The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

It seems to me that the HP10IT is just a name that Intertechnik has invented, so it could be the HP10W they are selling.
HP10T (not IT) is a different driver, that can't be used in a boominator.

You're right. I didn't even notice the I.

How stupid of Intertechnik to rename a well known driver to something that is easily confused with a totally different driver of the same manufacturer.

Hi all
I'm just about to start construction of my own Boominator and I have a query regarding power supply.
I'd like to put in a mains 220v supply possibly a hacked PC power supply?
I'd like this to charge the batteries when plugged in and playing, has anyone done anything like this and could help with a wiring plan?
I'm leaving out the Solar as living in Ireland it wouldn't be a lot of use!!!
Any help would be great!
Thanks.

Hi all
I'm just about to start construction of my own Boominator and I have a query regarding power supply.
I'd like to put in a mains 220v supply possibly a hacked PC power supply?
I'd like this to charge the batteries when plugged in and playing, has anyone done anything like this and could help with a wiring plan?
I'm leaving out the Solar as living in Ireland it wouldn't be a lot of use!!!
Any help would be great!
Thanks.

Bah. Solar works fine in Ireland. It's much further south than Denmark, got about the same average hours of Sun light, and if you just take the advice of using a amorphous/CIS panel, it'll work fine.

You cannot charge batteries from a hacked PC power supply. You need a charger. I advice against using a hacked PC power supply in any case. It's not a very good solution at all.

Thanks Saturnus.

It's not the Sun I'm referring to, it rains so Feckin much here that my Boominator will rarely be outside in the open!!

I thought I'd read elsewhere on this thread that you shouldn't charge and play at the same time, true??

Also, what's wrong with a hacked power pc supply?
Electronics is not really my forte, I'm learning as I go but cabinetry and furniture making is my speciality.

Is there anywhere I can donate to you for your mine of information??!!

Just want to chime in and let people know; I lent out my boombox for the weekend to my friends father for their yearly hunting trip. It was already at 50 hours of play time, and it just played another 10-15. It is still on it's first charge (15ah) and sitting at 13.1v (was 13.2 until ~40hrs). That is with light for 10-20, moderate for 30-40 and full for 2-5. I haven't even used my solar panel I built yet.

Battery for Qubinator

Hi Saturnus,

A couple of us have purchased all the parts we need to build some Qubinators. We made a special order with P. Audio to get some HP10T drivers, as we couldn't get hold of them here in Australia.

Just a question about the battery. You specified the 6800mAh or 9800mAh 12V li-ion CCTV battery pack. Is there any way to have these sorts of batteries charged via a solar panel? From what I can tell, you wouldn't want them powering the amp while being charged. Also, I've read somewhere that they should only be charged using the supplied charger.

If that doesn't make sense, I was looking at a smaller SLA battery, like this one:

Buy The Battery Warehouse 12V 3.0A Sealed Lead Acid Battery 1pk | Read Reviews | Dick Smith Online Shopping

Going by its dimensions (60mm x 66mm x 130mm), would it make sense to use this in the Qubinator? I believe there is room for the battery to sit on the floor of the middle compartment, where the space (below the drivers) is about 81mm high, 66mm wide, and 282mm long. Should be room in there also for the solar regulator.

In any case, the idea is to hopefully find a battery solution that will allow for solar charging.

Thanks!
Joe

filters again

I'm still waiting for delivery of my caps and coils. In the meantime, I have been researching and trying to understand more about audio filters and crossovers and it seems that generally, the simpler the better, with quality components is the way to go..... I trust Saturnus design for the boominator even though the coil and cap do not match in tables that I have seen for 4ohm two way systems..... What I am having difficulty understanding is that, how does the cap work on the -ve side of the tweeter? it seems more sensible to me (but I am a numpty) that the cap should be in series with the power resistor on the +ve side of the tweeter...... I'd be greatful if somebody could explain this to me......

*BJ*

Attachments

• Boomfilter.JPG
    Boomfilter.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 347
I'm still waiting for delivery of my caps and coils. In the meantime, I have been researching and trying to understand more about audio filters and crossovers and it seems that generally, the simpler the better, with quality components is the way to go..... I trust Saturnus design for the boominator even though the coil and cap do not match in tables that I have seen for 4ohm two way systems..... What I am having difficulty understanding is that, how does the cap work on the -ve side of the tweeter? it seems more sensible to me (but I am a numpty) that the cap should be in series with the power resistor on the +ve side of the tweeter...... I'd be greatful if somebody could explain this to me......

*BJ*

It doesn't matter where the cap is when it's a series resistor attenuation and not an L-pad actually. You can place it where ever you want. Same goes with the series attenuation resistor.

Had it been a more complex filter (2nd order or higher) the series cap would have to have been between series resistor and the tweeter.

Last edited:
eek

It doesn't matter where the cap is when it's a series resistor attenuation and not an L-pad actually. You can place it where ever you want. Same goes with the series attenuation resistor.

Had it been a more complex filter (2nd order or higher) the series cap would have to have been between series resistor and the tweeter.

Ok, a "series resistor attenuation" or a "series attenuation resistor".... eek, I'm lost already..... I thought that the cap was supposed to let higher frequencies through and "block" the lower frequencies at a frequency set by the value of the cap... I thought that the 4ohm power resistor was effectively an L-Pad? No!

I'm determined to get my head around this somehow......

*BJ*

Hi Saturnus,

A couple of us have purchased all the parts we need to build some Qubinators. We made a special order with P. Audio to get some HP10T drivers, as we couldn't get hold of them here in Australia.

Just a question about the battery. You specified the 6800mAh or 9800mAh 12V li-ion CCTV battery pack. Is there any way to have these sorts of batteries charged via a solar panel? From what I can tell, you wouldn't want them powering the amp while being charged. Also, I've read somewhere that they should only be charged using the supplied charger.

If that doesn't make sense, I was looking at a smaller SLA battery, like this one:

Buy The Battery Warehouse 12V 3.0A Sealed Lead Acid Battery 1pk | Read Reviews | Dick Smith Online Shopping

Going by its dimensions (60mm x 66mm x 130mm), would it make sense to use this in the Qubinator? I believe there is room for the battery to sit on the floor of the middle compartment, where the space (below the drivers) is about 81mm high, 66mm wide, and 282mm long. Should be room in there also for the solar regulator.

In any case, the idea is to hopefully find a battery solution that will allow for solar charging.

Thanks!
Joe
Correct me if I'm wrong but a SLA-battery will break if you overdischarge it.(?) From what I have read a LiFePo4 is your best choice, but it will also cost more. But I'm not an expert at all so I suggest searching about it yourself.

I'm building a Boominator with 3 12v 9Ah batteries but i didn't get a charger yet and now that I start looking around questions are popping up.

I found this Batterilader til blybatteri 6/12V - Opladere og omformere - Elektronik - thansen.dk but i don't know if it's powerful enough and if it is, how long time it would take to charge the batteries connected in parallel?

Also, I see some are mounting a cigarette outlet to charge the batteries while still in the Boominator. Are there any chargers that come with cigarette plug as standard, ready to plug in the Boominator? Or do you have to cut the standard connectors on the charger cable, and then solder on the cigarette plug?

Sorry if these questions have been answered before but I haven't been able to find the answers.

I'm building a Boominator with 3 12v 9Ah batteries but i didn't get a charger yet and now that I start looking around questions are popping up.

I found this Batterilader til blybatteri 6/12V - Opladere og omformere - Elektronik - thansen.dk but i don't know if it's powerful enough and if it is, how long time it would take to charge the batteries connected in parallel?

Also, I see some are mounting a cigarette outlet to charge the batteries while still in the Boominator. Are there any chargers that come with cigarette plug as standard, ready to plug in the Boominator? Or do you have to cut the standard connectors on the charger cable, and then solder on the cigarette plug?

Sorry if these questions have been answered before but I haven't been able to find the answers.

Hi, I can't help wondering why you need so many amp hours, unless you are using a very inefficient amplifier or maybe some lighting..... I am fitting a 12v cigarette socket so that i can charge my usb devices, phone and anything else that requires 12v power... It was Saturnus that pointed out that I could also use it as a charging socket...... I haven't decided on a charger yet but whatever I use, I shall cut off the standard charging plug and solder on a cigarette plug....

BJ

batteries...

That is quite a bit of batteries... Although, if one is using tk2050 amps or the like, they can really go through the juice. For larger systems, I have found that power chair batteries (powered wheelchairs) and their corresponding charger work wonderfully. They are around $130 for a pair and the three stage chargers are in the neighborhood of $20 usd. They need to be bought new and treated identically, but other than that, they are very affordable deep cycle batteries for 24v.

Thanks for input.

The reason why I chose to put 3 batteries is simply that I can fit it and to have as many hours of playtime as possible. I'm using a TA2020 based SMSL Amp-03 so it's not because I'm using an inefficiant amp.

brummiejon, I saw that you in an earlier post asked wether you could have the amp turned on and in use while charging via DC charger, but I didn't see your question answered anywhere. Did you find out the answer for this?

Hi, I can't help wondering why you need so many amp hours, unless you are using a very inefficient amplifier or maybe some lighting..... I am fitting a 12v cigarette socket so that i can charge my usb devices, phone and anything else that requires 12v power... It was Saturnus that pointed out that I could also use it as a charging socket...... I haven't decided on a charger yet but whatever I use, I shall cut off the standard charging plug and solder on a cigarette plug....

BJ

Thanks for input.

The reason why I chose to put 3 batteries is simply that I can fit it and to have as many hours of playtime as possible. I'm using a TA2020 based SMSL Amp-03 so it's not because I'm using an inefficiant amp.

brummiejon, I saw that you in an earlier post asked wether you could have the amp turned on and in use while charging via DC charger, but I didn't see your question answered anywhere. Did you find out the answer for this?