The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

My Boominator is setup as follows:
Clip+>pot>Digizoid Zo>2*Sure TA2024>4ohm HP-10w>piezos
My problem is that the Zo on/off gives a massive on/off pop that you can only avoid by switching the amps on/off first.
Is there any way around this?
Also you can run the Clip+ or the Zo from the batteries via usb outlets,but not both at same time.
thanks
Paul

Ohh you got 4ohm HP10w? :eek: Thats why you are using 2 amps? You really ought to get yourself an amp9 then if you got the 4ohm and play LOUD! :D

I really wish i had bought more of the 4 ohms when they were available.
I started off making a normal Boominator and having used what wood was available decided it was too heavy,so I cut it in half.Each half has one amp,2 7.2A batteries,2 marine solar panels,charging socket,12V/usb out,external power in socket,switched voltmeter.The signal inputs are transformer isolated.
This has been a never ending project,but I'm ready to build a new one.
I tried it with Sure 2*100W amps and I have never heard anything louder.
Paul
PS: Saturnus has totally convinced me of the benefits of Bipole design.

Last edited:
My Boominator is setup as follows:
Clip+>pot>Digizoid Zo>2*Sure TA2024>4ohm HP-10w>piezos
My problem is that the Zo on/off gives a massive on/off pop that you can only avoid by switching the amps on/off first.
Is there any way around this?
Also you can run the Clip+ or the Zo from the batteries via usb outlets,but not both at same time.
thanks
Paul

I don't think that there is any way to solve that problem, other than turning the amp off.

Quoted from this review Digizoid ZO Portable Subwoofer Review | Anything But iPod
Another issue – one that personally bugs me more than some slight hiss with some of my regularly used IEMs – is that the ZO generates quite a voltage spike at turning it on or off. It’s a very loud, sharp click/pop. This isn’t good for both, headphone drivers and human ears. Luckily, Digizoid is going to fix this in the upcoming new version of the ZO.

On paper the CPA10-100 simulates practically identical to the HP10W, so it might be a real alternative. I would however like some response graph measurements and mechanical drawings. I also would like to hear it too.

From what little information is available though it's obvious that it's not as deep and so steps have to be made to ensure it can be glued to the centerbrace.

Right, I would be very curious to here the response of this woofer or at least see a graph but Conrad doesn't seem to have anything like this.

Hey guys, got my boombox finished at last. Had some trouble with the faulty chip but Jan finally sent me a new amp6b. Works like a charm. Cheers!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's not so much how it compares to other Boominators we're interested in knowing. It's how it compares to your own expectations :D

Then I must say I'm very content with the sound it manages to produce, above any expectation! Only concern I've had so far is when playing rock music, I get the feeling that it sounds a bit dull, what can I say, as if the bass takes over more than the treble. But I think the reason for that is that I'm listening to it indoors right now, and I understand that the design is for outdoor use, the soundwaves reflects against the walls I assume giving me this impression.

And hell it can play loud, surprised what this little amp can do! Not dared going to 100% volume yet, but will do that as soon as I take it out again.

Only things left to do are to get a charger, still unsure what requirements there is for that, get an enclosure for the amp, and solder the speaker wires.

Well, I know what I will be doing tonight, listening to music, and get eargasm =)

The sound is good, haven't heard any other boominator so it's hard to compare. Using these piezos: QLM-1005 - Ljudia - Multimedia Hemelektronik Karaoke PA anläggning DJ utrustning Ljus utrustning

I've got the pictures on facebook aswell. Sorry for the low resolution pictures, here's the link to the album on imageshack: ImageShack Album - 20 images

Sorry, but I really can't be bothered opening all the pictures to save them and then upload them, when it takes you a lot less time to just send them to my email and I can upload them :)

ewald.hansen@gmail.com

PS. Awesome that the sound of it blows you away.. Thats pretty much the experience most of us had when building the Boominator! Its a great project for a budding DIY'er! :)

Sorry, but I really can't be bothered opening all the pictures to save them and then upload them, when it takes you a lot less time to just send them to my email and I can upload them :)

ewald.hansen@gmail.com

PS. Awesome that the sound of it blows you away.. Thats pretty much the experience most of us had when building the Boominator! Its a great project for a budding DIY'er! :)

Sent you an email!

Everytime I look at the amp I'm out of words, everytime I listen to it I'm amazed. <3

Last edited:
Only concern I've had so far is when playing rock music, I get the feeling that it sounds a bit dull, what can I say, as if the bass takes over more than the treble. But I think the reason for that is that I'm listening to it indoors right now, and I understand that the design is for outdoor use, the soundwaves reflects against the walls I assume giving me this impression. =)

I get that as well! Indoors it doesn't sound as good as outdoors. But that has something to do with the design. The frequencies at around 100-300 hz are boosted a bit to reproduce more bass and that's probably what you can hear indoors. Outdoors this boost is desired to make up for some of the lost lower frequencies.

So year... it's because it's designed to play outdoors and it does that damn well.

Listening to the boominator indoors can be done at very low volume.. Then I actually think that it sounds pretty good :)

Also, when I'm throwing an indoor party I usually get my boominator to start the party with music. Just because it can play so extremely loud indoors.