The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Still 2 of those will be 14,4Ah, more than 1 12Ah.
But it's easier to connect using just 1 battery ofc.

Our plan was to have 2 x 55AH car battery in the boombox, but that would get the weight up around 30kg at least.

So now we are counting on having 2 x 12AH batteries, with one supplying the amp and one supplying a usb charger.

As far as I could read in this thread that 12AH should be fine to play at maximum volume for at least 4-5 days?

One 55 Ah battery will last around 150 hours with maximum volume in 4 ohm. If a car battery, then it's roughly 2/3 of that amount.

One SLA 12V 12Ah battery will last around 32 hours. That is when the AMP6 uses 4,4 W at maximum volume in 4 ohm.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Would one of thoose 12V 12AH batteries be decent for USB charge use also? - I can see that the idea with car batteries are not a good idea :|

Well, you all know my recommendation. It's sort of implied in the design ;)

2 12V 7Ah batteries in parallel will last roughly 40 hours.

Wanna have a USB charger. Fine, either don't play on the device you're charging it only takes about 2 hours to recharge an iPod so play on one of your camp mates ipod while yours is charging, or get a ground loop isolation filter and solve the problem once and for all.

Note that it's only a problem to play and charge on the same device at the same time. You can charge as many devices as you like on your USB charger as long it's not the one currently playing music. Or get an input trafo and forget there ever was a problem.

Last edited:
Well, you all know my recommendation. It's sort of implied in the design ;)

2 12V 7Ah batteries in parallel will last roughly 40 hours.

Wanna have a USB charger. Fine, either don't play on the device you're charging it only takes about 2 hours to recharge an iPod so play on one of your camp mates ipod while yours is charging, or get a ground loop isolation filter and solve the problem once and for all.

I wanna make it work - so im listening to you ;)

Multipower 12V - 7,2Ah (6.3mm) - - Would theese be okay?

Oh thanks :D I'll buy 3 pieces of them. 2 to parallel to the amp and 1 of them to usb charger. That should do it right?

With the Yuasa's it is actually possible to fit 3 inside on top of eachother if you hammer the terminals flat after soldering on the wires, and reroute all cables around the batteries. That means the cables go through the speaker cabinet instead of over the batteries as normal when you have 2 batteries on top of eachother.

Please note this requires that the batteries are inserted from the bottom as intended in the design and that you use washers on the outside to hold the batteries in. The 3 batteries on top of eachother is around 287mm high so there's only 1mm to spare.

Last edited:
With the Yuasa's it is actually possible to fit 3 inside on top of eachother if you hammer the terminals flat after soldering on the wires, and reroute all cables around the batteries. That means the cables go through the speaker cabinet instead of over the batteries as normal when you have 2 batteries on top of eachother.

Please note this requires that the batteries are inserted from the bottom as intended in the design and that you use washers on the outside to hold the batteries in. The 3 batteries on top of eachother is around 287mm high so there's only 1mm to spare.

The cassey we are building are not 110 % equal to yours, altho its inspired by it...