The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

So i started my boominator project here are some of the pictures of the work so far.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I still need to:

-clearcoat the entire box
-fasten all hinges, connectors and so on (the small tap in the carved spot in the lid is a minijack connector which will be pressed in)
-make a plexiglass cover for the carved spot in the lid

Thank god for this thread, and espacially thanks to Saturnus (ofc) and Phaedras for their contributions!

Hey everyone. Haven't been writing here for a while, although I have been following this extremely long thread ^^

I have a question (mostly interesting for danes):

Found a solar panel on elextra.dk. Can you put this to good use? It's 15 W but I'm unsure whether it's gonna damage anything. The panel has a working voltage of 17,5 V and an open circuit voltage of 21~23 V. But the added text says "fits perfectly for charging a standard car battery" which is normally 12 V.

Here's the link https://elextra.dk/main.aspx?page=article&artno=H28382

The text is correct. When it's connected to a battery the voltage will drop accordingly. It's a (almost) perfect fit. Not perfect because that panel is a tiny bit larger than the top of the Boominator in both directions while most I've found of the same type and same rating is a tiny bit smaller than the top of the Boominator.

It's also on the expensive side but that's because it's from Denmark. In Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden and many other European countries you can buy the same panels much cheaper since there's a government subsidy on solar panels (actually it's not a true subsidy but just the rather natural exclusion from CO2 tax which the danish government for some reason still think applies to solar panels).

Here's the panel I'm buying. "Solpanel, 10 watt, 12 volt" 450:- SEK
I'm not sure if I'm going to buy 2 of them but I thought trying one out first would be good. Fairly low price imo. Swedish site, but I'm sure he doesn't have a problem sending it to Denmark.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

cheers!

Holy mother! That's a huge difference. I was in doubt whether to buy a solar panel or not because of the price of 1200 DKK and because of the possibility that it would might get stolen on Roskilde Festival. But around 500 DKK is far more reasonable.

Thumbs up, Saturnus! I think I'm gonna order it from there :p

Btw.. One more question (Sorry if I've overseen the question already asked): What are all those holes good for in the new design (on the peace of wood between the 2 drivers in each cabinet)?

Link me to the page if it's already been asked (sorry, but I just couldn't find it in this huge thread)

Two-fold. Air circulation so that the port is loaded correctly, and to make sure the internal volume is correct. Believe it or not but the 0.3 litre smaller the internal volume would be per side without those cut-outs actually does make a difference for the correct tuning.

Last edited:
I dont relly understand, the speakers when i put the magnets together they are too small to fit in the box, and if I take the rubber thing off its gonna be even smaller.
I mean the measure on the inside is 27,6 and speakers with rubber on glued together is only 26,5 what do I do wrong?

I planned on putting the grill on the outside doesnt that work as well?

They changed the design of the speakers some time last year. You need to mount a sealing gaskets on the inside like those you use to seal doors or windows to prevent draft.

I don't think it looks nearly as good. The grills will then stick out some 18mm on each side. Between the rubber gasket and the driver the grill is almost flush with the front.

Last edited: