The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

No. All dimensions are critical for proper function. Use your solar panel as an external panel instead.

I'd rather find a different solar panel then, since it sort of defeats the purpose of simplicity and portability to have an external panel in my opinion.

EDIT, actually, the reason I think it's too wide is because i asked the seller on ebay and he told me it was 322mm wide, but I'm assuming that's including the aluminium casing around it, because it looks identical to the one on canopysound.dk, and they specify it as 298mm wide, do you reckon i should order it and feel lucky?

Last edited:
You can write the reseller for exact dimension but generally raw solar panels are 12" wide (30.5mm) unfortunately.

Well 0.5mm is hardly noticable after it's been glued to the top is it, 0.25mm on each side?

- Oh sorry, i see that you meant cm, but still it's 2.4mm on each side, it's enough to notice if you look closely, but otherwise i reckon it wont matter too much.

I checked with the seller again, and the panel is 17mm too wide even without the casing, but I'll probably just add to the width of the top, bottom and end panels while keeping the speaker panels in place.

I have one last (hopefully) question though.
Seeing as i completely fried my old SLA batteries, I would really like to know how to maintain them properly before buying a new one.
How powerful should the charger be? I found one which has 600mA, which seems like barely anything to me, and also, if the charger has built in overcharge protection, will it be alright to just leave it on while the battery is connected to the speakers? I read somewhere that SLA batteries need to be topped off every few months, and since the box will be in my room most of the time, I figured that keeping it in the charger, thus continously topping off the battery will be alright?

Saturnus, how will the micro perform compared to the usual 7.2 liter ported SP60 design?

Saturnus, would you be able to answer this question? I'm designing a vented cabinet for two SP60's at the moment and the micro has my attention. :)

I read something about using capacitors to flatten the bass peak that forms when using drivers in a cabinet that's too small. From what I can tell this seems to work and adds a little bit of bass extension but not much. I assume the larger vented version will still offer better bass performance. Can you comment on this? There has to be a trade-off somewhere.:D

Hi all. i just bought this mono VU meter as a self assemble kit. it has 12 LEDs and looks pretty promising. but, what i would do is to extend the LED's wire and put them in 12 pieces of plexiglass so the effect would get like the "malen" boominator over at popdevelop.com only difference is that i would do this in a smaller scale to a mini boominator. but would one LED per plexiglass piece be sufficient, or would i have to add 2 LED's per plexiglass? and if so, would that even be possible, as i see that it can draw a maximum of 120 mA. thoughts on this would be very much appreciated!

http ://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mono-LED-indicator-VU-meter-12x-3mm-LEDs-Sound-Meter-Assembling-Kit-Circuit-/261386101886?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Copy paste link, and remove space between "http" and ":"

Last edited:
Just finished my Bluetooth Boominator

Yea yippi, thanks Saturnus, and my friends at POGO Snowboards !

I just finished my Boominator and it sounds amazing. I have been using it for 2 weeks and have not yet charged my batteries:)

I used 2x 9 Ah LiFePo4 and a solar charger. Bluetooth is very nice.

Here is some more pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/108864066@N07/

Thanks again everybody i am hooked, just love this machine :)

Attachments

• Bluetooth Boominator.jpg
    Bluetooth Boominator.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 459
  • Bluetooth Boominator Backside.jpg
    Bluetooth Boominator Backside.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 419
@I guess we'll have to wait for a week or so, as that's probably how long it'll take to fully use a charge :p

It's progressing slowly, slow but steady :D. That's how all my projects usually progress. I'm currently waiting for my furniture maker to finish the panels. He had some bad luck recently (first the pneumatic system of his CNC mill failed, and now last week the air compressor failed) so that delays the whole project at the moment. All electronics are delivered and tested and I have laser cut and cnc folded aluminum panels on the way to house all the electronics in the middle console. Small preview:
elektronicamodule_nearfinal_zpsa5fc5757.jpg

The initial deadline was to have the Boominator ready by the end of March, but I'm afraid I will have to postpone that deadline a bit to the end of April. Can't wait to hear how it performs.

Last edited:
Monacor sp60/4 (sp60/8). Same tweeters, ie. dayton nd16fa. I'll have the new design ready before my birthday (which is next weekend).

I will be posting it here though as sadly Speakerplans.com have somehow managed to mess up my account so I can't login, and all attempts to contact the forum admin or moderators have failed as all contact e-mail addresses and other contact information are invalid, or doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Great news! Are there any other parts needed except for the filter capacitor? If not, I should have all parts. I already have some SP60/4 and SP60/8 on the way, since I became a Monacor dealer since last week. Same for the tweeters. So i'll build one right away! Can't wait.

Last edited:
I know the boominator mini design thread is over on speaker design forum. But does anyone have any idea what drivers I can buy now for the mini? It was the aurasound ns6 then the ns525's, but neither of these are available anymore :-(

They have the ns525's over on Canopysound.dk, although they only ship to denmark, norway, finland and sweden. i don't know if there are options like shopusa.com from denmark.