The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Time for the crossovers. This was a lot of fun, since i love electronics and soldering :) I think it ended up great

xECCmVc.jpg

Just as a side note: It is best practice to mount Inductors at 90° to each other, so that the magnetic fields don't interfere with each other and change their values.
In this sort of low power situation it probably doesn't make any audible difference, but I still wouldn't mount them in parallel.

And maybe reinforce them with cable ties, hot glue, especially from a cheap gun, is very likely to fail (experience :eek:)

Last edited:
Question for Saturnus....

You said in an earlier post that the Signature was no longer possible to build because P.Audio no longer make the SN-10MB Series II which is a shame, I would have like to built one...
Are the Eminence Basslite S2010s much better than the HP10W or just lighter.... I want to build the best boominator possible using the Camp when its ready so I'm just getting my parts list together......

Thanks

BJ

You said in an earlier post that the Signature was no longer possible to build because P.Audio no longer make the SN-10MB Series II

<snip...>

I want to build the best boominator possible using the Camp

Clearly I am not Saturnus. That said, a USA base company added Signature drivers to their order and I should have them in a few weeks. So, it might be possible to get them if you are willing to wait and have a cooperative supplier.

Also, the cAMP is 2 channel, not 4 so it will not be suitable for a signature.

Someone else will need to comment on the sound quality if the Baslite drivers. .

Last edited:
I should point out that while a 4 channel amp with a programmable DSP gives you more precision and tweakability of the crossover point, it also means you have twice as many amp channels with twice as much idle current - so the system won't be as electrically efficient as one with a passive crossover. Especially at low listening volumes.

That being said, we're planning on putting out a 4ch cAMP - it sounds like there's enough interest to make the design/manufacturing effort worthwhile. The plan is for the cAMP to be a line of products, not just a single amp design.

Hi guys, I'm very excited about my Mini V2 build! I have everything ready but just need to wait for the funds to buy my lipo4 battery and charger, then comes the case! Messing around with what I have I was wondering - How would I go about adding a basic EQ to the setup? Just a low, mid and high adjustment would be great.

Yes, that could be the case. I believe there are efficiency gains in having 1 amp handle base and a separate handle high end.

We will need some real data I suppose. :)

Regardless I'd still take the trade. I don't do festivals, can go a couple of weeks normal use between charges, and normally have a 2kW portable generator with me so I can charge any time.

For what it's worth...
My Boominator started out with Piezos, then I upgraded to PHTs with a passive x-over and now I'm running a DSP and Maxamps.
There is no doubt in my mind that my Boominator sounds best with the DSP configuration.
Louder, clearer and punchier.
I'll take the hit on Battery life for the better quality sound!!

The TPA3118 I'm using on the cAMP draws 28mA idle at 12V, with the chip enabled but muted. This is the lowest selectable switching frequency and 1SPW output mode. Two chips double that to 56mA.

Though, that 28mA number is measured on a single IC and may be higher/lower on average across multiple chips.

For what it's worth...
... then I upgraded to PHTs with a passive x-over and now I'm running a DSP and Maxamps.
There is no doubt in my mind that my Boominator sounds best with the DSP configuration.
Louder, clearer and punchier.
I'll take the hit on Battery life for the better quality sound!!

Explanation? Are you running any compressor/loudness on the DSP? Otherwise i wont agree.