The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

What amp are you using? Class D amp can something cause problems for radio reception close to the amp if it's not in metal case (basically a Faraday cage).

Is that simple?! I feel so silly for not trying that! I will have to give it a go tomorrow as I think spinning up a sound system at 11pm on a school night might not be a good thing in my apartment :rolleyes:

I have some Helder Hifi boards in my older sound system but have a set of 41hz boards for my boominator.

New mkiii Tripath TA2020 PCB 25Watt Class T Amplifier | eBay

Should I ground that metal case to the negative terminal of its SLA?

I hope this is the solution as it would be simple and have me up and running by the end of tomorrow !

Thanks a bunch!

Received my 3D printed parts from Shapeways today, much quicker than expected, nice!

IMG_0780Medium_zpsb6fef053.jpg

IMG_0782Medium_zps25cdd3c6.jpg

I ordered a small frame to which I can mount all the electronics easily. Also, all signal wires can be as short as possible with this setup. Eventually this nylon frame will be mounted to a aluminum plate.

IMG_0782Medium_zps25cdd3c6.jpg

Also ordered professional printed parts of my 18650 li-ion holder

Interesting. He does mention that he got inspired by sound systems he saw at Roskilde Festival in 2007 (the first year I had my Boominator there and when I published this thread) and 2008. And I do remember talking with him in 2008. At least I think it was him without being absolutely sure.

Problem is that there were practically no other sound systems he could have been inspired by except this one present at the festival at that time that shares so many of the same solutions to some of the engineering problems though his solution contain one crucial and absolutely vital flaw: it is not bipolar.

Hey guys,

So a year ago just after constructing my Boominator, I noticed that one whole channel's drivers weren't producing any bass. I finally bit the bullet and jigsawed off the bottom and top lid for that channel. Verdict:

All wiring was correct
No resistors before drivers
Cones fully seized

= Cooked voice coils.

Does anyone know how I could have done this to them while assembling the boominator for the first time? I can't think how they would have burned out? Unless I wired out of phase when testing and they worked too hard at the beginning, or I connected to the 12vDC somehow - but even then, I'm sure I didn't.

Two faulty drivers from the factory is almost inconceivable too.

Please let me know your thoughts. I have ordered two more drivers and am installing them on Monday - just in time for my Boomie's second NYE party! This time with FULL BASS, I can't even imagine!

tom

Last edited:
When you mentioned the problem the first time I was at a loss of ideas for what might have happened. And frankly, I still am. Even if you had a faulty driver that burned off which can happen. It's very rare but it does happen that factory QC fails. But even then having one faulty driver would actually either protect the other driver in the same side or at least not make more likely for the other driver to also cook.

If anyone else has a good idea for a scenario that allows it to happen, ie. cook both drivers in one side only, I'd be very happy to hear those suggestions.

F8A38CC1-FEA7-4B4F-8E2B-A409E8EB53EA_zpseb8rzd7l.jpg

As you can see, these are quite a bit larger than the HP10W woofers. A large neodymium permanent magnet is used to drive the large 3" voice coil. Also, the design also incorporates large cooling fins around the magnet as these woofers are rated for 600W rms. Aluminum might be 3 times lighter than steel, but they used a lot of it in this woofer :)

miniDSP miniAMP stack and P.audio PHT-410

Hi i just finished a boominator mini version made from a pair of recycled floor standers. Its been a great experience, and the learning curve have been step.

For my next built i will attempt to build a boominator, with miniDSP and 2 maxamps, or miniDSP and miniAMP stacked.

Have anyone tried the miniDSP and miniAMP stack?

I will use a 12v 18a lead acid deep cycle battery and keep it relatively simple with On/Off, cigarette socket, analog voltmeter, and bluetooth.

I have ordered P.audio HP-10W and P.audio PHT-410 from Ljudia (They don't have the P.audio PHT-407n)

But i am afraid the P.audio PHT-410 is to wide and deep, and may cause increased diffraction and airflow problem in the port/handle area. How do i work around this potential problem?

I was thinking of mounting the P.audio PHT-410 from the inside, but might have to mount it from the outside and maybe move it higher up to get it away from the handle port area.

Any suggestions?

Thanks goo

Attachments

• Recycled floor stander boombox.jpg
    Recycled floor stander boombox.jpg
    1,014.5 KB · Views: 231
Last edited: