The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

The surface mount components are, IIRC, quite easy to do.

My approach was to apply solder to one of the pads (this is for the power diodes underneath), sit the component on the pad, heat the pad so the solder melts, wait for that to solidify and then solder the other end down.

Don't tin both pads, or it'll never sit flat to the board.

HTH
Chris

Thanks, I'm working over the next few nights but as soon as I have spare time I'll have a go.... I'll check components in the meantime and post photos if I'm not sure of anything......
BJ

Volume variation

Hands down my Boominator is now one of my favourite things!!!
I'm getting alot of variation in playback volume that I'd like to understand more though.
I'm using one of these Amplifiers (pics below) at the moment until I can get my hands on an Amp6.

MKIII Tripath TA2020 PCB 25watt Class-T amplifier UK | eBay

(41Hz...if you're reading, pleeeease get back to me about my order!)

My iPod touch is ok but not very loud.
My iPod Classic is noticeably louder.
My Macbook is Earthshatteringly loud and how I'd like it to be with all devices.
Sound quality on all is superb.

Short of getting an Amp6, are there any improvements I could make to this setup?

Based on past experience, I'd expect the iPod Touch to be considerably louder than the Classic.

A TL072-based buffer with, say, +6dB gain would probably sort you out. Problem is, of course, finding a split supply. A couple of 9v batteries would do it, but then there's yet more batteries to sort out...

Alternatively, a bluetooth module or iPod docking station would probably do nicely.

Its worth checking to find one that'll work on 12v, but bluetooth capability is always a plus!

Chris

Lots of people in the same situation buy a headphone preamp like a FiiO E3. Superb sound quality. Runs forever on a single AAA battery. Weighs about 50 grams. Costs about £15

If you only use iphone/ipod with the old plug type then I recommend the FiiO E1 which is my personal favorite especially since I use the infamously low output nano 3g (fat boy) but which also have the best wolfson codec of any apple device.

Tons of similar alternatives to the FiiO's as well.

EDIT: If you can you can also remove the 2 feedback resistor (marked 20K) and replace them with resistor of higher value. That will increase gain. 82K ohm will be good for low output device. 100K only if you have extremely low output devices but then it's better to have a preamp for that device because it also raises the noise floor. Not very noticeable outdoors though especially compared to indoors but can be a little annoying.

Note that when you use the macbook you then have to turn the volume way down or you'll overload the chip (it won't take damage, it'll just shut down).

Last edited:
I hooked up a Fiio E6 with Fiio L9 LOD cord to my old ipod nao and my "mini-boominator" (another great Saturnus design..Thanks!) is uncomfortably loud with no distortion.

You can get the E6 and L9 cord together for about $30 on Amazon, I order mine from Emusic Enterprise and then were great.

You can then have this nice little pre-amp to bring around with you if you can't bring the boominator.

Fiio E6 and L9 with "Mini-Boominator

Here is my Fiio E6 with L9 that I was talking about above hooked up to my old school Ipod Nano. And there is also a pictue of my 7 year old and 4 year old with my "Mini-Boominator"....they call it "Big Red"

Attachments

• IMG_20130519_160602_170_zps06892e22.jpg
    IMG_20130519_160602_170_zps06892e22.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_20130519_160530_971_zps7f3bbede.jpg
    IMG_20130519_160530_971_zps7f3bbede.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_20130530_130814_229_zpsf527d117.jpg
    IMG_20130530_130814_229_zpsf527d117.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 173
Hands down my Boominator is now one of my favourite things!!!

It's addictive isn't it? :)

In the start of this thread (a long time ago) I told I built two Boominators, one for a friend. He later said after a summer of using it constantly and a winter with it in his winter house in Brazil that he was considering painting a face on it and calling it Alice. :D

You have no idea how addictive this is becoming in our house.....

A question about amps. I can't afford the amp 6 for my full sized Boominator. So would you recommend a Hifimediy T1-M based on tk2050 or a ta2020 amp?

The one pictured above is actually fairly decent for a cheapo TA2020 board.

I'd always recommend a TA2020 over any currently available 24V volt capable amps due to the idle consumption of most of these being much too high. And for most uses the output from a TA2020 is more than enough.

It's addictive isn't it? :)

In the start of this thread (a long time ago) I told I built two Boominators, one for a friend. He later said after a summer of using it constantly and a winter with it in his winter house in Brazil that he was considering painting a face on it and calling it Alice. :D

Brilliant!
My daughter was looking at mine and thought the speaker grills could make a Monkey face...she wanted to draw on a nose and mouth etc... and call it the "Monkinator"

EDIT: If you can you can also remove the 2 feedback resistor (marked 20K) and replace them with resistor of higher value. That will increase gain. 82K ohm will be good for low output device. 100K only if you have extremely low output devices but then it's better to have a preamp for that device because it also raises the noise floor. Not very noticeable outdoors though especially compared to indoors but can be a little annoying.

Do you mean these lads marked with the arrows??
Or the two blue ones at either side at the top of the pic?