay? - if so, I would be the happy buyer :)

Did you make the entire middle compartment a drawer - and if so - doesn't that take a lot of the, already narrow, space? i'm really interested in this kind of idea for the compartment so any pictures describing it in detail, would be greatly appreciated :)

And did you do anything to lock the drawer so only some people could pull it out ? :)

Yesy we did make the entire middle compartment a drawer, and it takes a little more space (equal to 2x the thickness of your wood). So you should just make the middle compartment 2x the thickness of the wood wider. Ours is actually even wider than that, since we wanted to have 4 batteries and 2 amps, so the middle compartment is actually:
1x length of battery + 2x thickness of the wood.
The '1x length of battery' is because they are placed like this inside, seen from the top:

EDIT: Crap, it removed all the spaces...will have to redraw it in Paint but I'm out of time right now, so later today :)
| Speaker ||_Bat__ || Speaker |

Where the blue is one 12V pair, and the green is one 12V pair.

Seen from the side:
_______________________________| | Amps | |
| Speaker |_______| Speaker |
| | Batts | |
|______________________|_______| |

Yes we used a sort of flightcase lock similar to this:
8-125x125.jpg

which we placed just inside the hole where you put the MP3-player so that it was easily accessible, but not visible to others.

I will ask around to get the pictures and upload them :)

1. EDIT: Crap, it removed all the spaces...will have to redraw it in Paint but I'm out of time right now, so later today :)

2. Yes we used a sort of flightcase lock similar to this:
8-125x125.jpg

3. I will ask around to get the pictures and upload them :)

1. Thanks, i guess the paint drawing will make it a bit more understandable for me :D

2. Were there any problems with the flightcase lock making any sound ?
that was one of our problems last year :) (but i'm guessing it has to do with our work rather than with the exact lock)

3. I'm looking forward to see some pictures - love the idea of a drawer :D

I now strongly suspect our craftman ship ;)

Anyhow I understand the idea, but can you just make the rooms for the speaker smaller? - doesn't that destroy the volume?
or did you compensate in anyway? :)

It was not hard :) It doesn't need to be perfect. You can do with a "stiksav" and some screws and you will be fine. It will get a bit heavy though because of the extra batteries, but you could leave them out if you want. You could use only 1 battery and an Amp6, which will make it lighter and not as long. But go for it! It really is not difficult if you don't need it to be absolutely perfect :)