The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Hi everybody.

I'm going to build a boominator, but with some major changes. These are only in the design of wooden box, so the amp and drivers are the same.
Getting an amp6b is easy enough, and the 4*HP10W doesn't seem like a problem either.
The problem is the Piezo PA DJ NTX3711 tweeters. They can't be bought at ebay "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available." And i haven't been able to locate them anywhere else.
Since these are often sold many at a time, I was hoping that someone might had 4 pcs. lying around for sale?

Why does it have to be these?
Because these are the only one that Saturnus will recommend for my build. And who dares to defy him...?

My build just has to be finished before RF'12, where it will complement the original boominator in our camp. I'm not in a hurry, but getting it done as soon as possible, and hopefully this year would be nice.

I hope that someone can help me one way or another.

We built a half-boominator for Roskilde, and used a 95Ah battery instead of 7Ah with solar cells (so we didn't have any recharging-technology added).

It played all days during the festival with a maximum of 10 hours pause in total - so i can only give the amplifier thumbs up!

Of course you were able to run with it all week :p You could actually have music for a couple of weeks, if not a month, with that battery and the same use (if not using lights/charging etc.). Remember that half a boominator only uses the half amount of power i.e. ~2-3 W (at max volume.)

Last edited:
What kind of piezos are you using and what kind of resistors?

The Piezo's we are using are these

MPT-005

With 33 ohm, 1/4 Watt resistors on each Piezo.

But as i mentioned earlier, they start "screaming"/"scratching" when we reach the higher level of volume.

With you recommend simple trying with more resistens like 50 ohm, or does the Watt also play a part?

We would like to avoid replacing the Piezo's if this is possible.

In advance, thx for your help.

I'm also waiting for speakers from Plus-elektronik.de Crap service

Yup and they got my money and i can't do anything at all. I sent an email to him Friday complaining and still did not get anything from him. Tried calling him today and now he says his mobile is not working to call tomorrow. If i don't hear from him i need to request for a refund and if that does not happen i have to make an official complain but where ? hmmmmm.....

But as i mentioned earlier, they start "screaming"/"scratching" when we reach the higher level of volume.

In advance, thx for your help.

Hmm... Sounds weird. But is it destroying the sound or is it just a little bit? Because piezos tend to sound crappy when compared to normal dome tweeters.

Also, piezos are exclusively run by voltage and most of the piezos from Monacor (at least what I've seen) have a maximum of ~30 V.

Hmm... Sounds weird. But is it destroying the sound or is it just a little bit? Because piezos tend to sound crappy when compared to normal dome tweeters.

Also, piezos are exclusively run by voltage and most of the piezos from Monacor (at least what I've seen) have a maximum of ~30 V.

it's "destroying" the sound so much, that you tend to avoid turning the music up so loud, cause it simple get's distorted, and it doesn't seem to be just one of them, but all four.

But do you recommend other resistors or are they broken somehow?

Yup and they got my money and i can't do anything at all. I sent an email to him Friday complaining and still did not get anything from him. Tried calling him today and now he says his mobile is not working to call tomorrow. If i don't hear from him i need to request for a refund and if that does not happen i have to make an official complain but where ? hmmmmm.....

It's in the EU, and in particular Germany where customer protection is much stricter than in Denmark so you should have no problems. Contact the Forbrugerstyrelsen/klagerådet if in doubt.

I suspect it's chassis resonances. Have you tried dampening the piezos with either bitumen or silicone.

No I have not, I have silicone laying around somewhere, so that would be easy to try, but how would you go about doing that?
Not clear if you mean on the outside of the Piezo or inside.

But the thing that confuses me, and makes me think they are somewhat broken, is that this problem didn't appear so clearly before Roskilde, as they do now.

No I have not, I have silicone laying around somewhere, so that would be easy to try, but how would you go about doing that?
Not clear if you mean on the outside of the Piezo or inside.

But the thing that confuses me, and makes me think they are somewhat broken, is that this problem didn't appear so clearly before Roskilde, as they do now.

Fill on the grooves on the backside of the horn first then make thick circular rings of silicone roughly 1cm apart also on the back part of the horn. Check that the driver bit hasn't come loose. If it has glue it into place. Cover the back of the driver bit with an even coat of silicone.

Must be non-acidic silicone, other than that no requirements.

Also try with a larger resistor value like 80-100 ohms instead. Don't worry, it will not lower the output.

But the siliconing of piezos, I always recommend doing that. They always improve a lot in sound when that is done. And I also will also note that I always take apart the driver section and glue it back into place. More often than not the serious vibrations it is subjected to inside the cabinet will shake apart a low cost piezo only assembled with 2 small screws.

Last edited:
alright

:cop: smolder it is against forum rules to post prviate corespondence without the express permission of the Author. By all means give an update as to the email you received but please do not reproduce verbatim :)

Tony.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel"

Anyway I got a mail from PLUS-Elektronik.de saying that* they apollogize again for the very long delivery time.....which leads me to believe that I got a standard crap mail since i havent had any other emails from them* * then they go and and blame the distributor and they are sorry i dident get the first packaged bla bla bla and finaly that they are waiting for 100 pcs of the HP-10W
Right now im in Thailand enjoin the sun and sea so it is hard to ruin my good mood but PLUS-Elektronik.de comes very close.