The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Sadly, checking back the filter posted earlier is for use with Eminence Basslite S2010.

Here is the correct filter for use with the HP10W.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...er-stab-ultimate-party-machine-boomfilter.jpg

Hi

Saturnus, you kindly worked out the correct filtering to use the HP10,s and the PHT-407N's and posted this diagram.

this was originally created for a query from someone who wanted to build using an AMP9. AMP9 has 4 channels, if I wire this into 2 channels in an AMP6, I am effectively wiring the tweeters and woofers in parallel, and by my calculations, the amp will see a total of 2ohms...... Can an AMP6 operate OK at 2 ohms, it seems to be rated to 4 ohms min........ I may not know much, but I know enough to know that I'll fry my amp if I get this wrong.......

BJ

Attachments

• Boomfilter.JPG
    Boomfilter.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 632
I've decided to build a half boominator with the S2010 and PHT-407N. I was searching through the thread for info about the the boominator box alignment and found this:
[...] And then a little trick I discovered after having built several test cabinets. If you calculate a standard optimal bass reflex cabinet for whatever driver you use with the optimal Q=0.7 tuning, and you then divide Vb with PI, and multiply Fb with the squareroot of 2, you end up with the optimum tuning for outdoor use Q=1.2, and you get rid of all those bass frequencies you can't play loud enough to be audible outdoors anyways, and at the same time the rise towards the cut-off frequency equalizes the bass to a more or less flat level when used outdoors.
If I follow these steps, it appears to me that the S2012 should (or could) be in a somewhat smaller box compared to the HP-10W. Am I doing something wrong? I'm not sure what the optimal Q=0.7 tuning is for the S2012, but Eminence's own recommendation enclosures compared fairly well to WinISD box alignment QB3, so I figured this must be close to the standard Q=0.7 tuning. Here are my calculations:

Eminence own recommended box for 2 x S2012 (size M)
Vb = 51 L
Fb = 60 Hz

WinISD box alignment QB3 for 2 x S2012
Vb = 53.46 L
Fb = 57.43 Hz

Boominator box according to above-mentioned "trick":
Vb / π = 17.02 L
Fb * sqrt (2) = 81.22 Hz

Plotting this into WinISD I don't get the same bass extension as the HP-10W, but still an F3 just over 100Hz, which should be okay, right? The reason I'm asking is that I would like make my enclosure smaller if it's possible, without sacrificing too much bass.

Saturnus said earlier in the thread that the S2012 could be used in the original boominator enclosure (Vb = 24), but tuned to 82 Hz. This looks closer the HP-10W transfer function.

In the attached screenshot from WinISD I've also put my own idea to what a box alignment could look like (Vb = 20, and tuned to 89 Hz with an F3 of 100 Hz).

Anyway, what I really want to know is: Would it be possible to reduce the box size for the S2012?

Thanks!

Attachments

• HP-10W vs S2010.JPG
    HP-10W vs S2010.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 398
Don't think I ever mentioned the S2012. Instead it's the S2010. Eminence naming (almost) always mentions the VC diameter and nominal diameter. Here 2.0" VC and 10" speaker.

Anyways. For the S2010 I recommend using the exact same box as if you were using the HP10W but dropping 12mm of the length of the port.

I know this isn't exactly the supertuned box as for the HP10W but it's done for getting better bass performance and making what you could call a signature version more versatile so that it can be used indoors (preferably in large rooms) and not just outdoors as for the HP10W.

You could make the box even smaller with the S2010 but it's up to you if you want to make the sacrifice.

Don't think I ever mentioned the S2012. Instead it's the S2010. Eminence naming (almost) always mentions the VC diameter and nominal diameter. Here 2.0" VC and 10" speaker.
Of course, it should have said S2010 and not S2012. My calcs and sims are based on the S2010. Don't know why I suddenly started writing S2012 instead of S2010 :rolleyes:

Anyways. For the S2010 I recommend using the exact same box as if you were using the HP10W but dropping 12mm of the length of the port.

