The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Is the DC/DC converter a good substitute for a solar controller? I suppose it won't work without the PCM because of overcharging?

I think if you find a small enough solar charger it will be the best. With a dc CV float charge regulated to 14,4 volt i think you could do without a PCM. I don't know to much about batteries charging but there is a very good informational video from EVTV here about CV/CC Lifepo4 charging basics here:

EVTV Motor Verks | Electric Car Conversion Videos

Edit I think you should not let it go much over 3.65 volt per cell 14,6 when charging, Cells will float around 3,40 volt per cell 13,6 volt when fully charged. Anyone with experience and knowledge about CV float charging please speak out:)

Last edited:
So recently I have completed my mini (the original one with Aura ns6) and have a few questions on it. I have completely charged the battery and its reads 12.2 volts but when I turn it up like past 3/4 of the way on my phone it begins to skip and crackle.Plus the voltmeter quickly drops the reading into 11's but then stays there for a long time while playing. I am using the MaxAmp 20.

Also is there a way to get rid of the pop noise I get when I plug the 3.5mm jack in into my phone, or like when I plug it into my laptop is just makes a buzz noise behind the music.

Lastly is it safe to charge it and play it at the same time? The battery is a 12v 7Ah and the charger is 12v 750mA if that helps at all.
Thanks everyone!

Hi :)

I've been lurking around this thread and have read loads (this really is a loong thread ;) ) about the Boominator. However I don't think I'm fit to build one without a more visual guide or something easier for a noob to understand. So what I was wondering was, if anyone has put together an easy-to-understand guide, or if perhaps someone has got the Boominator Håndbog from canopysound.dk in pdf, and could upload it somewhere?

Last edited by a moderator:

I've been lurking around this thread and have read loads (this really is a loong thread ;) ) about the Boominator. However I don't think I'm fit to build one without a more visual guide or something easier for a noob to understand. So what I was wondering was, if anyone has put together an easy-to-understand guide, or if perhaps someone has got the Boominator Håndbog from canopysound.dk in pdf, and could upload it somewhere?

Encouraging or asking people to share a copyrighted material is extremely poor form, Sir.

My design as is presented in this thread is open source for non-commercial and educational use. The guide from Canopy Sound is their own interpretation of this and is not open source.

Don't be an idiot and commit copyright infringement because you don't want to support 2 young entrepreneurs. Send them an email and ask to buy it instead of being a d***head.

So recently I have completed my mini (the original one with Aura ns6) and have a few questions on it. I have completely charged the battery and its reads 12.2 volts but when I turn it up like past 3/4 of the way on my phone it begins to skip and crackle.Plus the voltmeter quickly drops the reading into 11's but then stays there for a long time while playing. I am using the MaxAmp 20.

Also is there a way to get rid of the pop noise I get when I plug the 3.5mm jack in into my phone, or like when I plug it into my laptop is just makes a buzz noise behind the music.

Lastly is it safe to charge it and play it at the same time? The battery is a 12v 7Ah and the charger is 12v 750mA if that helps at all.
Thanks everyone!
If your battery's dropping to 11.x volts under a "maxamp sized" load, it's no good. Get another one.

Also, snap/crackle when you're turning the phone up means that the amp's clipping - you can't get any more power out of the amp. Turn it back down.

we couldn't even get hp10ws here in US. we had to do a special order from Thailand and our parts won't get here til end of July! I was going to cobble together the rest of the boominator (amp, batteries, charger, and 12v outlet for phone charging) in a .50 ammo box and just run some normal book shelf speakers off it for camping to test it all in the meantime.

I'm very sorry everyone. It's all been a senior moment from my side.

The thing is that I'm already in contact with canopysound and have been all week. Yesterday the Boominator package came in stock again, but just as I tried to order it, it was sold out again. I've emailed them and it's going back in stock again in a week and I'll just buy it there. So I am already buying it from them, partly because no other place has the items in stock and ship to Denmark but mainly because I won't be able to do it without the manual.
Therefore I simply didn't think of it as copyright infringement when I asked if someone had it. I know I should have and I'm sorry I didn't.

What I'm mostly concerned about is the whole soldering process and that's also the thing I mostly wanted to have a look at in the manual. Really all I wanted it for, was to see if I could prepare anything so I could get faster to work when the package does arrive. I can't wait to get to work, since I hoped to have the package by the end of this week ;)

Again, I'm sorry I stepped on some people's toes, and to Mooly I'm sorry I broke the rules. I didn't think sh*tload would count as a bad word since it was used as something positive. That was my bad :)

On a side note; to you people in Sweden, I found that Hifikit.se has got the HP10W's in stock. It's the only place I could find that had them in stock, but they don't ship to Denmark. I think perhabs, that they ship to Germany too, but I'm not entirely sure.
Naw man, I've called the shop and emailed with some guy and they get the HP-10Ws from ljudia, which as you might know won't get them before 29th july (preliminary date).