The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

I have seen the CH2010 for $89,99 and the S2010 for $74,99 at two different sites, so prices aren't as high as I feared.
Does it matter that the compliance equivalent volume is 50% bigger on the S2010, is that a problem in the small compartment?

No, since Qts (total speaker Q) is also higher.

Vas is the volume of air that has the same compliance as the speaker's suspension.

That means that for a closed box if Vb (internal volume net of air) is equal to or higher than Vas then Qtc (total system Q) is equal to Qts. If Vb is less than Vas then Qtc is higher than Qts.

I've been looking into the Eminence Basslite CH2010 and S2010, and it seems the S2010 is an even better option despite it's bit problematic response at the very top end. That can be overcome but it weighs the same, ie. 1.6kg each, has approximately the same output but cost around DKK200 less each. They can be bought in the UK for £62 each. That's €70, so that's €20 more each than the current asking price of the HP10W. Availability of the S2010 is guarenteed though.

Together with the PHT407N that'll make a output that far exceeds the standard Boominator in sound quality and the drivers alone will make it 6kg lighter.

If you then take a 18Ah li-ion battery pack to power it instead of 2 7Ah SLAs, you will have saved over 10kg total, or a Boominator weighing under 15kg. Now that would be truely portable.

Do the Eminence S2010 and PHT407N go perfect in the original cabinet that you designed. If yes i might consider this option although being much more expensive than i anticipated.

Do the Eminence S2010 and PHT407N go perfect in the original cabinet that you designed. If yes i might consider this option although being much more expensive than i anticipated.

Yes. With the following changes:

- Port needs to be bigger. Still 120mm overall length but now 40mm high with 20mm radius rounding in both ends (lengthwise). And it's only 24mm deep instead of 36mm again with a light max 3mm rounding in both ends (depthwise). So that's actually easier to build.

- Drivers needs to be connected via a sturdy plastic tube that has the inner diameter of the outer diameter of the magnets, 54mm IIRC. This is glued to both drivers with 2 component or other really strong glue like plastic metal. And also glued to the center brace.

- You need a filter. Several options here with pure passive, passive and passive level combined, active, or digital filter. Name your preference.

Last edited:
Yes. With the following changes:

- Port needs to be bigger. Still 120mm overall length but now 40mm high with 20mm radius rounding in both ends (lengthwise). And it's only 24mm deep instead of 36mm again with a light max 3mm rounding in both ends (depthwise). So that's actually easier to build.

- Drivers needs to be connected via a sturdy plastic tube that has the inner diameter of the outer diameter of the magnets, 54mm IIRC. This is glued to both drivers with 2 component or other really strong glue like plastic metal. And also glued to the center brace.

- You need a filter. Several options here with pure passive, passive and passive level combined, active, or digital filter. Name your preference.

Still the same tuning? 82 or 69hz? :)

SNII10MB more detailed and more natural midrange. S2010 more warm but more pressed in upper midrange.

Sensitivity is more or less identical with 2dB more than the HP10W or GW1058.

Hmm, seems like its not a lot gained from the somewhat higher price of the SNII10MB over the basslite s2010.. I might consider using the Basslite if im building a signature sometime during the winter :)

Been looking in to the miniDSP aswell - what a cool little thing it is.. Can't wait to dig in and try it out!

And ofcourse, i'm going for some lifepo4 cells and 24v! I seem to recall you saying that the Amp9 used around 35w in 4ohm running at 24v? That would give me around 25-30 hours of playtime on a 24v 40Ah lifepo4 battery? Quite decent for the added spl and sound quality!

And ofcourse, i'm going for some lifepo4 cells and 24v! I seem to recall you saying that the Amp9 used around 35w in 4ohm running at 24v? That would give me around 25-30 hours of playtime on a 24v 40Ah lifepo4 battery? Quite decent for the added spl and sound quality!

Probably less since the tweeter channels won't have nearly the same average output as the woofer channels, maybe around 28W total but probably even less than that because you also have to consider than the tweeter only needs half the output of the woofer channels (97dB sensitivity for the woofers and 100dB sensitivity for the tweeters). I'd actually estimate around 48 hours running time (at max volume).

Last edited:
Been looking in to the miniDSP aswell - what a cool little thing it is.. Can't wait to dig in and try it out!

I'm also going to use AMP9B but with 2*12V and a switch to choose between 24V and 12V for power saving, when it's not necessary to play at max. I also think it's nice to have a 12V output for various chargers etc. And the option to "add a 12V external car battery if the internal batteries run low.

Have you found some LFP batteries that I haven't? If you can fit 2*12V 40Ah or 1*24V 40Ah into the middle compartment, your batteries got a way better size than mine, or just a much bigger compartment. :)

I'm also going to use AMP9B but with 2*12V and a switch to choose between 24V and 12V for power saving, when it's not necessary to play at max. I also think it's nice to have a 12V output for various chargers etc. And the option to "add a 12V external car battery if the internal batteries run low.

Have you found some LFP batteries that I haven't? If you can fit 2*12V 40Ah or 1*24V 40Ah into the middle compartment, your batteries got a way better size than mine, or just a much bigger compartment. :)

Im doing something like that aswell.. Its easy to make a switch to change from serial connected to parallel for more batterytime when not playing loud :)

I'm still in the early stages of my design, thinking about doing something completely different with the battery, but im still considering my options.. I did find a 24v 30Ah lifepo4 battery
which is 300x105x150 mm in size.. not completely hopeless to fit in a middle compartment, however, not in the standard size :)

Edit: I discarded that battery as it was shipped from Hong Kong and with danish toll and tax i'd would be too expensive.. I might go with some 3.2v 40Ah cells from ev-power.eu.. But I havent settled on a design yet :)

Last edited:
I would consider taking a step down in Ah. The price of 8*3,2V 40 Ah is 376 EUR without shipping. They are hard to stack unless you change the 300*300 design, and the weight will also be quite big.
I would like to know if you find a great solution that I can steal. :)

For now, my plans are to have below 20 Ah. I just want enough power for at least a day of music (not all time at max.) I don't want the weight to be to high for one man to carry.
If you are going to be away for longer than that, then it's likely that you have some kind of transport, where you can also store spare batteries.
If we are talking festival use, then we have an (almost) unlimited supply of 12V 60+Ah GEL batteries and a 70W solar-panel to power the camp/boominator.

I haven't settled on a type of batteries yet but they are definitely going to be sealed, and not standard lead batteries as in one of the first designs of the boominator. :p

Good night, sleep tight.

While not ideal. Li-ion packs could also be an idea. They hold a much higher capacity in a smaller package but there are some short-coming.

Firstly, they're 11.1V average (3x 3.7V Li-ion cells) and has to be charged with either a dedicated charger or constant voltage at 12.6V. Not higher under any circumstances, and lower means you won't get full capacity, so you can't connect them directly to solar cells for instance.

You could easily get 12V 72Ah or 24V 36Ah in the same volume as 2x 12V 7.2Ah SLA batteries. It'll weigh about the same though but it about 5 times the capacity in the same battery space.

4 of these 12V 18000mAh Super Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery EMS | eBay would do it but it's gonna cost a pretty penny.

That's about 133 hours on max volume on 12V setting or 33 hours on max volume on 24V setting without any change in the original design.

Last edited: