The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

resurrected my login for here with the intention of building Saturnus's latest creation, I have a stash of nd16fa and sp60's so looking forward to learning loads in the process. I learned an awful lot during the build of my "original" mini

upload_zps64a2dd59.jpg

I must stress before you start building that the 26mm electronics compartment is a very tight space. It only fits 4x 26650 LFP cells, a BMS, a BT 4.0 module (where the RCA plugs are removed) and a maxamp20. And just barely. So plan out if you need it to be wider.

You can also make the whole baffle in 12mm if you like. I needed the extra few mm to fit the 26650 cells (26mm diameter, 65mm length. 2x2 4S pack is 26x52x130mm). And you can fit the speaker cloth between the 2 6mm pieces for an aesthetic look. Or you can wrap speaker over the entire front (also covering venting holes).

Venting holes and access is up for your own imagination but you need at least some ventilation.

Contrary to the Boominator, the fronts are smaller, and so are "wrapped" by the top/bottom and ends. A retro style speaker cloth and using darkened lacquer on the plywood would give a real retro look to it.But that's only one possibility. You could also use fan grills 4x35mm and 4x120mm for a more modern look.

As always. If you need extra space for electronics. You don't touch the speaker compartments, just make it equally longer.

Last edited:
@jkbam, Hi there I am UK too, If you are referring to the mini design the monacor drivers are readily available on ebay. Not sure about the full size drivers. I have the monacor drivers in my current boombox incarnation, at the time ebay was the cheapest as most places that deliver to the UK have limited selection or high postage.

Now I am very interested, I love the Boominator, its just always been too big for me. Its not too big for what it is, I know it punches above its weight, but too big for what I want.

The new mini does scale things down a lot. If I build I will be torn between doing a full V2 mini or a half V2 mini. what are the expected final weights? (excluding amp and battery)

If I build a half I guess it would make sense to go for 4ohm speakers to get more from the amp with only 12V headroom. any reason not to? only reasons I can think are -cant then use for if I upgrade to a full system

If you're building a mini, you'll need 8 ohm woofers, as you connect two in parallel for each channel. Using 4 ohm, the resulting load would be 2 ohm, overloading the amp.

Oh wait, you were talking about the half mini. Yep, 4 ohm is the way to go in that case, only downside indeed is that they are unusable for a upgrade to full size.

If you're building a mini, you'll need 8 ohm woofers, as you connect two in parallel for each channel. Using 4 ohm, the resulting load would be 2 ohm, overloading the amp.

I,ve got 4 sp/60 4 ohm, and was thinking I'd be able to use them wired in series. Is that just not going to work?
Is there a different amp I can use?
Other options apart from bi mapping?

Thx

Is there a full plan for this yet? I've seen some dimensions but no details about filters/battery etc.

Good work Saturnus, I'm sure it'll sound great and be hugely popular.

Not yet, but the middle compartment is designed to be used with 26650 LiFePo cells. With the sketchup design you will be able to fit 4 cells for a 4S configuration.

Wesley, can you provide some idea of the shipping cost to N. America. Say for a Maxamp and the Monacors, to K1B 3B5 in Ottawa, Canada.
Thanks!

I have added the set to the shop, in your cart you'll be able to select your country, to calculate the shipping costs. Also keep in mind that the VAT will disappear for customers outside the US after logging in. Will add more product information later on :).

Last edited:
Not yet, but the middle compartment is designed to be used with 26650 LiFePo cells. With the sketchup design you will be able to fit 4 cells for a 4S configuration.

I have added the set to the shop, in your cart you'll be able to select your country, to calculate the shipping costs. Also keep in mind that the VAT will disappear for customers outside the US after logging in. Will add more product information later on :).

I've been waiting for parts for a similar project as the Boominator mini from Europe-audio since october, apparently they've been unable to get sp-60/8 to stock. It's now even not shown on their website anymore. The real problem I've with Europe-audio is that I have had a lot of trouble getting in contact with them, calling on the phone for several weeks and sending multiple emails. Finally last week, day or so after making a complaint through ECC, got a reply for a request for my banking info to refund my order. Refund hasn't happened yet tho, but it's better than no contact at all.

Looking for a bright side in all of that. Now I can attempt to build this Boominator mini and I don't have to figure out as much on my own. Ordered the kit from Accusafe and I really hope that I'll have a better experience with them than I did with Europe-Audio.

My first post here, have been reading this thread for more than a year already though and I've found a lot of useful information for other boombox projects I've tried my skills on. So thanks for that.

Maybe add a Boominator Micro set also? And maybe mention the cap for the woofer is not included.

I'm getting my lasercutting files for the Micro ready, when I have them ready I'll share them.

Yep, haven't made pictures of the micro "set" so haven't added that one yet. Will probably do this tonight. Yep, will also add a little note about the bass capacitor, as we don't know the value yet. (probably something like 680µF, but I'm not sure)

Lasercutting the enclosure is pretty smart, cheap and very easy to assemble if done right :). Nice!