The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

You should note that I plan to sell these at some point in the future but for your own use there's absolutely no problem in building your own. You should note that this is the final prototype version and that the real full version will have slightly different dimensions as I'm putting in a 14 watts a-Si solar panel to cover the entire top. I'm also using another tweeter now instead of the peizo type in the prototype.

This one: Constant Directivity Horn | super tweeter tweeters tweeter ir horns horn tweeters horn tweeter horn CTS | Parts-Express.com

That also means that I'm using a proper filter now. It's just a simple 6/12db octave type so it shouldn't be too difficult sorting out component values. I'm not finished tweaking the filter yet.

Hi Saturnus
Have you come to any conclusion on your tweeter and filter choice for the Boominator Mark II??

greetings, & cad file question

Hello from a new member, and thank you to the many contributors to this thread, Saturnus first and foremost! Excellent project.

I'm just starting my own build, and thinking about what variations, if any, to make from Saturnus's design.

Saturnus, unless I've missed something -- entirely possibly after reading 641 posts back-to-back -- I can't seem to locate your sketchup file. Would you mind providing it again? I could easily provide permanent public hosting, too (I run an open source project & have a dedicated server with plenty of free bandwidth/space to spare.)

I'm sure I'll return with more annoying questions.. :)

cheers.

Hi.. I need some help from you guys in here.

I need to find out how much battery power I need for the setup I have been building. I have been making a Boominator clone for the upcoming Roskilde Festival, but I cant figure out how to calculate how much battery power im going to need.
Could anyone of you tell me how to do that, so I can find out how many batteries I need?

I have build a boominator clon with the following setup:

- AMP6-Basic Amplifier
- 2 x P.Audio HP-10W
- 2 x Piezo Tweeters
- and an Ipod as audio input.

It has been build exactly as Saturnus has explained it should.
Many in this thread have written that with this setup, it will last ~170hours on a 75ah car battery, but I dont know how they have come up with this number. Can anyone help me with this calculation? I need to calculate it at max power btw!

I'm pretty sure I use 4 woofers and 4 tweeters ;)

Anyways, as has been explained countless times in this thread and in the Roskilde Forum thread, this is how you calculate it:

Total average consumption at maximum music output = voltage squared / (impedance * 10) ( = 1.8W in this case)

That because total output per channel is voltage squared / (impedance * 2) * efficiency

Since effeciency is irrelevant for consumption we remove that.

And since we have 2 channels we remove the * 2

And since you don't listen to sinus test waves but actual music the average output as set by international standards to minimum 10 dB below (this equals heavily compressed techno music or commercial sound tracks in sound quality = really bad) the average music output is maximum one-tenth of maximum output we add the * 10.

A car battery is not a good consumption battery so the realistic usable Ah rating is 2/3rd the specified, and the average voltage over usage time is about 12V we get:

(75 * 2 * 12) / 3 = 600Wh, divided with consumption gives: 600Wh / 1.8W = 333 hours.

Last edited:
I have beenreading through this thread and have decided to start prepping for my own boominator clone.
First off I love your stereo, I wish there was a picture of it complete though. Or maybe I have just missed it :)
Reason I wanna see a final picture is that I can't really understand what the two holes between your speakers are for?
I see you got the horn on the sides.

Anyways, I have been looking at some speakers, and found out that the company I work at gets a pretty good discpunt from monacor.dk, so I have been trying to find a some there.
I have partly decided to buy the following:
SPA-10PA
HT-95PA

I tried to look for a driver similar to the HP-10W that you love so much, would the SPA-10PA do? Also is the tweeter alright? Or would a piezo be better?

Saturnus: Great work with the boominator! Earlier this summer, a guy at the swedish festival "Fiesta!" let me have a peek at his version of the boominatior. It sounded great!

So now I have decided to build a version of my own. I think i will step up a size and build with 12 inch elements instead. Will the Amp6 be suitable for going up "a size"?

Hmm i just recieved my 2 x P. Audio WN-8R-elements and noticed that the speaker cones are different. One is shiny and the other one is matt. Wonder if they have left out some treatment on the matt-coloured speaker? Do you think this might effect the sound? Product serials and other codes on the packets are identical.
Here is a few fotos:
1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

Cheer,

Lasse

hi guys ! cool projects! how ever its not as portable here and there, ive made myself something what might not be a massive machine, but its still very loud and very bassy, at the same time its light , rugged and lasts 10 hours on one charge and not huge ( also not small)

its a good 90 CM long a tube with 2 90 deg pieces for the 4" speakers that have 90Db each, and 4 Ohms, good for battery power loads, it uses a MKIII TA2020 and a MP3 module with remote, a simple one without display.

it weighs 4 KG and has an amazing sound! way way better than those JVC boom box things in the time, and very loud, no distortion and Cristal clear... needless to say im very happy with it, aldo there are some things i intend to improve, first of witch the looks... its not a looker..

