The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Hi Everyone, thanks for all the info.

Wesleyk. What is the board on the left of the photo? The middle one is the crossover yes? and the two on the end are the amps? What does the first one do?

I'm still trying to decide which to start with... I really love what I've read about the Boominator, but the size may be a lot more than I need... I was thinking of something along the size of this

thodio exclusive audio products

But I know the sound will suffer. Ahh decisions...

Wesleyk. What is the board on the left of the photo? The middle one is the crossover yes? and the two on the end are the amps? What does the first one do?

I'm still trying to decide which to start with... I really love what I've read about the Boominator, but the size may be a lot more than I need... I was thinking of something along the size of this

It's a Sure Bluetooth Audio module.

I made a Boominator MINI design (read the full thread for driver updates) Boominator MINI (development thread) - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1

Or there's always the option to build half a Boominator, aka a Halfinator.

Yep as Saturnus already pointed out it's a Sure bluetooth module. It's bluetooth 4.0 (with APT-X) so the sound quality is pretty decent.

The PCB in the middle is indeed a crossover, a mini dsp 2x4, to be used with PHT-407N tweeters.

The two PCBs on the right are the amplifiers, because of the mini dsp you will need 4 channels instead of 2, so two stereo amps are used.

---

I just heared that I might... be able to get my hands on 4 SN-10MB woofers as used in the Signature Boominator :cool:

Yep as Saturnus already pointed out it's a Sure bluetooth module. It's bluetooth 4.0 (with APT-X) so the sound quality is pretty decent.

The PCB in the middle is indeed a crossover, a mini dsp 2x4, to be used with PHT-407N tweeters.

The two PCBs on the right are the amplifiers, because of the mini dsp you will need 4 channels instead of 2, so two stereo amps are used.

---

I just heared that I might... be able to get my hands on 4 SN-10MB woofers as used in the Signature Boominator :cool:

If you can get one extra for spare ;) I had one gone bad. P.Audio had to make me one more.

I can definitely ask them, I'll let you know when I know more.

How do you like your signature Boominator?
I can't describe it. It's far over all expactations. I have only one problem: I bought Lifepo4 battery and charger on Aliexpress.Charger destroyed BMS and i can't get Company to send me New even when they promissed after 50 to 100 Messages. And i regrett not to have Speaker grills in it.
I use it in Volleyball tournaments and matches. Big risk.

Hey Saturnus, what made you switch over to recommending the Maxamp?

Several things really.

When the TA2020 (and TA2021/TA2024) came out nearly 14 years ago they were truly revolutionary, offering for the first time a chip that DIY'ers could use to make a small highly efficient class D amp with a staggeringly good sound quality for very little money. It was such a good design that it took other chip designers over 10 years to catch up, and in the last year or 2 chips have finally started coming out that offers even better sound quality and even better efficiency for a comparable cost. And as we know, Tripath went bankrupt in 2007, so no new designs is coming from that direction, and it also appears Cirrus Logic who bought the intellectual property of Tripath have no interest in making class D amp chips using the acquired knowledge for whatever reason.

So in the light that new chips have emerged that are better and in the maxamp case is a finished board, so you don't have to mess around with trying to solder SMD parts (unless you want to add higher order input filtering or peak limiter to the board), for a competitive price that offers better sound quality, better efficiency, extensive speaker protection, and pop sensing, I think it is fair to say that while the Tripath TA202x series have served the DIY community well, it's time to say: The King is dead, long live the King.

What is the best crossover setup if I use the maxamp and the hp-10w and piezo tweeters?
Theres is a lot of crap around, so if saturnus or somebody could straighten it out for me, it would be great!

None. Just remember the 47 ohm 2-3W series resistor on each piezo. Do not use wire-wound power resistors, use carbon composition or alternatively metal film resistors.

Can I use a buck/boost converter as charge controller/regulator for my solar panel to li-ion 3-cell-series?
EG:
I would like to use 3s li-ion battery packs (11.1-12.6v) for my boomer. But a MPPT charge controller is fairly expensive. So I thought that, by setting the output voltage on the regulator to fx. 12.5 (0,1volt less then the advisable peak voltage on 3s lipos), i'd avoid stressing the batteries. That makes sure that the battery will never get more the 12,5v pushed, even when the amp is turned off and the batteries is "fully" charged.
Or is it a bad idea compared to health of the batteries, energy consumption or something third? Explain please!!!

I have an upcoming performance I am developing that needs a bunch of mobile sound sources that are moved by dancers and would like an excuse to build a bunch of active speakers! I have one sort-of-nator (some of the same build concepts but made with local drivers and changed to suit skateboard mounting) and the parts for my first real boominator waiting for boxes. Shipping was a killer to get the Paudio speakers to nz but by the looks well worth it.

Before I start the second box build I would like to prove the FM transmitter idea will work

I hope to get a clear broadcast to around 200-300m (large outdoor performance) and need it to also run well from 12v SLA. I am happy to build a tested circuit but for in hopes it will work I grabbed some cheap parts off ebay....

CZE 05B 0 5W Stereo PLL FM Radio Broadcast Station Transmitter Antenna Power | eBay

9 Band FM/MW/SW Pocket Radio - Jaycar Electronics

The fm transmitter is hooked up to Boominator #1 battery transmitting the split line out (using cheap head phone splitter) from the Ipod dock.

I then walked about 30-50m making sure to hear a clear broadcast from the radios built in speaker . The transmitter seems to be working well both over the built in speaker and my headphones. At this spot the second set of speakers was setup and hooked up to the headphone jack of the radio.

At this point I was feeling rather smug that it all was just working to plan.... Then came the static...

When the radio is playing into my amp it picks up static, swap back to the headphones or build in speaker and its fine. The static is better if I am touching the radio than setting it up high.

Could some one suggest the next thing to try is as I feel that with these parts I should be able to get it to work.

I have opened the cover and found the main chip is a cd1691cb but I am struggling to find any English data sheets... not that I can really make out that if I had the data sheet I could make it work as to be honest I am above my head guys and need some help!