The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Thanks for input.

The reason why I chose to put 3 batteries is simply that I can fit it and to have as many hours of playtime as possible. I'm using a TA2020 based SMSL Amp-03 so it's not because I'm using an inefficiant amp.

brummiejon, I saw that you in an earlier post asked wether you could have the amp turned on and in use while charging via DC charger, but I didn't see your question answered anywhere. Did you find out the answer for this?

No, my question wasn't answered but I figured that I can charge it overnight and during weekdays, I can't listen to my boominator when I'm asleep or at work!
If the solar panels work properly I may never have to mains charge it.....
BJ

No, my question wasn't answered but I figured that I can charge it overnight and during weekdays, I can't listen to my boominator when I'm asleep or at work!
If the solar panels work properly I may never have to mains charge it.....
BJ

hehe true. I'm leaving solar panels out of the project for now.

Still though I'm curious to the answer of the question, so if anybody knows, it would be apreciated.

For those who can't remember the question

Bump this question......

Thanks for your time Saturnus

Here is a revised diagram

The voltmeter that I bought is lit with colour changing LED's, it looks really cool so I was hoping to be able to leave it on. When it is off you can only see a black panel (I was a bit dissapointed with that).... I do get your point about measuring unloaded battery voltage tho. so I'll consider changing it in the circuit, I could even have an on/off switch instead of a momentary switch so I could choose to have it on or off during playing.

I never thought about the 12v out doubling as the 12v in.... genius.

Considering that the current is reversed during battery charging, does that mean that the boominator can't be played whilst charging?
Does the reversing of the polarity during charging put the AMP6 at risk in any way?

Ta

BJ

The amp can handle it. Read the charger spec sheet or ask the manufacturer if it can.

And the polarity isn't reversed during charging. Whatever gave you that idea?

(EDIT: I should note this question has been asked and answered a few times here already).

I thought that to charge a lead acid battery the charge current was fed into the battery in the opposite direction to the discharge current.....

Told you I'm not so hot with electronics, but I'm learning a lot through this build..... I've really got the bug now....

BJ

Good Amps Stateside...

Hello all,

I've been reading and reading this thread ~ its wonderful. Question ~

I use the lepai 2020 and the sure tk2050 amps with my projects. They are affordable and easy to acquire in the US.

What improvements will I see going to different amplifiers? I would love to have more volume and bass response from 12v. Are there any boards found in the US that will make a noticeable improvement on the lepai?

And for 24v, I could not find a TAA4100A board online, so I wondered if I should continue to use the sure tk2050, as I have had such good luck with it.

I realize there must be some excellent treads on this, my apologies for bringing it up again~

Sincerely, Mr trying to get louder outside, and stay simple.

I bought one of these

CTEK XS 0.8 Car Battery Charger - the smartest battery chargers in the world!

It can be left plugged in and used as a power supply.
It has a nice little panel mount socket with a cap and a battery power indicator light.
Should do the job.

I'm looking at something like this: Intellignet Charger DC14 4V 3A for 12V Lead Acid Battery w Crocodile Clips EU | eBay

This one is 3A compared to yours 0.8A which to my knowledge allows faster charging of the batteries, which to me would be an advantage.

What I don't know is whether this could be bad for the batteries and possibly wear them down faster than with a smaller charger.

Also, I know CTEK and afaik it's quility. The one I'm looking at is a cheap chinese one.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm new to all this and I wanna get everything right.

If I mount a cigarette outlet, is it then gonna drain power from the battery even if I'm not using the outlet?

I'm guessing not, but the reason I'm asking is that on some of the wiring diagrams in this thread a on/off switch is connected.

I cant find the actual resonance frequency of the P-Audio PHT-407N, but judged by the frequency graph (from P.Audio) its around 2K. It seems very optimistic only to use a first order filter to reach a 10" bass driver.
Any particular reason behind this filter, do you have any measurements?
I really like the design, but IMHO its a pity its so "dumped" down. I can understand the wish not to include crossovers at all, but IMO the consequences are too bad.

I cant find the actual resonance frequency of the P-Audio PHT-407N, but judged by the frequency graph (from P.Audio) its around 2K. It seems very optimistic only to use a first order filter to reach a 10" bass driver.
Any particular reason behind this filter, do you have any measurements?
I really like the design, but IMHO its a pity its so "dumped" down. I can understand the wish not to include crossovers at all, but IMO the consequences are too bad.

The filter works fine. However, please understand that I don't recommend the passive filter at all. With the PHT-407N it is strongly recommended to use active filtering, like a miniDSP.

?

What are you asking? That is the intention with active filtering.

Ok, since I haven't yet acquired the skills to build an amp 9, I'll need two amp 6's..... I'm not sure if I have room for them and a mini dsp in my electronics compartment..... Also, two amps are going to drain my battery, how long running time would I get out of 2 x 7.2ah sla's running a mini dsp and two amp6's ?

BJ