The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Testing testing

A Olfa knife, a screwdriver, some tape, a cardboard box and an hour of work was all i needed to get some testing done.

I wanted to test wiring, bluetooth, minidsp etc before i decide final design. It turned out great. Good to have some time to test different design concepts before i start building ;)

I already found out that minidsp runs better on 12v (no pop noise) than through a 12v to 5v isolated converter (bad pop noise on shutdown). I get to experiment with gain structure on maxamps, bluetooth, minidsp and so forth.

So far so good, i have a feeling its gone be LOUD!! With maxamp gain high and KRC bluetooth gain its already plenty loud inside my living room.

NB! Tested with high gain maxamp, bluetooth with a little bit internal gain, volume on Spotify on full, and volume on MAC-air next to minimal (half a dot enabled with shift alt - vol) hehe...

I attenuated the output gain on tweeters -12 db in Minidsp on this test. Note there is a little bit to much background noise with this hi gain setting and it was only done to test how loud it can play on low volume on my mac:eek:

A very good post on minidsp gain setting here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/minidsp/230470-signal-level-minidsp-x-over-5.html

I gone be a happy camper next summer :)

goo

Attachments

• carton boominator.jpg
    carton boominator.jpg
    1,000.1 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
Hi there folks, after a long break from building, i finally have the time and money to continue... the only problem being, now i have found the 41hz forum to be down, alas, my building has been halted again due to the lack of instructions for completing my amp6.

If anyone has these saved to their computer, i would be most grateful.

Blessings to all for the new year !! :)

aarrgg, I cant find the AMP 6 build instructions, they may be on my computer at work, I'll have a look on Monday...

here is the filter diagram that you PM'd me about and a photo of the board that I mounted the said filter on...... the paralleled resistors increased the volume of the tweeters a little, it was to my liking, I like my top end and it wasn't too much to be fatiguing.....

*BJ*

Attachments

• IMG_0936.JPG
    IMG_0936.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 274
More testing with the cardboard box boominater

Now i have been playing with gain structure, and minidsp advanced 4 way crossover a few hours and found a pretty nice setup.

I love the flexibility of the minidsp and i am very happy with the maxamps.

I have lowered the gain of the maxamp running the tweeters by soldering the gain points on the PCB, and attenuated the input gain in the minidsp -20db.

I cross the woofers at 3300 with LR 12db/oct filter, and 45 with LR 12db/oct filter.
I cross the tweeters at 20000 with LR 12db/oct filter, and 1500 with LR 12db/oct filter.

I compensate woofer drop of a little with the Parametric EQ after the input, and at the crossover point with the Parametric EQ at the Output channels.

I also attenuated the output gain on the tweeters -6db, and now the hiss from bluetooth is almost gone, overall gain is still good (i can play loud and clear).

The RMS meters are green all the way up and hover around -36db on the woofers and -50 on the tweeters while playing pretty loud inside my living room (using bluetooth, Spotify on full volume and macair volume on 6 dots)

I really look forward to building now, i am happy i went for 2 maxamps and a minidsp. I think it will be a super setup, and i just love the tuning flexibility it gives me :)

Any tips on gain, EQ and crossover settings in the mini are most welcome. Keep in mind that my test setup is not ideal !

The speaker compartment are to big, ca 44x32x34 cm

Goo

Last edited:
The speaker compartment are to big, ca 44x32x34 cm

Don't kid yourself. A cardboard mock up is not a speaker compartment. No need to try to set the miniDSP at all in that box.

I cross the woofers at 3300 with LR 12db/oct filter, and 45 with LR 12db/oct filter.
I cross the tweeters at 20000 with LR 12db/oct filter, and 1500 with LR 12db/oct filter.

Please follow the advice earlier in this thread. Those settings are way off. You risk burning off your tweeter and generally you'll not have anywhere near the sound quality that is possible with those settings.

Don't kid yourself. A cardboard mock up is not a speaker compartment. No need to try to set the miniDSP at all in that box.

Please follow the advice earlier in this thread. Those settings are way off. You risk burning off your tweeter and generally you'll not have anywhere near the sound quality that is possible with those settings.

Ok, sorry i don't mean to offend you with my cardboard box mock up. Its clear i don't know what i am doing here. I will be more careful. It was fun to try anyway.

Not meant that way just that it's ok to check size and that everything works in a mock up box but every parameter will be very different when in the real box, so not much use spending too much time on the miniDSP settings except to familiarize yourself with the controls.

Yes, thanks for your input, i agree. Filtering was done just to get familiar with using the mini and see how it affects stuff.

However i found some 2 way filter recommendations on page 333. Is this the ones you recommend:

Try with LP 1800hz, HP 2600Hz, filter type L-R and tweeter dampened by 4dB.
and remember to invert the tweeters ;

If so i will try those settings when i build the real thing.

Thanks goo

I have read through about 90% of the whole thread (skimmed some parts, and read some over 10 times) but i dont seem to find anything on this bass driver,
FaitalPRO 10FE200 10" Professional Woofer 4 Ohm | 294-1200

I remember in the start of the thread that Saturnus envied a guy who got a HP10-W that was 4 ohm (if im not wrong) and therefor hoped that i might have hit gold right here.

the sensitivity rating is at 96 dB
Frequency response from 50 (dont believe) to 4500 which seems to be where the Piezos take over.

Could anyone help me?