The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Driver=75 $. Fraight= 295$ =O
Madness :down:

I have finally got round to building the Qubinator! I got a Swedish friend to import the P.audio HP-10T's, but I am still waiting for battery and amp to arrive from China, before i can glue the whole thing together.

Anyhow.. I know you guys like photos, so here's a couple of the project so far.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

One question, what is the best way to fix the drivers to the baffle? Epoxy and bolts through the baffle? and in that case should i remove the rubber gasket? I remember reading something about this previously in this thread, but cant remember where, and didn't take notes :(

Last edited:
Hi again..
I have now played a lot of music with my boominator..
So soon it will need a recharge.
But i was wondering one thing:
I have soldered the cables on the battery - would there be any problems with charging the battery when the cables is soldered onto the battery?
Greetings...
The amplifier won't like the battery charger's noise or voltage. Just disconnect the amplifier power, via a power switch, prior to charging the battery directly.

I'm quite tempted to go 24v on the Qubinator. Amp9 basic and 2x Li-ion batteries (the batteries will of course be externally stored in a little pocket, together with the ipod. This will also give me double playtime in 12v mode, and i will be able to play music on one battery, while charging the other). Can anyone think of any major flaws with this idea?

I'm quite tempted to go 24v on the Qubinator. Amp9 basic and 2x Li-ion batteries (the batteries will of course be externally stored in a little pocket, together with the ipod. This will also give me double playtime in 12v mode, and i will be able to play music on one battery, while charging the other). Can anyone think of any major flaws with this idea?

Yes, the AMP9 consumes a lot more power than the AMP6, even at 12V.

The AMP6 will run nearly 20 hours at full volume on one of those 11.1V 6.2Ah batteries from eBay, whereas the AMP9 will run ~4 hours with an 22.2V 6.2Ah source.

And you also need an active crossover or a digital crossover, as the AMP9 is a 4-channel amp. At which point you are probably better off with another 2-channel amp design, like those based on the TK2050.

Last edited:
Yes, the AMP9 consumes a lot more power than the AMP6, even at 12V.

The AMP6 will run nearly 20 hours at full volume on one of those 11.1V 6.2Ah batteries from eBay, whereas the AMP9 will run ~4 hours with an 22.2V 6.2Ah source.

And you also need an active crossover or a digital crossover, as the AMP9 is a 4-channel amp. At which point you are probably better off with another 2-channel amp design, like those based on the TK2050.

I have already ordered a TA2024, I was thinking of putting both amps in it, with a switch.

I am using 2 full range drivers, why would i need a crossover? Cant i just use 2 of the 4 channels?

But you are right, the TK2050 looks like a good alternative :)

Having 2 amps in it would also give me a backup, if one of them was to fail, mid rave.

Hi guys after lost of reading in This thread I decided devices to build qubinator myself.
Yesterday I orderd my amplifier mk2 by Arjen Helder(eBay) rather cheap and good quality.But THE delivery time is 6 weeks.
I'm also going to do à mod because the signal is to low coming from an iPod etc
Would it be possible to use à bass treble circuit without losing audio quality ?
I've also found à shop in Belgium to deliver the p audio hp 10t( these drivers are hard to get).
In à couple of weeks i'm going to start building my qubinator :).

Last edited:
Hi guys after lost of reading in This thread I decided devices to build qubinator myself.
Yesterday I orderd my amplifier mk2 by Arjen Helder(eBay) rather cheap and good quality.But THE delivery time is 6 weeks.
I'm also going to do à mod because the signal is to low coming from an iPod etc
Would it be possible to use à bass treble circuit without losing audio quality ?
I've also found à shop in Belgium to deliver the p audio hp 10t( these drivers are hard to get).
In à couple of weeks i'm going to start building my qubinator :).

Hey, nice to know i am not alone anymore :)

Sure it isn't max 6 weeks? I usually get stuff form ebay within 3 weeks, even from china. It will also take you a while to do all the woodwork, so should be good timing.

Without knowing allot about amps, i am guessing that adding bass and treble will draw more power, and may result in quality loss. Please correct me if i am wrong.

If i can give you some advice, stick to the original design with 9mm ply. Unless of course you want to spend some quality time with your router...

I just received the battery a few minutes ago, and have more or less finished the woodwork. So now i just need the amp, and i am good to go :)

Good luck with it.

Madness :down:

I have finally got round to building the Qubinator! I got a Swedish friend to import the P.audio HP-10T's, but I am still waiting for battery and amp to arrive from China, before i can glue the whole thing together.

Anyhow.. I know you guys like photos, so here's a couple of the project so far.

Why did you cut these cirkel's on the side and at the botom.
When I look at Saturnus his design in sketchup they aren't present ??

Nearly finished my Qubinator build, just missing the electronics now. First of all, will this charger work with my batteries?

I have spent all day trying to make a wiring diagram, but can't find a solution :(
I have bought 2x 12v batteries, a 3 way switch with 2 circuits, a fuse, a 12v AMP and a 24v AMP. I want to connect them so the 12v amp is powered by the the two batteries in parallel, and the 24v amp is powered by the batteries in serial. only one amp must be switched on at a time. I can't figure out how to connect it all together, or if it is even possible with that switch. Do i need to get a switch with more circuits, or is it somehow possible with this one?