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

if there is interest i can share some more info for the somewhat modest boominators amongst us :)

hi guys ! cool projects! how ever its not as portable here and there, ive made myself something what might not be a massive machine, but its still very loud and very bassy, at the same time its light , rugged and lasts 10 hours on one charge and not huge ( also not small)

its a good 90 CM long a tube with 2 90 deg pieces for the 4" speakers that have 90Db each, and 4 Ohms, good for battery power loads, it uses a MKIII TA2020 and a MP3 module with remote, a simple one without display.

it weighs 4 KG and has an amazing sound! way way better than those JVC boom box things in the time, and very loud, no distortion and Cristal clear... needless to say im very happy with it, aldo there are some things i intend to improve, first of witch the looks... its not a looker..

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

if there is interest i can share some more info for the somewhat modest boominators amongst us :)

I really hope that I don't bother you with my questions, but what kind of batteries are you using? I've experimented with PVC, but I don't know how to port.

Thank you for your time

Hi there,

Im using lithium polymer, 8A batteries, 3 of them to get 12V, the TA2020 takes around 1A at maximal volume ( sound is not a constant load ) so it runs smooth. a battery protection for under voltage is recommended. my MKIII will still function at 8V, but the batteries should not be discharged lower than 3V per cell at best.

a digital volt meter would be a good addition to this set.

if you want to know how to port you should match the size of the tube to the VAS of the speaker. you can easily use a online calculator to calculate its size in liters, and convert that to the length of the tube you need. in practice its always trial and error for this, but if you want the tubes like i put them you can calculate the quarter frequency wave length according to the Fs of your driver, ( resonant frequency) and make sure that the path that the sound has to travel to get back to the cone of the driver is exactly a quarter of the wavelength of Fs.

This trick works most of the time.

Greetings!

Arjen Helder

Hmm i just recieved my 2 x P. Audio WN-8R-elements and noticed that the speaker cones are different. One is shiny and the other one is matt. Wonder if they have left out some treatment on the matt-coloured speaker? Do you think this might effect the sound? Product serials and other codes on the packets are identical.
Here is a few fotos:

Lasse

Hi, Yes this will most likely affect the sound quality. One of the speakers is doped the other is not. How this happened is anyones guess. If you have contact details for where you got them from I would complain.

The doped speaker will most likly have a smother roll off at the top but it will also be slightly less efficient due to the extra weight and for the same reason probably has a lower Fs.

Having said all of that they will undoubtly still work and make sound so it depends on how fussy you are.

Regards,
Andrew

Hi there,

Im using lithium polymer, 8A batteries, 3 of them to get 12V, the TA2020 takes around 1A at maximal volume ( sound is not a constant load ) so it runs smooth. a battery protection for under voltage is recommended. my MKIII will still function at 8V, but the batteries should not be discharged lower than 3V per cell at best.

a digital volt meter would be a good addition to this set.

if you want to know how to port you should match the size of the tube to the VAS of the speaker. you can easily use a online calculator to calculate its size in liters, and convert that to the length of the tube you need. in practice its always trial and error for this, but if you want the tubes like i put them you can calculate the quarter frequency wave length according to the Fs of your driver, ( resonant frequency) and make sure that the path that the sound has to travel to get back to the cone of the driver is exactly a quarter of the wavelength of Fs.

This trick works most of the time.

Greetings!

Arjen Helder

My appologies for bothering you yet again, but where do you get your batteries. I have searched high and low for a cheap option, but am unable to find one. I have bought these batteries

12V 4800mA Rechargeable Li-ion Battery for CCTV Cam F46 - eBay (item 220607758182 end time Jul-17-10 01:12:38 PDT)

but had to bypass the internal protection circuits because the battery would cut off whenever I turned it on. I have since run several cycles through them without any problem what so ever. If you could kindly show a link to where you're finding these elusive batteries, I would be most appreciative...

Thank you for your time,
Nicholas G.

hi there Nickolas,

i have bought these locally at the electronics market here in Shenzhen, i don't think many sell them online, because its difficult to ship them, most air freight companies will not allow lithium cells on-board, bad cells and especially bad protection boards have caught fire before causing great damage to the plane and other shipments on the airplane.

i'm not sure if i can ship them to you if needed, but ill ask.

the price i payed for those 8A cells was 250 RMB for 3 pieces, giving me 12V, 8A.

Greetings!

Arjen

This battery discussion is a good thing! Most of the Swedish festivals has decided to ban the use of acid type batteries. I finished my clone of the boominator so i could bring it to "Arvikafestivalen" this summer but they put the batteries on the ban list just one week before the start of the festival. Hope you guys find the ultimate powersource soon and post the answer here=)

The sealed gel lead type is not a problem when built into the speaker and is safe regarding charging compared to lithium. This years Roskilde left alot of car batteries lying around which is a pity as this careless handling of batteries will cause a ban eventually.

The LiFePo4 battery type is another safe option.