Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine
The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2015, 01:32 PM   #5681
Eddie550 is offline Eddie550
diyAudio Member

LSP has the woofer for $39.99us and the PHT 407 for $29.99us ! Free ship over $98 in the us..
Old 18th February 2015, 07:37 PM   #5682
n0face is offline n0face  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I just shattered a solar panel trying to extract it from an aluminium frame, I'm more then a little annoyed with myself. Are there any cheap suitable panels anybody knows of?
Old 18th February 2015, 09:30 PM   #5683
Duffy Moon is offline Duffy Moon  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0face View Post
Are there any cheap suitable panels anybody knows of?
eBay shop renewable-power-solutions seems to have some interesting panels.
Old 19th February 2015, 11:52 AM   #5684
pabmeister is offline pabmeister
diyAudio Member

Hi folks. I came across this thread via someone on Reddit.

I am curious about this build, and was wondering if you could help me out.

Firstly, is there a place to get current, up-to-date instructions? The website, Boominator, is totally broken, and this thread is huge!

Secondly, would it be possibly to build this with a budget of 100~?

Thirdly, is it a project a newbie, like myself, can complete?

Hope you can help
Old 19th February 2015, 01:36 PM   #5685
n0face is offline n0face  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Duffy Moon, thanks for the link, I've ordered a new panel. Hopefully I can bust this one out of the frame without smashing it.

Pabmeister, I've spent 200 just on the wood and speakers. You'd have to to snag some amazing bargains to bring it in for a ton.
Old 19th February 2015, 01:41 PM   #5686
Duffy Moon is offline Duffy Moon  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Duffy Moon, thanks for the link, I've ordered a new panel. Hopefully I can bust this one out of the frame without smashing it.
Which one did you get, just out of curiosity? Let us know how it goes.
Old 19th February 2015, 02:04 PM   #5687
pabmeister is offline pabmeister
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Pabmeister, I've spent 200 just on the wood and speakers. You'd have to to snag some amazing bargains to bring it in for a ton.
Hmm, what about the Halfinator? (Boominator Mini?)

It may be this project is a bit too ambitious for my first boombox? I've been reading up about a Lepai 2020 build, using some 6x9 2/3 way car speakers.

Thoughts?
Old 19th February 2015, 02:47 PM   #5688
lutkeveld is offline lutkeveld
diyAudio Member

You can make a Halfinator with piezo tweeters powered by a TA2024 for under 200 dollars. It's more aimed to perform good outdoors tho.
I wouldn't go with the MINI at the moment because it has issues that need fixing.

Maybe a basic boombox (lepai and 6x9'ers) would be the best option for you at the moment. Cheap option to get a reasonable result and gain some experience for a higher end boombox along the way.
Old 19th February 2015, 03:18 PM   #5689
steveeboy is offline steveeboy
diyAudio Member

Hai Guise,

I also have a solar question.

I have finally started gathering final parts for my build and I am sort of stumped on the solar panel issue.

I have read the thread and know which are preferred and such, but I wondered a few things:

1. what are pros and cons of embedding the panels in boominator top vs just keeping is separate and plugging it in to boominator on an as needed basis?

Does anyone run their system in this manner?

I thought it would lighten up the boominator, simplify construction, and you could leave panel in the glass and frame.

Also, you could just order a single 20w panel and save some money over buying two 10w separate panels.

So, that is first question I guess, is it a workable solution to leave panel separate from the boominator?

2. Many/Most of panels of all types are encased in aluminum frames with glass. Builders remove the frames, and then embed the panel in the boominator top.

Is the glass permanently attached to the panel and thus you don't need to do anything else to the panel?

Or, is it sandwiched in there and you put panel in routed-out space and then place glass on top and secure it to top with aluminum pieces or something?

The reason I ask is that in a few places I find what are referred to as "epoxy panels."

These panels do NOT come with aluminum frame and they appear to just have the solar cells encased in clear resin.

They look to me like they might save some steps in construction, be lighter, etc.

However, I am not sure if they would require glass over top of them when installed on top of boominator and thus not really be that time/money saving (because you'd have to purchase tempered glass to cover anyway.)

OTOH, it seems to me that they would be much lighter and portable if you were going to keep them separate from the boomiantor and just plug them in as needed for charging.

I am not anticipating a ton of long -term field use for my boominator. Longest time period might be camping at the Indy 500, which would be Thursday night to Monday morning. I plan on installing 2 x 12v 9ah SLA batteries.

When I research these epoxy panels, some critics claim they are a rip off because the epoxy gets cloudy (sounds like what happens to car headlights these days.)

But others claim the current epoxies do not cloud any more and these are a viable solution.

for an idea as to what I mean, you can search "epoxy solar panel" or "fountain solar panels" and you will see what I mean.

A link to something I was considering for my build was here:

20W 2X 10W 12V Epoxy Solar Panel with Diode Battery Charger DIY Solar Panel | eBay
Old 19th February 2015, 06:52 PM   #5690
brummiejon is offline brummiejon  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Boominator mini issues

Hi lutkeveld.... I've been away for a while..... What are the issues with the mini?

Planning to build a couple this year

BJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutkeveld View Post
You can make a Halfinator with piezo tweeters powered by a TA2024 for under 200 dollars. It's more aimed to perform good outdoors tho.
I wouldn't go with the MINI at the moment because it has issues that need fixing.

Maybe a basic boombox (lepai and 6x9'ers) would be the best option for you at the moment. Cheap option to get a reasonable result and gain some experience for a higher end boombox along the way.

The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machineHide this!Advertise here!