The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

We already have an Ion Block Rocker in our camp, it only lasts about 12h on battery, doesn't play that loud, and sound quality isn't amazing. Do you think the cube will be a big upgrade, or should i just go with the full on Boominator?

The Qubiantor is designed with the express purpose of beating the crap out of a ion block rocker. And although I've not built a Qubinator yet, I can safely say that it will.

The Qubinator has a 2x10W fairly good quality class D amp
The ion block rocker has a 1x15W questionable quality class AB amp

The Qubinator has 2 rather good sounding semi-pro 10" full-range drivers
The ion blocker rocker has a cheap as dirt 8" woofer + 1" dome pair

The Qubinator will be able to reach roughly 109dB in peak output easily (the Boominator has a peak output capacity of 118dB/12V and 123dB/24V)
The ion block rocker will be struggle to reach 104dB peak output

The Qubinator will last about 30 hours on a battery charge at max volume, and battery is replaceable
The ion block rocker will last about 4 hours on a battery charge at max volume. Battery is not replaceable

The Qubinator is 27 liters in volume and weighs 9 kg
The ion block rocker is 88 liters in volume and weighs 12 kg

But I'd always recommend the Boominator over a Qubinator (or Halfinator) since it's many times better in every way. Don't think that by building a Qubinator (or halfinator) that you'll get something that is half as good as the Boominator. It's wont be.

(EDIT: Btw, if you search alibaba you can find a noname block rocker, meaning exactly the same just without the name on it so you put your own name there, for $55 each in lots of 1000 pcs. Think that sort of settles why the ion block rocker is utter crap and don't even deserve to be compared with neither the Qubinator or the Boominator)

Last edited:
Hey did you get any further designing the "micro" boominator?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...ab-ultimate-party-machine-27.html#post1734325

500x150x150mm is perfect for fitting in aircraft cabin luggage... I have a Logitech s715i now, but it's not ideal.

I am also curious about this "Micro Boominator", since I have some of the Monacor SP-60/4's for a "Micro Halfinator" speaker.

Not beyond helping people on the 41hz.com forum design theirs.

It's not a design I'm interested in anymore, so I'm not going to pursue it further.

Not beyond helping people on the 41hz.com forum design theirs. It's not a design I'm interested in anymore, so I'm not going to pursue it further.
So, here's an example of the huge prices for little suitcase size projects: The BoomCase Store / Store Front I wonder how they got some of those driver combinations to work reasonably?

Last edited:
So, here's an example of the huge prices for little suitcase size projects: The BoomCase Store / Store Front I wonder how they got some of those driver combinations to work reasonably?

They didn't. The boomcases are all crap in sound quality and only made for the visual effect of what looks cool. In some, not even all the drivers are actually connected.