The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

They'll be more or less the same. The closed version will have higher cone excursions but not more than the driver can handle.

The theory is that a BR tuning have a theoretical bass boost of 100% (double the output) while a capacitor resonated closed box tuning have a theoretical 44% bass boost. However, in actual numbers the potential bass boost of a BR tuning is around 73% at best and effectiveness drops as drivers and cabinets are smaller. The CRCB tuning on the other hand remains equally effective at around the theoretical potential. It's in principle if designed correctly only limited by the ESR of the series capacitor and how air tight the box is but even the latter will only marginally impact potential if it is incorporated in the calculation of the series capacitor.

So why chose a CRCB tuning? Well, as said above it's not much less effective than a BR tuning in very small boxes. And at the same time the capacitor also attenuates the output in the sense that it has a boost at the resonance followed by a dip of half the boost at roughly 3 times the resonance which is excellent as that is where we have a peak from the closed box tuning. So it will have an almost completely flat response to about 90hz. And it allows for a box that it half the volume.

Q is at the same time lower so it will be more suited for dual purpose, indoor and outdoors, as it will not exhibit a too flabby bass indoors, and neither lack bass fullness outdoors.

Last edited:
Just to clear things up. The above sketchup is for the MINI with 4x monacor sp60/8 and 4x dayton nd16fa. The MICRO is the same drawing. Just only take one side just like a halfinator. In that case you use 2x monacor sp60/4 and 2x dayton nd16fa. Filters are the same or different depending on how you chose to connect it but more details on that to follow.

Thanks for the fast reply. Have you done actual measurements or listening tests? Seeing this thread: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?39990-Capacitor-loading-a-woofer-in-a-small-box, the bass extension doesn't seem to be that large.

If I plot both in WinISD then the ported version has an f0 of 110Hz and the sealed version has an f0 of 160Hz. You think that with a simple cap we can gain 70Hz in bass response? Seeing the results in the linked thread, that seems difficult to achieve don't you agree? I hope I am wrong because then I can make my next boombox even smaller!

Edit: regarding the mini/micro, I got that. Personally I will be making a boombox with 2 woofers, so the micro. I just have to choose between sealed/cap and ported.

Last edited:
You're forgetting the acoustically filtered response from the opposite mounted driver.

EDIT: Besides, I got totally different numbers. f-3 at 109hz before cap is added. Undersized cap and bipolar response addition, f-3 at 89hz. 20hz deeper and all that is needed.

Last edited:
I'm using the actual effective volume, 3.3L, when stuffing is considered. Also you might be calculating the volume of the drivers wrong due to them only being placeholders to show the outer dimension, not how much the drivers actually take up in volume. Also, have you considered the volume of the holes (it's 0.1L)?

Last edited:

Attachments

• Boominator MINI V2 Dimensions sm.jpg
    Boominator MINI V2 Dimensions sm.jpg
    672.4 KB · Views: 956
  • Boominator MINI V2 Dimensions.jpg
    Boominator MINI V2 Dimensions.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 637
I've looked before and couldn't find anywhere to get the Monacor drivers in the USA or Canada.
Somewhere (perhaps in this thread?) it appeared that Maxamp was going to start carrying the drivers for the new Mini, so might be able to get their amp and drivers at the same time.
Otherwise we should encourage PE, Solen, Meniscus, Madisound or someone to carry the Monacor. Tweets are available from PE and Solen...