The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Saturnus, I was wondering about the average power consumption of the AMP6B and average consumption in general.

IIRC you said that the AMP6B has a 4.4 W average consumption with a 4 ohm load. And in peaks the AMP6B amplifies with 25 W. In this case the fraction 4.4/25 will give us 17.6 %. Since it's always only the peak RMS value that is given on datasheets on e.g. eBay and wherever, I was wondering if there's a way to generalize how much an amp will consumes in average? What I mean is: can you apply this to approximate average power consumption on different digital amps of same type and size? That's always the most useful information about a small digital amp like the AMP6, when it comes to calculations on how far your battery will last on a festival IMO.

I hope you understand what I mean :p and let's just assume that the general amp we're looking at has no LED.

Last edited:
You'll also notice that you don't need the magnet cut-out with the GW1058s because they're shallower than the original HP10Ws so they wont actually reach the center brace ;)

You should cut-out a piece of wood to put on either side of the center brace, 12mm (0.5") so that the magnet is in direct contact with center brace on the GW1058s. This can be done from the speaker cut-outs you have left from the sides.
Im planning on making a budget Boominator with GW speaker and MPT-001 piezo's. Just making plans on how to do it right now..

Im a little bit in doubt about the design you mention in the quoted text. I thought the whole idea was that the magnets should touch each other? But when i assemble, where should i put the "extra" wood(marked red on drawing)?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi from Sweden!

I just love this thread...

I've built "half boominator" with the original "boominator design".
Im using one HP10W and one GW-1058 ( So I get the benefit of both speakers' characteristics ).

But I feel I have no bass, especially low frequencies. Yes, I know that the speakers have their limitations, but I should be able to create som more low Hz.

The volume of the resonance box is 23,6 Liters. No speaker (hp10W and piezo) included. So maybe around 23 Liters?

The reflex port is circle shape and 35 mm long and diameter of 85 mm

How can i rebuild my boominator so i will have the maximum of bass there is?
Will a "half boominator" design boost the bass or just the volume?

All help is appreciated. :)

75920121113381574.jpg

You've probably inverted one channel. First check the ports. Are they pumping out air? Is there bass when you listen into the port? If both are true, you have inverted one channel. If not, then you have another problem, like a wrong input connector, or you haven't soldered the amp properly.

You've probably inverted one channel. First check the ports. Are they pumping out air? Is there bass when you listen into the port? If both are true, you have inverted one channel. If not, then you have another problem, like a wrong input connector, or you haven't soldered the amp properly.

Plenty of air is pumping out! But that should be a good sign? Like my B&W 685 is flushing out air when i turn up the volume.
If its inverted, one port should pump out when the other is not?

It's just that I want some help with how I shall tweak, rebuild, my speakerbox so i will boost the bass :)

Okay. Im pretty much ready to get started. I won't buy the Goldwood, the savings are very limited compared to some HP10W.

So my setup is:
4 HP10W
4 MPT-001 (maybe.. I read the choice of Piezo Tweeter is pretty much indifferent, as long as it's replicas.
Amp6b
Some batteries

I have 2 doubts left, before i begin ordering.

1. Wiring. I found two options (maybe im reading them wrong?), either Saturnus' post(option b) or this link(option A)

This is the diagram as it should be:

Amp + --------- Woofer + --------- Resistor ------- Piezo +

Amp - --------- Woofer - -------------------------- Piezo -
What option should i go with? (tried to simplify a little)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

2. speakers - HP10W
I found them pretty cheap on Plus Elektronik, but they have what looks like two different versions.
Version 1
Version 2

Which one to buy?

Thanks in advance!

Plenty of air is pumping out! But that should be a good sign? Like my B&W 685 is flushing out air when i turn up the volume.
If its inverted, one port should pump out when the other is not?

No. The 2 chambers are not connected so both should be pumping air in and out. And don't even for a second think you can determine whether it's sucking in air or pumping it out. Remember it does this a frequencies at around 100 Hz so it's pumping in and out 100 times a second. It's not humanly possible to determine if the phase is correct by "feeling the wind".

If either of your bass ports are not pumping out air (or very little) then you know that you have inversed phase on one of your driver on that side. If both sides are pumping out air, then your boominator works perfectly. If there's still no bass in this case you have inversed phase on one whole side.

