The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Okay, Saturnus, you're not gonna like this.

The main reason I ask this, is because there seems to be too little space when making this half version.

Meh :-|

I'm not sure I follow you here. The ½Boominator is option for people who can afford or don't have room for/can't carry a full one. And now you're saying it's too small?

I don't see that as a problem at all. Just build a full version. It's vastly better anyways.

I'm not sure I follow you here. The ½Boominator is option for people who can afford or don't have room for/can't carry a full one. And now you're saying it's too small?

I don't see that as a problem at all. Just build a full version. It's vastly better anyways.

I've done some recalculations, and it seems I can fit everything.

I was just scared for a moment. But yes - I know it will be vastly better. I'm building this half version because my money is somewhat tight and because it will only be me and my brother crashing around at friend's camps. Therefore I think the reduced weight will have its benefits.

This is a huge thread to search through... but I'm over in Canada and finding a local dealer for the HP-10Ws seems pretty much impossible, and I'd much rather not order them from Europe... so I'm looking for a reasonable replacement.

Lately I've been going through bass guitar speakers, as they seem to have the same general set of parameters as the HP-10W, and came across this guy, Celestion TF1020. 10" also, and seems relatively cheap and available. Xmax is a little less than the HP-10W, but everything else seems to line up OK. Thoughts?

Datasheet: http://professional.celestion.com/pro/pdf/TF1020.pdf

The HP-10W are unfortunately impossible to get in all of North America unless you want the hassle of shipping them from Europe/Australia/Far East yourself.

Fortunately though, I have already taken provision for North American builders, in that there is an (almost) drop in replacement in the Goldwood G-1058. It's also much cheaper, so you're in luck there. Typical sales prices for the Goldwood G-1058 is between USD30-40 but you can get offers as low as USD27 each when you buy a set of 4.

"SPL: 94.2 dB 2.83W/1m"... doesn't that work out to 89.7 dB 1W/1m?

That's 2.83 Volts not Watt. 2.83V=1W into 8ohm.

Please note, that even though the HP-10W states 96db/w/m, that's a little optimistic. The actual average value is closer to 94.7, and the G-1058s sensitivity is rather conservatively stated and fairly accurate.

Last edited:
Missed that, thanks. Debating between just grabbing the Goldwoods or digging further for a reasonably efficient 8" or smaller speaker. Love the Boominator, it's just a tad on the large side, and for some aesthetic reason I can't explain I'm not really the greatest fan of the "half-Boominator"...

Anyway, I've got a class D board designed which you guys might find interesting for this project. Parts list includes:

- LTC3652 MPPT solar charger.
- TI TPA3004D2 stereo class D amplifier, set up for driving 4 ohms.
- Bit of analog filtering in front of the TPA, to provide ground loop rejection and a high-pass bass filter.
- TPS54140 DC/DC with 5V output for charging MP3 players, phones, etc.
- Comparator for low battery protection.

It's a SMT board with 0603 sized parts and thermal pads under a couple of things, but it can be soldered by hand. I have a couple of similar cards built already for a previous solar powered camping radio project and didn't have too much trouble putting it together.

Since the Boominator is more or less public domain, I'll release the card in the same fashion when I'm finished tweaking it.

Neat. Can't wait to see it.

I'm certainly not a fan of the ½Boominator either as you can probably tell from previous posts. And while the Boominator is on the large and heavy side it's still a practically possible design. Going to 8" or smaller drivers is simply not possible without sacrificing huge amounts of sensitivity or bass performance or both. It does not matter how expensive an 6½" or 8" you find, they will simply not match even a low cost 10" like the HP-10W or G-1058.

I suggest to try and build it (in the full version) you will not regret it. :D

Last edited:
Okay. Seems that no one saw my post so i'm just gonna post it again.

Hi.
I'm relatively new to all this. So therefore i have a question i want to ask. I plan on buying one of these 2011 New Version Lepai Class T Tripath TA2020 Amp 20WX2 - eBay (item 290534649380 end time May-15-11 14:30:04 PDT) and connect with two of these which i already have http://6x9carspeakers.org/blaupunkt-...xial-speakers/. But since those speakers aren't very good i plan on buying two of these HIFI KIT ELECTRONIC AB - Högtalarelement HiFi Hembio Billjud/Marin Studio PA/DJ Kablage Tillbehör also. Now my question is if i risk frying the amp if i parallel connect the speakers to the amp since they are different ohms?

Thanks!

Hi Grummegustav,

You probably didn't get an answer because you are posting in someone else's thread. Now to answer your question, yes you will harm your amp if you wire the speakers together in parallel. The amp requires a minimum of 4 ohms. The second link speaker is fine at 8 ohms but the first link which wouldn't open for me is for 6X9 car speakers. Car speakers are almost always 4 ohms so you will drop below the 4 ohms if wired in parallel.

Okay. Seems that no one saw my post so i'm just gonna post it again.

Hi.
I'm relatively new to all this. So therefore i have a question i want to ask. I plan on buying one of these 2011 New Version Lepai Class T Tripath TA2020 Amp 20WX2 - eBay (item 290534649380 end time May-15-11 14:30:04 PDT) and connect with two of these which i already have http://6x9carspeakers.org/blaupunkt-...xial-speakers/. But since those speakers aren't very good i plan on buying two of these HIFI KIT ELECTRONIC AB - Högtalarelement HiFi Hembio Billjud/Marin Studio PA/DJ Kablage Tillbehör also. Now my question is if i risk frying the amp if i parallel connect the speakers to the amp since they are different ohms?

Thanks!

Possibly. Going below 4 ohm isn't recommended with the TA2020 model without proper cooling.

For those interested, I made a betaversion of the half boominator in Sketchup. It's a complete version until someone tells me something is wrong :)
Also, it is the design I intend to use this year. It's a bit different than the original boominator, but has some of the old features.

Can be found at this link: Half boominator

Thanks to Saturnus with contributing with the original design.

Last edited:
Hello again:)

I'm pretty confused on what Piezo's to use.. I don't think I have enough time to order the ones from Ebay?

Is there any good Piezo's to order from a Scandinavian/European site?

Basically, you are looking for a replica of the Motorola KSN1005 or the original tweeter itself.

For example this one: https://www.elextra.dk/main.aspx?page=article&artno=H19399

Or this one: Tweeter højttaler PT-1010 | BN100285 - Elektronik Lavpris ApS

There is also the option of waiting for the bubble tweeters from eBay to come in stock again, but that may take weeks.