I know this isn't exactly the supertuned box as for the HP10W but it's done for getting better bass performance and making what you could call a signature version more versatile so that it can be used indoors (preferably in large rooms) and not just outdoors as for the HP10W.

You could make the box even smaller with the S2010 but it's up to you if you want to make the sacrifice.
Thanks for for clearing that up. So if I build a S2010 half Boominator with a decreased Vb, how far down in volume do you think would be reasonable to go? I'm looking to build a more supertuned box, which will only be used outdoors.

Would it be a bad idea to go all the way down to Vb=17? Perhaps Vb=20;Fb=89 would be a more realistic compromise?

Last edited:
Problem is that the S2010 is actually not a suitable driver for my own supertuning. -2.83dB should be at around at or very near 90.9hz and the +2.83dB peak should be at or near 141.4hz for the supertuning to work perfectly. Bass will be too limited in my opinion with a S2010 using a smaller cabinet than the 27 liters (for 2 drivers) in the Boominator.

Problem is that the S2010 is actually not a suitable driver for my own supertuning. -2.83dB should be at around at or very near 90.9hz and the +2.83dB peak should be at or near 141.4hz for the supertuning to work perfectly. Bass will be too limited in my opinion with a S2010 using a smaller cabinet than the 27 liters (for 2 drivers) in the Boominator.
Gotcha. Vb for S2010 is of course slightly larger in the Boominator since they take up less space compared to the HP10W. I didn't take that into account when doing the sims. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll buy some parts and keep you updated on the build.

Filter for half boominator with Eminence S2010 and P. Audio PHT-407N

Here's a simple and fast drawing of how it should be connected. Please note that I made a mistake. The plus on the tweeters should be connected to minus on the amp, not the plus on the amp as I have drawn here.
I'm building a half boominator with the Eminence S2010 and P. Audio PHT-407N. Anyone who can help me change the filter design so it works with separated channels, i.e. not paralleled as the one Saturnus posted?

Thanks a bunch! :)

Attachments

• filter.JPG
    filter.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 376
Hi everyone! Can somebody tell me is there something wrong about my boombox plans?
Im not sure about that 8 ohm midbass and 8 ohm tweeter wiring in parallel and should i calculate that highpass in 8 ohm or 4 ohm? I want to keep everything in 4 ohm. There is two midbass and only one tweeter because box is portable and small.
If there is something wrong i would like to hear how you do it with same parts.

Attachments

• boombox plans.JPG
    boombox plans.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 308
Re: Filter for half boominator with Eminence S2010 and P. Audio PHT-407N

I'm building a half boominator with the Eminence S2010 and P. Audio PHT-407N. Anyone who can help me change the filter design so it works with separated channels, i.e. not paralleled as the one Saturnus posted?

Thanks a bunch! :)
I'll try to answer my own question in the hope that someone will correct me if I'm wrong :)

I did a bit of research trying to figure out how driver impedance affects the crossover. Basically I'm doubling the impedance since I'm no longer paralleling the drivers.

So all other things being equal I should then double the value of inductors and resistors while I should halve the capacitors if want to keep the same crossover. Is this right?

Please see attached modified filter.

Thank you!

Attachments

• half-filter.jpg
    half-filter.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 331
Gave up on the car-speakers after reading about that they were not suitable for boomboxes. My new plan is to build the Qubinator, but using the SA-S1 instead of the TA2024 mkII (already ordered the SA-S1). Is that a suitable amp for the Qubinator?

Anyone here built Qubinator? What are your experiances? :)

Gave up on the car-speakers after reading about that they were not suitable for boomboxes. My new plan is to build the Qubinator, but using the SA-S1 instead of the TA2024 mkII (already ordered the SA-S1). Is that a suitable amp for the Qubinator?

Anyone here built Qubinator? What are your experiances? :)

That amp would be a huge step up from the TA2024 MKII, provided it isn't a counterfeit :)