The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Absolutely not. That's no way near strong enough if you want it professionally done. You're looking at wood paint. You have to look at boat paint. It's expensive, it's enviromentally and health hazardous but it's the best.

Something like this: http://www.hempel.com/internet/hempelcomcopy3006.nsf/vALLBYDOCID2/57700AF7A0C6CE5EC12568E900462BDB/$file/PDS_45551.pdf

Haha okay.. I was pretty much guessing and hoped for the low price. But I don't think I dare touch stuff like that when you put it like you have done :) I'm pretty clumsy sometimes :p

I'll stick to sanding and using primer/paint. Also the a guy at Østerbro Tømmerhandel guessed that I would be using this for some speakers :D He told me that if they were to be outdoors, they should be primed where the cuts are or maybe be given som lacquer. But he said it was only a necessity on the cut surfaces.

I would assume that you were going to Roskilde Festival? And you want to build a stereo before that with items from parts-express.com? It's in the US, so there's no chance that you will have them in time.

If you're going to another festival and/or you are building your stereo later, then don't mind this post.

Would this panel fit on top of the Boominator ?

15W Solar Panel Battery Charger: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

SunForce Products Inc. - Backup Power - 15 Watt Solar 12V Battery Charger

there are 3 different sizes, 2 on the Amazon page and one on Sunforce webpage. Hmm which one is correct ? Also i don't know how big it is when i take it out of the case. Any ideas ?

@Saturnus it is the panel you recommended from Frys in the US.

This one is VERY simmilar if not the same one :

http://cgi.ebay.de/12V-Solarmodul-S...t=Sonstige_Hauselektronik&hash=item3f0ace38ba

Last edited:
Look at the panel dimensions! Anything larger than 900 x 300 mm will hang out from the sides. And it's not sure that you will be able to take off the plastic/rubber frame. I experienced that firsthand.

However, aluminium frames can often be removed I guess (with screws).

According to all sizes it's to big and as i mentioned i don't know if the casing can be stripped. hmmmmm......

Any suggestions to panels that will fit ? Saturnus did not have any suggestion so if someone else found something i would be interested to know.

A smaller 10 W panel should also do. There is kerychip.dk which has some nice prices compared to the rest of Denmark. Otherwise there is 2 of those 5 W panels from electrozone.dk. Their prices are also not as extreme as many others.

EDIT: This 10 W panel should fit (unless someone begs to differ)... Although this is a monocrystalline solar panel which will not charge as much as an amorphous panel when cloudy. But it's cheap as hell :)

Last edited:
A smaller 10 W panel should also do. There is kerychip.dk which has some nice prices compared to the rest of Denmark. Otherwise there is 2 of those 5 W panels from electrozone.dk. Their prices are also not as extreme as many others.

EDIT: This 10 W panel should fit (unless someone begs to differ)... Although this is a monocrystalline solar panel which will not charge as much as an amorphous panel when cloudy. But it's cheap as hell :)

Cool web page.

I found this one which is to big unless you can take the aluminum frame off.

KeryChip WEBSHOP - solceller, solcelleanlæg, tilbehør

You can't... I have it at home. It says that it's an aluminium frame but it's truly a hard plastic frame which isn't removable. It's melted to the glass. And even if you could, I still think it would be too big.

I'm gonna build something larger next year using this panel. I'm gonna figure out in the meantime. But until then it's not suitable for the boominator's top surface.

You can't... I have it at home. It says that it's an aluminium frame but it's truly a hard plastic frame which isn't removable. It's melted to the glass. And even if you could, I still think it would be too big.

I'm gonna build something larger next year using this panel. I'm gonna figure out in the meantime. But until then it's not suitable for the boominator's top surface.

damn it......

then we have this one which is the model slightly bigger then the one you recommended although still monocrystalline

This one is 299mm big but again i would like to make it smaller coz i want to get it "sunken" in the wood so if i use a router i need at least couple of mm i guess.

Cool web page.

I found this one which is to big unless you can take the aluminum frame off.

It's too big even with the frame off. Pretty much every solar panel comes from the same 2-3 factories originally. And they have all changed their standard panel size.

Also those full size amorphous panels weighs about 4Kg just for the raw panel. I'm much more interested in film cells now. They're under a mm thick, weighs only a few hundred g, and is even more efficient than both monocrystalline and amorphous panels under all weather conditions.

Solar Products for OEMs, Military & Consumers | PowerFilmSolar.com

It's too big even with the frame off. Pretty much every solar panel comes from the same 2-3 factories originally. And they have all changed their standard panel size.

Also those full size amorphous panels weighs about 4Kg just for the raw panel. I'm much more interested in film cells now. They're under a mm thick, weighs only a few hundred g, and is even more efficient than both monocrystalline and amorphous panels under all weather conditions.

Solar Products for OEMs, Military & Consumers | PowerFilmSolar.com

but where do you buy those ? any links ?

Last edited:
The inside width of my box is 27,6 and my speakers are, when glued together, 26,6... should i get 1 cm og linolium and stick in between the magnets or should i get 0,5 plywood and make the "fitting circle" thicker ?

i only have the 5ply 12 mm wooden board and i have not made any cuts yet.

any suggestions how to fit the boominator mark 2 with the new design HP-10 w ?

thanks everyone

Last edited: