The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

I had a nice chat with our local CNC guy today and it looks like we can get 4 boominators from 3 sheets of Koskisen Colorfin (phenolic ply at $160 a sheet!).

Materials and CNC cutting will run $210 per Boominator in multiples of 4. Anyone interested? Shipping in the USA could be as much as $50 depending on final weight and where you live.

Hey aterren, I would also potentially be interested, depending on how much lead time we're looking at. In Oakland, CA here. I'll PM you as well.

I had a nice chat with our local CNC guy today and it looks like we can get 4 boominators from 3 sheets of Koskisen Colorfin (phenolic ply at $160 a sheet!).

Materials and CNC cutting will run $210 per Boominator in multiples of 4. Anyone interested? Shipping in the USA could be as much as $50 depending on final weight and where you live.

Couple more questions for you now, actually.

Will one of the tweeter options be the KSN-1001A piezo (rear-mount, just a 3 inch/76 mm hole)?

Can you explain a bit more how the panel inserts work?

Thank you very much, this is exciting and perfect timing for me.

Hi I have built my boominator about 2 years ago and no issues. I was wondering if there is any amp that can be installed that would be better than the Amp 9 that I have installed?
Is there anything that has come along that would "boost" the sound even further without damaging the speakers??

Update on USA CNC cutting:

We are now have 4 people. If we get 2 more commitments I can lower the price to $200 each. If anyone is on the fence because they don't have drivers or are concerned about building a cross over just shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help.

Micahbf - As discussed in PMs, I can have a set of front pannles made for the KSN-1001A tweeters. That isn't a problem at all. As for the inserts, the hole in the main panel is surrounded by a step. The insert has a corresponding step so they mate.

Maybe a 3d picture will help. The idea is to give a set of flexible access panels that can be customized by each builder. I am open to ideas on how to improve upon this idea. I should also note that there are two (2) 5mm holes in each center divider. These are for routing speaker wires into the center compartment. The unused one will need to be sealed. I plan to provide 5mm pins to for these holes and to align the ports.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi I have built my boominator about 2 years ago and no issues. I was wondering if there is any amp that can be installed that would be better than the Amp 9 that I have installed?
Is there anything that has come along that would "boost" the sound even further without damaging the speakers??

I'm not sure I can help with your question (I'm not familiar with the Amp 9) but it isn't clear to me what you mean by 'boost'. Are you looking for something louder or something that sounds better?

I love those center panels. So, everyone can configure their own way front and back. very nice.

Actually each kit will come with 3 inserts. The one shown above (blank), one with 2 cooling holes, and one with an inset section that will make it easier to mount jacks and switches.

Note, these quick drawings are not quite to scale but illustrate the approach.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and I was thinking that the DXF file would be worth @ $25-$50 to me if aterren wasn't making flat packs and I had to go local for wood and cutting...

LOL

:)

the second drawing of the inserts makes it clear that the three panels provide even more utility than I initially thought.

Routing out the back makes it really easy to add your jacks and such in any configuration you want.

Last edited:
Steveeboy- I should take you up on that. It would be $25 to $50 more than I am going to make on the flat packs when all is said and done. :). It is very much a gift to the community.

Ancalagon - You seem new here. Where are you located and when are you planning your build?

Last edited:
Share the love aterren....I don't see Saturnus making any money out of all this.

I was trying to be subtle in stating "very much a gift to the community". If I were being more direct I would state I am not going to make *any* money on this. In fact, I will lose $20 for each flat pack because we don't have enough people to use the material efficiently. This is completely fine with me.

So, folks step right up and buy some more flat packs!

Ron, I think the AMP9 is rated for 24v. What voltage are you running? At 24v this is about as much power as people seem to use and I don't hear much complaint about volume (in fact most people say the Boominator is surprisingly loud, to the point where it is uncomfortable to stand close to it when running 12v).

Are you confident the amp is working correctly? The most common amp for use now is the MaxAmp20 available at Home - Maxamp 12V Versterker. It is not as powerful as the Amp9 so it isn't going to address your loudness issue.