The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Sounds nice. I'll probably only bring 2 panels like you did. That looks sweet and would be a lot less hassle to get them to fit than with the big panel. Plus it will be a lot more resilient to everything.

I just feel bad that I've spent money on the big panel and its dimensions comprehends me from using the proper boominator design :(

Sounds nice. I'll probably only bring 2 panels like you did. That looks sweet and would be a lot less hassle to get them to fit than with the big panel. Plus it will be a lot more resilient to everything.

I just feel bad that I've spent money on the big panel and its dimensions comprehends me from using the proper boominator design :(

Did you buy a router, as recommended? Then it shouldn't be too hard routing out the top to fit the solar panels..

Did you already build your second Boominator?

No my second boominator is to come, and I'm planning it at the moment. I thought a long time about buying a router and I think I'm gonna buy the one you recommended at elextra.dk for me a time at HIFI4ALL.dk

If it wasn't you then I'm sorry :p But can you confirm if it would do the trick? Also for rounding handles/ports and so on.

It was me :)

Well, imo a router is an invaluable tool for diy woodworking.. Given a little thought when using the router you can do things that would normally require a lot more advanced and expensive equipment.. The router at elextra is great for a beginner diy'er and after a little while you'll realize its the best tool you've ever owned - next to a a regular powerdrill :)

Would it be possible to just use the elastic sealant directly on the top of the box and clue the solar panel on?

Yes, However, on the panels from Electrozone there's a small box underneath the panel of about 4x4x0,5cm which you'll have to route or chisel out of the top to be able to make it fit :)

Edit: I used this to glue the panels on, its great and easy to work with: http://www.tec7.dk/produkt-sortiment/produkter/tec-7.aspx

Hey Saturnus and everyone else.

Me and my roskilde camp are about to begin the building of our own Boominator, but before start ordering the wrong stuff we got a few questions.

1. Best alternative to the Ebay Piezo speakers from ebay which now is sold out.?

Elextra sells these: Piezo's which i've used in my first boominator and sounds great but they don't have them on stock atm..

I don't know which is recommendable right now - maybe Saturnus will have a take on that..

2. You said your amplifiers Qbox was tuned to 88 herz, what does it mean and how can we do this (if its even important) we are planning to get the preassembled amp6 from 41. HZ

I think you have mixed things together.. The box tuning has nothing to do with the amplifier per se, but has everything to do with how the cabinet and the port is calculated.. You should read the whole thread, as everything is explained almost to details..

3. Should we glue the magnets together or should the box tighten them together if you know what i mean.

Both. If you tweak the Boominators size so that the woofers will reach each other magnet to magnet then you should definately glue them together! If you are not tweaking the size then you should glue the woofers to the centerbracing for a mechanical connection, it won't be 100% as good but the loss of sensitivity will be miniscule..

Best Regards Camp ManhooD

I'll only add to the above that tweaking the size to get the magnets together can doesn't necessarily mean changing the design in any way. You can also mount a 4-5mm thick ring of masonite board/acryllic sheet on the inside of the cabinet. That's what I'd recommend doing. The glueing the magnets directly on the centerbraces is a lot easier though as it doesn't require perfectly making the hole for the magnets in the centerbrace so they match up with the baffle hole. That can be a pain in the **** unless you have CNC machinery ;)

I'm still not quite sure about glueing the speakers together...my concern is that we will never be able to get them apart again, which will make it very difficult for us to use them in a future revision of our own boominator. Is it only for structural strength, or something else? Because our speakers are very tightly pressed together by the casing itself, and also held in place by the hole in the centerbrace, although not completely 'closed in' by he hole. The hole is maybe 2-3 wider than the speakermagnets.

I'm still not quite sure about glueing the speakers together...my concern is that we will never be able to get them apart again, which will make it very difficult for us to use them in a future revision of our own boominator. Is it only for structural strength, or something else? Because our speakers are very tightly pressed together by the casing itself, and also held in place by the hole in the centerbrace, although not completely 'closed in' by he hole. The hole is maybe 2-3 wider than the speakermagnets.

That is sort of the whole point. That it will not come apart ever, neither by accident nor on purpose. Not glueing or other wise completely fasten them to the centerbrace is in my opinion a mistake though as that in principle allows for the cabinet to flex over the cross-axis. The ends and electronic compartment naturally pretty much eliminates this possibility already but as the saying goes: "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing".

Last edited:

I'd bet that even though your woofers are pressed hard against each other you'll still be able to see a small cap when you wiggle your cabinet.. And if thats possible, you'll get a high frequent "clapping" noise of the speakers vibrating against each other when playing loud..
Thats what i've experienced in tests on my first Boominator..

If you are concerned that you might wanna use the woofers in the future for something else, glue them together with something like regular household glue.. It will make the woofers stick quite hard together, but wont be impossible to disassemble if you ever feel like it :)

Looking over the list for the equipment needed to build the Boominator Signature it becomes quite clear that one of the items are really hard to come by.

• P.audio SN10MB series II (no alternatives)

Even though it says no alternatives, there have to be some?

Can the newer P.Audio SN10-300MB (specifications, PDF) be used as a viable alternative?

The current lead time I have gotten quoted on the SN10MB series 2 (specifications, PDF) speakers are 10 - 12 weeks, which is a bit too long for my comfort.

Any suggestions what would otherwise work well with the AMP9?

I have not come across any viable alternatives to the SN2-10MB. It's specifically designed for use in ultra compact two-way cabinets and it's sound in the vocal range borders on being truly hi-end. In that respect they're pretty much similar to my Fostex206FE BLHs.

Please note that the SN10-300MB has completely different T/S parameters, and is designed for a different use, and that is as a wide band midbass in a 3-way system.

When looking for alternatives, these are the desired parameters to look for:

Qt around 0.4
Vas around 20 liter
BL product above 15 Tm
Fs around 65 Hz (this is the only parameter where the SN2-10MB is slightly off at 70 Hz Fs)

Last edited:
I got some packages today.
Tweeters and the amp.
Unfortunately one of the tweeters was broken on arrival. Ill try to get them to ship another one, worst case Ill have to glue it back together.

I tested the Lepai amp with a pair of DIY speakers I normally use with my own T-amps (Trends Audio) and the input sensitivity is really noticable. I can max my trends audio without maxing the speakers but with the lepai I max the speakers at about 50% volume. So it seems much better suited for mobile phone playback.

Thanks for the tip Saturnus.

Yeah, they're quite difficult to find. I got them from here:

SN-10MB NOU ! - DiscoPRO - un magazin Poweraudio Romania

Write to them and ask if they have them in stock (unless you understand Romanian).

Please note the stupidly large genuine WBT gold terminals on them!!! These are truly serious drivers for only DKK920.

They sure know what to take for them compared to what the other store is charging. In the end it amounts to a difference of ~1.000 DKR for 4.

Either way, I will throw them a message to see if they actual have any in stock. After all, not much of a Boominator without them :p

Last edited:
They sure know what to take for them compared to what the other store is charging. In the end it amounts to a difference of ~1.000 DKR for 4.

Either way, I will throw them a message to see if they actual have any in stock. After all, not much of a Boominator without them :p

That's probably the price for them being a stock item instead of an on order/pay first item.