Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine
The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2017, 05:57 PM   #6621
lutkeveld is offline lutkeveld
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummiejon View Post
Wow

Have people stopped building now they can buy a Soundbocks... In my opinion, a well build Boominator sounds better and is considerable cheaper......
Yeah, but most people probably don't want to mess with all the woodwork and electronics.

Also, the formfactor and weight of the SoundBoks is nicer IMO, and if you would replicate the electronics (DSP, bi-amping, lifepo4 battery) you would probably end up the same cost-wise.

I think there has to be some new design with newer tech to battle the SoundBoks. Some kind of CNC cut enclosure, lithium batteries and an All-In-One PCB (BT, amp, charger, DSP etc).
Old 13th November 2017, 09:36 PM   #6622
aterren is offline aterren  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree folks seem to have stopped building and the boominator really sounds great and is PLENTY loud for my needs.

It really seems like we are on an path, in many parts of society, where “building it yourself” is dying a slow death...instant gratification and all....
Old 13th November 2017, 11:25 PM   #6623
bitSmasher is offline bitSmasher  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm still waiting for a viable all in one board to cover BMS /DSP / BT /etc... we need something available to bring DIY options up to speed with commercial options
Old 14th November 2017, 05:49 AM   #6624
aterren is offline aterren  United States
diyAudio Member

That would be nice
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:32 AM   #6625
NATDBERG is offline NATDBERG  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aterren View Post
I agree folks seem to have stopped building and the boominator really sounds great and is PLENTY loud for my needs.

It really seems like we are on an path, in many parts of society, where “building it yourself” is dying a slow death...instant gratification and all....
or simple, economics.. total cost/hours to build vs a calculated hourly wage. So often you have to be doing the building for the sake of it, the enjoyment of it, not to save money (unless are not well off or not working of course....).

I DIY to get products that aren't available commercially.
Old 2nd December 2017, 12:44 PM   #6626
Big SturL is offline Big SturL  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hey boys and girls! I haven't been here for a loooong time, but today I saw a review of Soundboks 2 on a Norwegian website. However, they were not impressed with the audio quality. I have not tried the Soundboks, and never heard a full Boominator, but I did build a Boominator mini 4.5 yrs ago (which made me the most popular kid on the playground, for obvious reasons).

Would anyone, (who's tried the Soundboks and the Boominator) care to comment on the claims made that the treble is screechy and bass is lacking on the Soundboks 2? EDIT: Link to review. Google translate for English.

My guess (and hope) is that the reviewers are not competent to make the assessment.
----
I had a full boominator in the works 1.5 yrs ago, but never got to finish it due to travel. However, I'm going home for xmas, and need to kill 2 weeks. Might as well finish the darn thing, seeing as I've done most of the heavy work already. Gallery from spring last year for anyone interested: Boominator - Google Photos

EDIT2: However, I have no idea what the recommended AMP is any longer. I have some TA2020/TA2024/TPA3116 lying around from years ago, but not sure if I should use those or order new.

Last edited by Big SturL; 2nd December 2017 at 12:53 PM. Reason: edits yo
Old 4th December 2017, 03:37 PM   #6627
Big SturL is offline Big SturL  Norway
diyAudio Member

Currently looking at this TA2024 board from SURE: WONDOM 2X15W 4 ohm Class-D Audio Amplifier Board TA2024 2.0 12V | eBay

Any ideas? Or should I simply opt for the MAX20?
Old 22nd December 2017, 08:29 PM   #6628
mikalo is offline mikalo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hey everybody,
So I finished my build 5 years ago and its still going strong!
mikalo's boominator - Album on Imgur
The only work I've done on it is a battery replacement.
I'd like to refurbish it and am thinking of putting volume control/ preamp in. The reason is that it makes a pop sound between every track that gets played. It's like the amp is turning off and on between every track. It would also be nice to not have to tell everyone to turn their device volume down.

Any hardware suggestions? Bluetooth would be a bonus.

My setup consists of:
Amp6 -
HP-10W Drivers
KSN1001A Tweeters
Old 23rd December 2017, 02:41 PM   #6629
larzman is offline larzman  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice work Mikalo.

I'm curious, did you glue the wood together in addition to the screws? Also, does your battery meter gauge always stay on? I'm adding a similar piece to mine but adding a push-button switch (PBNO) to the meter, that way it doesn't waste power staying lit all the time, it only comes on when you push the momentary contact switch.

One last thing (maybe this was covered already, but I don't have time to re-read the whole thread!), what kind of caulk was used to seal the speakers to the wood?

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th December 2017, 01:07 AM   #6630
horst303 is offline horst303  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikalo View Post
Hey everybody,
So I finished my build 5 years ago and its still going strong!
mikalo's boominator - Album on Imgur
The only work I've done on it is a battery replacement.
I'd like to refurbish it and am thinking of putting volume control/ preamp in. The reason is that it makes a pop sound between every track that gets played. It's like the amp is turning off and on between every track. It would also be nice to not have to tell everyone to turn their device volume down.

Any hardware suggestions? Bluetooth would be a bonus.

My setup consists of:
Amp6 -
HP-10W Drivers
KSN1001A Tweeters
this does all you want
Nobsound NS-10G 100W Bluetooth 4.0 Power Amplifier Stereo Hi-Fi Bass Digital Amp | eBay

sounds great, has line in, a usb sound card and bluetooth, being a TPA3116 it takes 24V so has lots of oompf, but will work well well off a 12v battery.
The only issue is that all that utility comes at a price: it sucks 100mA straight off the bat, and when playing at low volume it becomes quite warm, amazingly at high volume it somehow becomes much more efficient and stays cooler,
depending on your needs, this maybe a deal breaker, but as a package I know of no amp that can do all of that in such a compact form.

The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machineHide this!Advertise here!