The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Hi There
First of all, thanks for alle the inspiration in here, especially you Saturnus. i just finished a boominator after saturnus design, but im having trouble whith the p.audio tweeters. They have a nasty itch in high volume and take completely over in low volume, i tried a 100, 150 and 220 ohm resistor but they took about 90% of the tveeters volume. Anybody have a solution for this?

Which exact tweeters are you using?

Actually. What's your entire set up?

Last edited:
Did you build the suggested filter for the PHT-407N and HP10W when using that combo?

Remember these aren't piezo tweeter so you can't just stick a resistor to it and hope it works. I'm surprised it's even lasted more than a few seconds without a filter but it is a fairly robust tweeter.

Did you build the suggested filter for the PHT-407N and HP10W when using that combo?

Remember these aren't piezo tweeter so you can't just stick a resistor to it and hope it works. I'm surprised it's even lasted more than a few seconds without a filter but it is a fairly robust tweeter.

No i guess i missed that part. Should i build the filter og get new piezos, the PHT-407 still play but has a metallic bi sound! Im not very good at soldering.

I can't be sure if you've toasted your tweeters yet. If they still work, as in the voice coil is only damaged but not completely burnt they can sound like hell. But you must stop using them immediately until you have the proper filter in place. Don't worry. A filter is basically the easiest thing in the world to solder.

I'm assuming you have the N version and not the one with a big magnet on.

Hang on. I'll see if I can find the filter schematics required.

I can't be sure if you've toasted your tweeters yet. If they still work, as in the voice coil is only damaged but not completely burnt they can sound like hell. But you must stop using them immediately until you have the proper filter in place. Don't worry. A filter is basically the easiest thing in the world to solder.

I'm assuming you have the N version and not the one with a big magnet on.

Hang on. I'll see if I can find the filter schematics required.

I probably fried one of them. They have about 50 mm magnet on.

They all still play loud but dont sound good. Exept one has a scratchy sound but not very noticeably.

The one with scratchy sound is toast. No way to repair it. Try it on when you've made the filter though.

The filter is the simplest possible. Glue the components on somewhere so they don't rattle around when playing. That would be very annoying.

EDIT: I really miss my stylus. I hate trying to paint freehand with a mouse.

Attachments

• Boomfilter.JPG
    Boomfilter.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,261
Last edited:
The one with scratchy sound is toast. No way to repair it. Try it on when you've made the filter though.

The filter is the simplest possible. Glue the components on somewhere so they don't rattle around when playing. That would be very annoying.

EDIT: I really miss my stylus. I hate trying to paint freehand with a mouse.

Thank you so much saturnus, one last thing, would these sound better and more energy efficient than bying other piezoes, the PHT-407 are not cheap you know! I could buy 4 new for the price of one.

Sound is much better. Piezos are more efficient but it'll only shift it 2-3% on the total power consumption. It's the bass the sucks up most of the power anyways.

Thanks again, ill go whith the filters. Glued the box together already thoug, but what am i a cabinetmaker for anyways.
Can i get all the parts in Brink Elektronik? And hope you make a boominator happening at roskilde again.

That cant have left much space for batteries? You must have made the elextronics compartment longer than the sketchup drawing.
Actually i think i will consider doing that. I found a (LxWxH) 181x77x167 sized 20AH battery that could fit then which would make the Boominator a couple of kilos heavier, but then im not as dependent on sun :)
Yeah we made the middle compartment wider. Actually we have room for 4x12V 9Ah batteries. (2 pairs of 2pieces in series giving us 24V 18Ah or 12V 36Ah) so we have a lot of power in our boominator :) We did this because we both have an Amp6 and Amp9, which we can swap between depending on how big a party we want :D

And just ask if you have any questions about the drawer we made!

Last edited:
About ports resonance frequency

I have been trying to google this thing and search from this thread, but I havent found answer for my problem, which is:

For my design I must place relfex tubes in the side of the Boominator and have separate handles, so I propably need to put a total of 4 reflex pipes to whole Boominator. The diameter of pipe should be around 4-5 cm.

I have been calculating with WinISD and the problem is that what the resonance frequency for the reflex pipes should be? Saturnus have explained, that the air velocity should be "too" high in this design, but how it is related to the resonance frequency of the pipe?

I have a question for you Saturnus :) (maybe to some use for others as well)

When tuning a boombox design for outdoor use you use the ISD Online (LinearTeam) calculator to get the "Optimum" Vb and Fb for a vented design.

Next we divide Vb with pi and multiply Fb with square root of 2 to get the right tuning frequency. The port length is then calculated in WinISD Pro.

My questions is: Does this apply to all speakers with the required TS-parametres?

I'm asking because I tried to do it with different speakers and I found a 6½" speaker which only required 2.37 litres having a tuning frequency of 93.83 Hz. That sounded too small to be true :)

Thanks once again, Saturnus