The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

The inside width of my box is 27,6 and my speakers are, when glued together, 26,6... should i get 1 cm og linolium and stick in between the magnets or should i get 0,5 plywood and make the "fitting circle" thicker ?

i only have the 5ply 12 mm wooden board and i have not made any cuts yet.

any suggestions how to fit the boominator mark 2 with the new design HP-10 w ?

thanks everyone

It has been discussed before.

Use masonite board between the cabinet wall and the speaker (this is usually 3,5-4 mm thick) and then combined with the speaker grills you should be able to fit them there just perfectly. Otherwise... Use your imagination..

I would assume that you were going to Roskilde Festival? And you want to build a stereo before that with items from parts-express.com? It's in the US, so there's no chance that you will have them in time.

If you're going to another festival and/or you are building your stereo later, then don't mind this post.

No not going to festival

No I have not in a hurry, but it seems pretty hard to get hold of Horn bubble tweetwers / Motorola.

Anyone know where to buy them without waiting for 30 days?

I ordered 4 pieces Paudio HP-10W a month ago from PLUS Elektronik.de
the last 2 weeks they claim that they have been on mission,
and this week they claim that it is off all week??

appears to be an extremely frivolous small businesses with few employees?
no service culture.

Falken

Finished and ready to go :) Sound quality is nowhere near the original boominator, but it's still loud, and that's the most important thing for me and my camp. It's the 8 ohm system so it will drain half the power and thus play half as loud (-6 dB).

I'm pretty satisfied with the weight and size. It's easy to carry around :) And the LED light is kicking aarsh in the dark. But still, Saturnus. The first boominator I built had way better sound quality - even with replica piezos.

I will go for the full boominator next year, just didn't make it this year because of the out of stock problem in Europe.

Thanks for answering all my posts and helping me out with difficulties, free beers on me :)

Pics are here:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

See you at the boominator meet up! Looking so much forward to it !! :D

Have a great festival

The happy bunch!

Class D Amp Pr0n :D

Unfortunately I don't get to take the AMP9B with me this time around, as it simply takes too much power for the batteries I have.

So AMP6B and the Lepai 2020A it is.

Attachments

• AMPs.jpg
    AMPs.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 496
Hi,
I am about to buy this panel KeryChip WEBSHOP - solceller, solcelleanlæg, tilbehør which the shop said that i could take of the frame and get down to about 44cm x 29cm which is almost exactly as the size (on one dimmension) of the Boominator box.

What would you recommend i do to mount it ? Should i bother to use the router and dig in 35mm depth so i can fix it in the wood on top of the boominator ? The issue is that i do not think i use the router and leave only 1mm wood left on the side with 30cm.

Ideas are welcome :)

donnib

If you have more than 35 mm thick ply you can route the panel in :p That's almost 3 times the thickness of the ply recommended for the normal boominator.

Honestly I just think you should fasten it with screws on top, so it's also easily removable. Your choice.

Ups.... silly me. You are right. Well well.... will see when i get it. I guess it's not 35mm thick without the frame but will see. It just looks silly on top i think.

I actually just tested how affected the treble was by my wide, slim horn going from 1800-20000 hertz. It's actually pretty noticable when going from side to side and it laying flat on the ground as it does on the pictures. Though if you raise it up, santding on the side without the port, it's not as bad.

It's also starting to sound better than before. I guess the burn-in effect deals a bit with the crappy sound right now. But it's worthwhile to think about before making a stereo like mine using these kind of horns. I'm still rather new to hifi, but dispersion will definately be a valuable consideration from now on.

Thanks for pointing it out, Saturnus :) (was some time ago)

I am just charging my batteries one last time before the festival to be sure that they are full on juice. It seems that the bubbly noise I've been talking about kicks in already after 10 mins of charging.

But it was mentioned before that the bubbly noise could be the batteries emitting hydrogen and oxygen. I hope that's it then :)

Just a bit of an update if anyone is curios on my project:

- I have ordered my HP-10W from Germany, should be on their way. I ordered with PLUS - Elektronik Lautsprecher & Elektronik - Onlineshop, thx Wubbaz
- I have ordered my piezo's (MPT-001) from discoworld.dk and they are also on their way, actually they should arrive today.
- My amp6basic came couple of days ago, yesterday i finished it and tested it. Works like a charm.
- Ordered 2 x 10W Solarpanels from here KeryChip WEBSHOP - solceller, solcelleanlæg, tilbehør which i will but in parallel to get around 1.1A in perfect conditions.
- I already have 4 x Varta Lithium - Ion 6600mAh 14.8V 98Wh which should give me 26.4Ah
- I have ordered an Evaluation Module of Texas Instruments BQ24650 which will be used to charge the Lithium - Ion batteries.

What i still need

- Switches
- Voltage regulator to create 5V from 12V for iPhone or other peripherals that runs of 5V.
- Car plugs or some kind of 12V plug where you can plug other stuff that needs power.
- Case for the amp.
- Grills for the drivers
- Resistor for the piezos

Just a bit of an update if anyone is curios on my project:

- I have ordered my HP-10W from Germany, should be on their way. I ordered with PLUS - Elektronik Lautsprecher & Elektronik - Onlineshop, thx Wubbaz
- I have ordered my piezo's (MPT-001) from discoworld.dk and they are also on their way, actually they should arrive today.
- My amp6basic came couple of days ago, yesterday i finished it and tested it. Works like a charm.
- Ordered 2 x 10W Solarpanels from here KeryChip WEBSHOP - solceller, solcelleanlæg, tilbehør which i will but in parallel to get around 1.1A in perfect conditions.
- I already have 4 x Varta Lithium - Ion 6600mAh 14.8V 98Wh which should give me 26.4Ah
- I have ordered an Evaluation Module of Texas Instruments BQ24650 which will be used to charge the Lithium - Ion batteries.

What i still need

- Switches
- Voltage regulator to create 5V from 12V for iPhone or other peripherals that runs of 5V.
- Car plugs or some kind of 12V plug where you can plug other stuff that needs power.
- Case for the amp.
- Grills for the drivers
- Resistor for the piezos

perhaps you could get this one? $6.00 - 8S 5A Switch-Mode Ultimate BEC (UBEC) - R/C Helicopters - it is a switch mode and somewhat cheap :)

My amp6basic is not working properly as one channel is faultering but it turns out that it's the bad chip problem announced on 41hz. Have been trying to get in touch with Jan to get a replacement chip for over 2 weeks now, still no feedback what so ever concerning my matter. Anyone know this guy? Getting a bit frustrated as I'd like to finish the boombox...

My amp6basic is not working properly as one channel is faultering but it turns out that it's the bad chip problem announced on 41hz. Have been trying to get in touch with Jan to get a replacement chip for over 2 weeks now, still no feedback what so ever concerning my matter. Anyone know this guy? Getting a bit frustrated as I'd like to finish the boombox...

How soon do you need a new TA2020? I have one that's never been used and guarenteed not of the faulty batch (it's one of the originals from Korea, not the newer ones from China).

Otherwise try to contact V-bro either here or on the 41hz forum (which is down at the moment as they update the website this weekend), he has good contact with Jan.

Last edited:
hi guys im going to assemble it all today. and i have a few questions left
what kind of glue should use when glueing the magnets and should i remove the sticker ?
and should put something inbetween ?

i have bought the recommended bubble horn tweeter from ebay
HORN BUBBLE TWEETERS 3.5" 10 PACK PIEZO PA DJ (NTX3711) | eBay

what kind of ohm resistor should i use ? 100 or 150 ?

thanks in advance

Remove sticker, clean the magnet surface with some alcohol, glue magnets together with strong two component glue, if there's space somewhere between cabinet walls and the driver then mount a masonite board (with the speaker hole cutout) to fit or anything else with the thickness needed.

Resistor is 33 ohm I think. That's at least what I think Phaedras uses his with and he says it sounds fine.

Correct me if wrong.