Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine
The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 08:28 PM   #411
whelibob is offline whelibob  Finland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Finally finished my blaster. Here is the result:


Amplifier: Sure-electronics TK2050 2x100W
Power source: 2x 12v 9ah lead gelbattery
Drivers:2x P. Audio HP-10W
Piezo Tweeters: MPT-100 Piezo tweeter
Fuj:tech 12v--24V laptop charger


Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Nice bass and plays loud, im pleased with it! Only downside is huge weight: 25.8kgs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 08:34 PM   #412
Buckapound is offline Buckapound  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Tasty!

I guess you won't be checking that as luggage on your next flight.

All it needs is some name in chrome script right in the middle of the front. Seriously, nice job.

--Buckapound
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 12:56 AM   #413
Saturnus is offline Saturnus  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Very impressive work. Hope it sound even half as good as it looks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 08:32 AM   #414
whelibob is offline whelibob  Finland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally posted by Saturnus
Very impressive work. Hope it sound even half as good as it looks.
Sound is quite ok, except the high notes that the piezos play. I might someday change the piezo for a normal tweeter or a better piezo. Any suggestions?
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 09:53 AM   #415
Saturnus is offline Saturnus  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by whelibob

Sound is quite ok, except the high notes that the piezos play. I might someday change the piezo for a normal tweeter or a better piezo. Any suggestions?
Sure. The Zomax HP100 piezos I use sounds very nice, in fact it sounds so good that I changed back to it after trying several lower cost horn tweeter options.

I hope you remembered a serial resistor though otherwise piezo basically always sound like crap. A 47 to 66 Ohm 3W carbon or metal film type is a good starting point. Never use wirewound power resistors with piezos. You shouldn't expect miracles from one of the cheapest and crappiest piezos ever produced (yours).

With the Zomax HP100 the optimum resistor value is 150 Ohms
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 10:13 AM   #416
whelibob is offline whelibob  Finland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally posted by Saturnus


Sure. The Zomax HP100 piezos I use sounds very nice, in fact it sounds so good that I changed back to it after trying several lower cost horn tweeter options.

I hope you remembered a serial resistor though otherwise piezo basically always sound like crap. A 47 to 66 Ohm 3W carbon or metal film type is a good starting point. Never use wirewound power resistors with piezos. You shouldn't expect miracles from one of the cheapest and crappiest piezos ever produced (yours).

With the Zomax HP100 the optimum resistor value is 150 Ohms
Yes i did use 100ohm resistors with the piezos. Tried to google zomax piezos but only shop i found was in new zealand. You know any retailer in europe?
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 10:16 AM   #417
Saturnus is offline Saturnus  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Yup. In Denmark

http://www.dlt.dk/products/productin...tid=5003&ucp=1

They're about Euro 10.50 each. Don't know if they send abroad though. Try e-mailing them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 10:47 AM   #418
whelibob is offline whelibob  Finland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally posted by Saturnus
Yup. In Denmark

http://www.dlt.dk/products/productin...tid=5003&ucp=1

They're about Euro 10.50 each. Don't know if they send abroad though. Try e-mailing them.
Allright thanks. Which of those measures is for the whole i need to cut for it? I guess its "hulmål"?

• Belastning 50V - 94dB (1W/1mtr.)
• Piezomembran 23 mm (diameter)
• Frontmål: 93 x 86 mm (BxH)
• Hulmål 75 x 65 mm (BxH)
• Dybde 66 mm
• Vægt 0,1 kg
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 10:57 AM   #419
Saturnus is offline Saturnus  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by whelibob

Allright thanks. Which of those measures is for the whole i need to cut for it? I guess its "hulmål"?

• Hulmål 75 x 65 mm (BxH)
Yup.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 04:50 PM   #420
Variac is offline Variac  Costa Rica
diyAudio Editor
 
Variac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: San Francisco, USA San José, Costa Rica
The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine
Quote:
I hope you remembered a serial resistor though otherwise piezo basically always sound like crap. A 47 to 66 Ohm 3W carbon or metal film type is a good starting point. Never use wirewound power resistors with piezos. You shouldn't expect miracles from one of the cheapest and crappiest piezos ever produced (yours). With the Zomax HP100 the optimum resistor value is 150 Ohms
SO you are saying "I hope you remembered a serial resistor though. Otherwise piezo basically always sound like crap. " right?

I could add some punctuation to your post if that is the case..
__________________
"The geek shall inherit the earth"
2017 Burning Amp is November 12 in S.F. Thread here on diyAudio:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs...francisco.html
  Reply With Quote

Reply


The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machineHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:01 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.79%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2017 diyAudio
Wiki