On a related note. For the Boominator to work precisely as intended then you must build it exactly as designed. As far as I can see you have changed some dimensions. And especially mounted the woofers for the outside. The latter is a big no-no. It must be mounted from the inside as intended.

Last edited:
Okay. Im pretty much ready to get started. I won't buy the Goldwood, the savings are very limited compared to some HP10W.

So my setup is:
4 HP10W
4 MPT-001 (maybe.. I read the choice of Piezo Tweeter is pretty much indifferent, as long as it's replicas.
Amp6b
Some batteries

I have 2 doubts left, before i begin ordering.

1. Wiring. I found two options (maybe im reading them wrong?), either Saturnus' post(option b) or this link(option A)

What option should i go with? (tried to simplify a little)

2. speakers - HP10W
I found them pretty cheap on Plus Elektronik, but they have what looks like two different versions.
Version 1
Version 2

Which one to buy?

Thanks in advance!

Option A. Oh, and yes there is a pretty huge difference between good replicas (like the mpt-001) and $1 e-bay ones.

There's no difference. Both links you point at point at the same specfication sheet.

Actually the amp6 (or any other TA2020, TA2021 or TA2024) uses about 360mA

The calculation is pretty simple, it just assumes an average music level at -10dB (-9dB dynamic gaussian signal normalized to -1dB). So it's just V^2/(Z*10) to have the power consumption of both channels at full music power output. That's 300mA. To that you add the quiescent current consumption which for the TA2020/2021/2024 is 60mA, so 360mA total (assuming the amp has no LED to indicate power, otherwise add 20mA).

For the above amp, assuming the same battery, the output will be the same since the supply voltage is the same so the load consumption is also the same at 300mA but quiescent for the TP2050 chipset is 185mA plus the LEDs beside the potentiometer which uses 40mA so 525mA total.

So about 50% more consumption at the same maximum power output. However, the interesting thing is that the idle consumption is totally different; amp6 in idle uses 60mA, the above amp uses 225mA in idle. Almost 4 times as much.
just read this post again and got a little confused :b are you saying that the topping 2*30w amp gives the same output to the speakers than a amp like the amp6? so they'll play the same but the amp6 will last longer?

just read this post again and got a little confused :b are you saying that the topping 2*30w amp gives the same output to the speakers than a amp like the amp6? so they'll play the same but the amp6 will last longer?

Yes. That's what it says. I know that it's a bit technical what I wrote above but the short version is that the Topping amp has higher losses not directly linked to output power, therefore it uses much more power to generate the same output. In fact 50% more at full power and 200% more in idle.

No. The 2 chambers are not connected so both should be pumping air in and out. And don't even for a second think you can determine whether it's sucking in air or pumping it out. Remember it does this a frequencies at around 100 Hz so it's pumping in and out 100 times a second. It's not humanly possible to determine if the phase is correct by "feeling the wind".

If either of your bass ports are not pumping out air (or very little) then you know that you have inversed phase on one of your driver on that side. If both sides are pumping out air, then your boominator works perfectly. If there's still no bass in this case you have inversed phase on one whole side.

On a related note. For the Boominator to work precisely as intended then you must build it exactly as designed. As far as I can see you have changed some dimensions. And especially mounted the woofers for the outside. The latter is a big no-no. It must be mounted from the inside as intended.

Thank you for all your help! You're the best!
Where can i find a guide how how mount the speakers on the inside? So it fits without leaking air?

Yes. That's what it says. I know that it's a bit technical what I wrote above but the short version is that the Topping amp has higher losses not directly linked to output power, therefore it uses much more power to generate the same output. In fact 50% more at full power and 200% more in idle.
great! thanks man .. i will soon buy the amp and the resistors so i can get to work

Thought as much by your description of the problem. Happy you got it working. Good enough bass for you now (given that it actually has no deep bass)?

Yes, it's a big difference. Now I can even feel the bass in my stomach when turning the volume up!

But I'm still thinking of a different design. I don't like the idea of having speakers on both sides (like the half boominator), per say if there are people who don't want to be bothered more than needed. I want some more height, maybe have one HP10W over the other? Do you undertand my diffuse description?

Should i have 30 Liters (as the boominator) per speaker, or less? Im using 23 Liters now.

Last edited: